It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Local (to me) Bus Driver Makes Local News For Kind Act

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I've ridden with this driver many a early morning. He's always very polite, greets people, asks how they're doing, makes sure elderly and disabled people are seated before moving the bus, double checks he isn't missing for someone running for the bus, he's a polite driver too. It's hard to not get jaded when working with the general public, most fail so kudos to this guy.

CBS Boston

BOSTON (CBS) – Four neighborhood kids got the thrill of their summer, thanks to a MBTA bus driver and his willing passengers.

John Lohan was in mid-route on Centre Street in West Roxbury Thursday when he decided to stop.

“I said if anyone is in a hurry or needs to make a connection, I won’t stop,” Lohan told his passengers on Bus 35.

After all seven passengers agreed they could spare an extra 90 seconds, Lohan stopped at a lemonade stand.

“The biggest thing I thought was that the children would have a story they can tell for the rest of their lives. And then afterwards, I thought, ‘Well, so do the passengers,’” said Lohan.

The nearly 19-year veteran of the MBTA said his small act is just an example of what many of his 2,000 colleagues do on a daily basis.

Yeah there's some, a rare few. He towers above them all, not just for spending 10 bucks at a lemonade stand... but because he does stuff like this all the time.

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Good show...nice to hear about the good stuff...thanks

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Beautiful post, thank you for sharing this story.

“The biggest thing I thought was that the children would have a story they can tell for the rest of their lives. And then afterwards, I thought, ‘Well, so do the passengers,’” said Lohan.

This is a prime example of possessing empathy. The bus driver, Mr.Lohan, possesses the ability to understand that his actions will produce FEELINGS that will nurture and inspire those children in their lives. He understands the power of subtle ripples...and the waves they can create.

There are Billions of beautiful souls in this world. Don't allow the mainstream media to cast shadows on humanity.

The OP reminded me of a story a few years ago that took place in Winnipeg, Canada.

Winnipeg bus driver gives his shoes to man in need

www.cbc.ca...

A Winnipeg Transit bus driver is being hailed a Good Samaritan after stunned passengers watched him give the shoes off his feet to a man who was walking barefoot on the sidewalk.

The Route 24 bus had entered downtown from the Unicity area on Tuesday morning when the male driver pulled over near Portage Avenue and Main Street, says passenger Denise Campbell.

"Suddenly the bus driver yelled, 'Hey buddy!' and he got off the bus and went up to a man that was basically dressed in fairly warm-looking clothes … he looked like he was in need," Campbell told CBC News.

"I didn't realize why he was talking to him until all of a sudden, the bus driver took his shoes off," she recalled.

"I looked down and realized the man had no shoes on, and it was really cold this morning."

The temperature in downtown Winnipeg was between 5 and 7 C on Tuesday morning, according to Environment Canada.

Campbell said she and other passengers on the bus were left speechless by the driver's act of kindness.

When another passenger asked the driver why he did what he did, he replied, "I couldn't stand seeing someone walking barefoot in this temperature like this," according to Campbell.

"You always hear, 'I'll give you the shirt off my back.' This man took his shoes off, gave them to a man that needed them, got back on the bus and continued to drive the bus," she said.

"It's unbelievable. It's amazing."

We are each bright lights that make up the collective glow of humanity. Some people, such as these bus drivers and other kindred souls are not afraid to shine that light even brighter.

“Imagination is not only the uniquely human capacity to envision that which is not, and therefore the fount of all invention and innovation. In its arguably most transformative and revelatory capacity, it is the power that enables us to empathize with humans whose experiences we have never shared.“ - J.K. Rowling

Have a wonderful weekend.
edit on 18-7-2015 by Involutionist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 02:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Involutionist

This is a prime example of possessing empathy. The bus driver, Mr.Lohan, possesses the ability to understand that his actions will produce FEELINGS that will nurture and inspire those children in their lives. He understands the power of subtle ripples...and the waves they can create.

This ad infinitum. You have yourself a wonderful weekend too.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 10:13 AM
link   
This is what we need to hear more of, and I bet there are stories like this happening all over the nation, but nobody seems to like to report anything good that happens.

Random acts of kindness. We just need to behave decently and try some kindness on for size.

This is such a silly simple example, but one day I was having a really crappy day at work and when I got home I was still all out of sorts. I was sitting around stewing in my own juice, when there was a little knock at the door. One of the neighbor kids had picked some "flowers" for me, mostly weed type things, but it just made my day nonetheless.

Sometimes just being kind and patient with people is a gift in itself.

new topics

top topics

join