It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama pushes to extend gun background checks to Social Security

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 06:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: SubTruth
I was waiting for this......Thank you........So a doctor has the right to take away your constitutional protections. Do doctors make mistakes......Do doctors push agendas.........Can the government make regulations the Doctors have to follow.............

Your entire argument fails apart when you apply these simple facts.

Those aren't facts those are speculations. That being so, sure those are all possible, as are their opposites. Do doctors always make mistakes??? Do doctors always push agendas??? Will the Gov. make doctors follow their agenda??? We can speculate all day but it really does no good does it???

Also, like I said. I don't know for a fact who is going to decide policy. I was making the best logical guess rather than just assuming the sky is falling and "They're coming for our guns!!!!"

My argument can't fall apart when there is no argument happening. It's all just you speculating about your fears.

You agree that crazy people shouldn't have guns but you offer no reasonable ideas how to accomplish that. You just feed your fears about people taking away your guns. Because it seems as long as you get to have your guns you don't give a damn about how many crazy people have them. There is no logical conversation that can be had.

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 06:05 PM
link   
As if people who lived responsibly for their entire lives should give up their rights because trying to keep track of your bank account and paying bills is a bloody nightmare?

What have they done to even consider losing their Constitutional rights?

Nothing at all.

Stick it where people that age are too polite to say Obama.

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 06:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: musicismagic

originally posted by: BattleStarGal
Background Checks for Seniors

Seeking tighter controls over firearm purchases, the Obama administration is pushing to ban Social Security beneficiaries from owning guns if they lack the mental capacity to manage their own affairs, a move that could affect millions whose monthly disability payments are handled by others.

Sorry I posted something but it didn't show up. It was about the murder of my sister in a care home. No difference between a mentally ill with a gun and an incompetent health care worker.

I'm kind of being a little humorous in a way. My sister was murdered, not by a gun but by incompetence. I'm kind of like, hey, it's not really old people, but people taking care of people in care homes. They (incompetent help), should never be allowed to work in the health industry. Their judgement is just as bad as a depressed old person with a gun, but usually they kill themselves. The other, it will sadden my heart too much to what actually happened.

Fair? Unfair?

I knew it was coming and long over due. If you ever been a govt. housing project where they (SSI) have a payee, you'll understand why they shouldn't be allowed to own a weapon. And yes, I believe in an under the bed search is required. You'll see many ex-cons fit this example.
I knew all along that the current America's President is the best that's come along in quit some time. He's been the greatest president since, well I don't know, wasn't born then.
He cares about the American people like no other president in recent times I feel.

Thought about it and......some posters are not worth arguing with.....Sorry guy.

edit on 0700000001092015-07-18T18:09:01-05:00090107pm6 by musicismagic because: lost what i originally posted

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 06:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Asktheanimals
As if people who lived responsibly for their entire lives should give up their rights because trying to keep track of your bank account and paying bills is a bloody nightmare?

Nothing at all.

I'd like to know how many of these mass killing shooters were retirees that couldn't balance their checkbook or pay their bills? I guess they need to go after the"easy targets", JUST LIKE THESE SHOOTERS.

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Nothing at all.

When people reach a certain age and their minds and bodies start to go we take away their ability to do a lot of things. Like Drive, care for themselves, make major decisions, travel alone, etc. Sometimes these are justified and sometimes not. So why wouldn't allowing them to have firearms be included with the same thought in mind???

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 06:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: mOjOm

Nothing at all.

When people reach a certain age and their minds and bodies start to go we take away their ability to do a lot of things. Like Drive, care for themselves, make major decisions, travel alone, etc. Sometimes these are justified and sometimes not. So why wouldn't allowing them to have firearms be included with the same thought in mind???

It's a pandemic of violence from these old folk! We gotta stop em! I'll tell ya, their crazy!

Meanwhile the Progressive left MSM is still figuring out how to call this numbnuts who killed five military personnel a "white, right wing, nut job"!

Help me Lord! Help me!
edit on 18-7-2015 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 06:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

originally posted by: musicismagic

originally posted by: BattleStarGal
Background Checks for Seniors

Seeking tighter controls over firearm purchases, the Obama administration is pushing to ban Social Security beneficiaries from owning guns if they lack the mental capacity to manage their own affairs, a move that could affect millions whose monthly disability payments are handled by others.

I'm a bit sorry to mislead you. I tried to post my explanation but this site won't take it. Not sure why. But it had to due with the murder of my little sister due to incompetence of a health care worker. Same, gun, or no gun, mentally ill should not be allowed to do or have things if they are on the govt. payroll. SSI is what I'm talking about. Work for rehab (govt. SSI allows it) its sad. Sorry, but if you knew my story then you'll understand that it is not only about guns, but the SSI on the govt benefit program.

Fair? Unfair?

I knew it was coming and long over due. If you ever been a govt. housing project where they (SSI) have a payee, you'll understand why they shouldn't be allowed to own a weapon. And yes, I believe in an under the bed search is required. You'll see many ex-cons fit this example.
I knew all along that the current America's President is the best that's come along in quit some time. He's been the greatest president since, well I don't know, wasn't born then.
He cares about the American people like no other president in recent times I feel.

How far south of "Radiationville" do you live?

You might want to immediately call 911 cause I'm concerned for your mental health!

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 06:16 PM
link   
i think my post is worth repeating here...

originally posted by: Krakatoa

originally posted by: Sremmos80
a reply to: SubTruth

And well regulated, funny how that part is never mentioned.

If your only argument is slippery slope then you don't have much to stand on.
yourlogicalfallacyis.com...

Funny how people forget that in the 18th century, "well regulated" meant "well ordered", in other words, "well trained".

My post in other thread showing primary research to back up the above statement

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 06:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010

a reply to: BattleStarGal

Nope nothing to see here.......Move along. Remember the progressive ideal pushing masters do not want to ban guns.......They love single shot 22lr hunting rifles that are wood.

Do you think a person that isn't even mentally capable of handling even getting their check is responsible enough to handle a gun?

How many of those people are committing murders?

Please tell me how, exactly, this nonsense will prevent another shooting.

This is nothing but BS made to LOOK like something is being done.
edit on 7/18/2015 by Answer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 06:21 PM
link   

It's a pandemic of violence from these old folk! We gotta stop em! I'll tell ya, their crazy!

That's what I'm talking about. You can't even discuss this topic like an adult. Let me clue you in to something since you clearly have me pegged wrong. I like guns. I like shooting guns. I don't want to take guns away from people who handle them correctly. I have a very close friend who owns a gun shop that I enjoy hanging out.

However, this doesn't mean that I have lost all reason when it comes to gun safety. The fact is that when people are crazy, on bad meds that make them unstable, have become old and senile, are prone to violence against others and many other reasons those people don't need to be armed as they might shoot innocent people.

So when you grow up and stop acting like a kid with his new cap gun that wants to shoot up everything because they imagine themselves a cowboy super hero, let me know. There is a real conversation to be had here but it's impossible when all the gun nuts freak out about anything mentioned about the topic. Whether it's background checks, waiting periods or even the dreaded gun regulation. You can't have a discussion when one side can't be rational enough to have a conversation.

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 06:23 PM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

The reason gun owners are so vehemently opposed to this sort of thing is because it does nothing to address the actual problems.

If someone could show me a logically written bill that might actually do some good, I'd be more than willing to read it. Instead, they only propose feel-good nonsense that doesn't address the issue and only takes rights away from the people who aren't committing crime.

When there are countless laws on the books that aren't doing any good, how will more laws help? That's the question that no one can answer.

You want to go on and on about us being irrational and unwilling to have the discussion, how about they bring something rational to the table first so we can discuss it instead of trying to pass laws that A) won't work and B) infringe on people's rights?

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 06:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Answer

This reminds me of an old parable/story.

It's night, and a man (man 1) is walking down the street. He sees another man (man 2) on his hands and keens under a streetlamp, obviously searching for something. Man 1 asks the man 2 what he lost. Man 2 tells him, "I lost my car keys". So, man 1 approaches man 2 and begins to help him search. After a few minutes, man 1 turns to man 2 and asks him, "so, where did you lose them?". Man 2 replies, down the alley way there (pointing to a dark alley across the street). Puzzled, man 1 asks, "then why are you looking here?" With a straight face, man 2 replies, "because the light is better over here."

See the light is better trying to strip old people of their 2nd Amendment protections than it is to deal with the harder dark side of the problem.

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 06:31 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

LOL

wait, we could rise up and make a last stand.

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 06:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

Good analogy.

The anti-gun folks want to chip away at gun rights a little at a time and completely ignore the actual causes of violent crime.

The "War On Drugs" should be an obvious example of this simple fact: making something illegal will not make problems go away and often worsens them.

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 06:34 PM
link   

That's what I'm talking about. You can't even discuss this topic like an adult. Let me clue you in to something since you clearly have me pegged wrong. I like guns. I like shooting guns. I don't want to take guns away from people who handle them correctly. I have a very close friend who owns a gun shop that I enjoy hanging out.

However, this doesn't mean that I have lost all reason when it comes to gun safety. The fact is that when people are crazy, on bad meds that make them unstable, have become old and senile, are prone to violence against others and many other reasons those people don't need to be armed as they might shoot innocent people.

So when you grow up and stop acting like a kid with his new cap gun that wants to shoot up everything because they imagine themselves a cowboy super hero, let me know. There is a real conversation to be had here but it's impossible when all the gun nuts freak out about anything mentioned about the topic. Whether it's background checks, waiting periods or even the dreaded gun regulation. You can't have a discussion when one side can't be rational enough to have a conversation.

Feel better?

Let me tell you something that is SCREAMED by many of us but totally ignored by the MSM AND our bought and paid for politicians!

SSRI's! DRUGS! BIG PHARM!

Take a look at the money Big Pharm spends on advertisement to the MSM. Take a gander at the lobbying done in our government and money spent!

Do you REALLY THINK GUNS ARE THE PROBLEM?

Go to youtube and type in "Worlds Scariest Drug" then spend 30 minutes of your precious time to watch it. Don't think for a second after MKULTRA that our government wouldn't take advantage of a drug that's discussed in this video to further one of their agendas!

But let's take away the 2nd amendment away from people who are deemed unfit to deserve it right? Who defines unfit?

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 06:37 PM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

Not to dogpile on Answer's....answer

But...

The key phrase in your comment is "real conversation."

This isn't a real conversation. Taking away the ability of a person who "lacks mental capacity to handle personal affairs" doesn't do diddly to solve anything. What on earth does this push actually accomplish? Not much, from where I sit.

Do I want somebody who can't balance their checkbook and is under the care of a family member for everything to have a gun? Well, to be blunt, no not really.

But they're also pretty freaking far down my list of people I'm worried about when it comes to access to guns.

I'm not even going to get into determining who is mentally sound enough and who determines that and all that crap. The only thing I'm addressing is what impact this would actually have. And I don't see that it would have a whole lot, if any.

Hard to have a "real conversation" when there's nothing real to discuss in the first place.

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 06:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Answer

You want to go on and on about us being irrational and unwilling to have the discussion, how about they bring something rational to the table first so we can discuss it instead of trying to pass laws that A) won't work and B) infringe on people's rights?

Because every attempt to do so only gets responded to with mocking and insults and fear. So instead, how about you come up with something that we can discuss??? Something that doesn't result in me having to defend myself of accusations which aren't even correct to begin with.

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 06:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Answer

Because every attempt to do so only gets responded to with mocking and insults and fear. So instead, how about you come up with something that we can discuss??? Something that doesn't result in me having to defend myself of accusations which aren't even correct to begin with.

I'm not the one who thinks we need more gun laws.

I'm not implying that YOU think that, I'm just saying that I shouldn't be the one coming up with something... When I said "they" in my post, I was referring to the people who think more laws will somehow help the situation.

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 06:41 PM
link   

No I don't. Which I've tried to explain. The problem is them getting in to the wrong hands though. So let's talk about that if you want.

Or not, I don't even care at this point because all I get back is accusations and insults to my intelligence.

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 06:43 PM
link   

No I don't. Which I've tried to explain. The problem is them getting in to the wrong hands though. So let's talk about that if you want.

Or not, I don't even care at this point because all I get back is accusations and insults to my intelligence.

Here's an idea:

Find out why there are so many wrong hands and start there. It would prevent all the murders that don't involve a gun, as well.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join