It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is magic?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 03:32 PM
link   
a reply to: JokerThe1st

I think there is much confusion as to the whole debate of "black or white" magic.

Magic just is.

You need to understand the context of the act and the intended outcome before deciding if something is justified.

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 03:34 PM
link   
a reply to: gell1234

Magic, in a classical sense, arises from a particular worldview in which there are many spiritual entities that can vie with each other and are themselves constrained by 'higher' rules and laws.

The practitioner of magic attempts to control outcomes in their own interest by utilizing alliances and rivalries between these entities or controlling the circumstances of the higher realms that, in turn, control the entities.

Many of the rules of magic assume that control of apparent similarities equates with control of the things they represent. This allows for the use of symbols as a source of power, and by the reasoning of magic may seem rational, but deductively is not (for instance, we can deduce that holding a blue piece of paper does not give one power to control the sky).

It could be argued that magic is deception.
edit on 18/7/2015 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Our world is a simulation...Magic is hacking...not supposed to hack...might get banned from future games

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 04:14 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

I have read that black and white magic don't really exist. it is just magic, as there are light and dark aspects to life, the same applies to magic. I'm probably not explaining this well.

but I remember a specific example of how ancient practitioners of magic had no problems using what would be deemed "black" magic against say a rival tribe, someone harming their family/home, etc. and there was no notion of harm coming to you by you using "black" magic to inflict harm on others.

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 04:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: 5leepingWarrior
It all depends on your point of view. "Magic is just science we don't understand yet."Telepathy is an unexplained(as of yet) phenomena, but that doesn't mean there isn't an explanation for it, we just can't understand it yet. So yes, I'd say telepathy is "magic"

With computer hardware and analog telephone lines, you had the problem of "crosstalk" where the electric fields around wires would generate interference which would be picked up by other equipment. Radios and TV's deliberately make use of this effect through the use of aerials. But with advances in antennae design using fractals (Hilbert and Moore curves, Sierperski triangles), we can get mobile phones which don't need an external aerial and are compact, yet can communicate with a base station miles away). That's almost close to magic.

The equations for understanding electromagnetism were developed in the 1800's. It wasn't until 200 years later that we had the telephone, TV, transistor radios, and mobile phones.

What's to say that meatware (our brains) can't do advanced signal processing and pick up on the smallest changes in the local environment. Retinal cells can detect individual photons - that's the grainy vision you get in extremely dim lighting conditions, so why couldn't neurons pick up on radio waves? Then it would be quite possible to have telepathy. You'd need an unique resonance frequency using something of a very specific length and maybe a helical shape like various antennae designs. Perhaps there are specific genes or proteins that could arrange metal ions and trap electrical current.

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 06:56 PM
link   
The highest level of magic is the same as the highest level of religion/spirituality. It's to see magic/God in everything and be aware of it consciously at all times.

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 08:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spader
I'll tell you what magic is. Uric acid crystals that cause gout. They are magical because they are able to open a portal to the seventh level of hell. Then they drag a demon out, attach it to whatever joint in your body they feel like setting on fire that particular morning between 3-5 AM. That is magic. Black magic that is.

Then you should use the anti spell, Pour two capfuls of apple cider vinegar, into eight ounces of water. Say "Abracadabra death to gout", and throw it down .

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 09:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: anonentity

I'll tell you what magic is. Uric acid crystals that cause gout. They are magical because they are able to open a portal to the seventh level of hell. Then they drag a demon out, attach it to whatever joint in your body they feel like setting on fire that particular morning between 3-5 AM. That is magic. Black magic that is.

Then you should use the anti spell, Pour two capfuls of apple cider vinegar, into eight ounces of water. Say "Abracadabra death to gout", and throw it down .

I'd eat a cat turd if you told me it would make a thermonuclear gout attack feel better. But thanks for the tip. I haven't heard of that particular one before.

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 09:45 PM
link   

I'd eat a cat turd if you told me it would make a thermonuclear gout attack feel better. But thanks for the tip. I haven't heard of that particular one before.

Try tart cherries or concentrated tart cherry juice. Tart cherries contain two powerful compounds, anthocyanins and bioflavonoids. Both of these compounds slow down the enzymes Cyclo-oxyygenase-1 and -2, which helps to relieve and prevent arthritis and gout in your body.

Serrapeptase and Turmeric also have been praised by many.

www.top10homeremedies.com...

I hope something helps.

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 09:49 PM
link   

What is magic?

What isn't?

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 10:24 PM
link   

I use it regularly as a general health tonic, after a couple of weeks you get the "Apple cider glow" The main thing it does is drops the Blood sugar, also strips the crap of off the walls of the veins and arteries, which is in part dead calcium, the acetic acid is basically an internal cleaner.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Magic is the manipulation of another being with free will to act against their free will and in line with your will.

originally posted by: threeeyesopen
a reply to: infolurker

Right..because everyone who practices magick is self centred and only practices it for nefarious purposes..

Sooner or later, YES. No one is able to act with pure motive all the time, every time - even if they knew what the pure thing to do would be.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 02:06 AM
link   

Very politely.... If you are referring to various forms of witchcraft....

It doesn't exist, other than in the minds of men ( And women, of course.) who choose to believe such nonsense.

Stage magic is the art of misdirection and looks like magic.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 03:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: coldkidc
Our world is a simulation...Magic is hacking...not supposed to hack...might get banned from future games

Out of all the posts so far this is the truest one to me, spoken like a true chaot. except for the banned from future games part that's dependent on your beliefs.

It seems like most practitioners here still follow the old way with God's, demons, and elementals. Entities they summon outside of themselves.

Personally along with many modern practitioners we prefer to look at magick as something practical.

Magick is basically this...

Asserting ones conscious will and intention in order to manipulate and make manifest the increased probabilities to achieve ones intended goal through altered states of consciousness or other means which focus your intention and bend reality to favor ones will.

This can be done many ways and actually doesn't mater how it is achieved, in the past one used wands or names of entities due to their programmed meaning in culture and it allowed for maximum precision and focus in one's will and intention to make manifest. Hence the wand for pointing etc etc.

Today this is no longer necessary and magick can be accomplished any way the belief and intent can be given its best form to the user. Whether it's through sigil magick or mantra they all accomplish the same thing if you believe and will them to do so.

Many of the older systems will tell you it's the goal of all magicians to achieve the great work and union with the divine but this too from my self work is part of the programming and belief systems of old. It's up to the individual to seek his own path and if they choose that path so be it but we all make manifest our own journeys..
edit on 19-7-2015 by unfor54k3n because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-7-2015 by unfor54k3n because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 04:39 AM
link   
Magic is realizing that The Kingdom of God is within you and causing miracles with the power of belief/faith.

Law of Attraction...
Prayer...
Thought Manifestation...

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 06:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: chalybeate

Very politely.... If you are referring to various forms of witchcraft....

It doesn't exist, other than in the minds of men ( And women, of course.) who choose to believe such nonsense.

Stage magic is the art of misdirection and looks like magic.

I couldn't disagree more. "Magic is science we don't understand yet" from that perspective, any unexplainable phenomena is 'magic'. I have personally experienced what may then be called magic...
1: I enjoy bouncing rubber or otherwise bouncy balls. On multiple occasions, said ball has bounced unexpectedly and rapidly shot behind my head. Without thinking, or turning my head at all, I have on some of these occasions shot my hand behind me and caught the ball. One time, on multiple throws, I was actually able to do this on purpose. I sort of relaxed my eyes, locking them straight ahead, and intentionally threw the ball so it would arc down out of my field of vision. I was able to feel the trajectory of the ball, and caught it on purpose like this no fewer than three times. For sake of clarification, I was laying down on my couch, with my head propped on a pillow, which in turn rested on the arm rest. I could not see behind myself, and only partially above. Eventually however, doubt crept back in and I lost the feeling.
2. You know how in parking lots, there's those strips of dirt/grass and trees lined by curb? One time(from now on just assume unthinking, as I said it is my default state) I was walking on that curb with my eyes closed. I started to lose my balance( I'm very accident prone) and was in danger of falling. Eyes still closed, my hand shot out and grabbed a tree to stabilize myself, though I had no way of knowing that the tree was there.
3. This one fits into the category of unexplained, but I have observed many people to be able to do this, it just happens much more frequently for me. On numerous occasions throughout my life, I have been busy doing a task, when, all of a sudden, I'll look up, directly into the eyes of someone staring at me.
4. Mr Murphy and I are on a first name basis. I have bad luck often, but unusually good luck on trivial things, mainly games, from coin flips to video games. On one occasion, I was playing the treasure chest mini game in the Ocarina of Time. For those of you who have not played said game and/or mini game, the mini game consists of 4 or five rooms with two treasure chests. One contains a random colored rupee(the games currency), and the other contains a key to advance to the next room. The rewards are randomly generated each time, so the simplest option is to wait for a certain item acquired later in the game. I was bored, so I gave it a couple tries. I found that when I moved the character close to a certain chest, I'd get this odd feeling in my mind. I chose the chest that that gave me this feeling, and got the key. I repeated this until I only needed one more key to get to the final room. I approached one chest got that feeling, then second guessed myself and chose the other, wrong, one. Did not experiment further.
5. Its a sort of proximity alarm- for instance, once about a week or so ago, I was walking down the street reading an ATS thread, when I all of a sudden I snapped my head up and stopped walking- just in time to not hit a pole. A slightly different, albeit more anecdotal form is as follows. One day I was sitting at a desk at the library. The desk was up against a glass wall, and directly in front of me and to the left was the entrance. I had been reading with the book flat on the desk, when suddenly I shifted my eyes a fraction up, then snapped my head up to see two Gorgeous ladies with curves like you wouldn't Believe walk through the door.
You are right when you say it's all in the mind...Just Not the way you meant it

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Magic is faith based but it is what you make it.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 07:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: gell1234
I've looked online, I've read the wiki article...all I can find is a bunch of spells ( that I doubt work) and on wiki I found out about magic but not really what magic really is...is telepathy magic?

I also tried to use magic myself, i did not believe it until during one of my trips and travels around i visited a temple and a poor boy who worked there teached me an old irish/chinese for me to try out. I did it and for my surprise it work. But it's the only one that worked.

I'm not going to explore this in details because i already did in another thread. But i believe magic is the manipulation of reality on your favor in a very small extent...Or at least an entirity new branch of science unkown.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 10:25 AM
link   
I believe you could likely say it is slight of hand. Some on grander scales than others. To believe in 'Magic' one would have to believe in a source of the magic's power. A being or entity. Supernatural ......

I think the answer rests in clever people who were able to create illusions like this man.

www.ancient-origins.net...

There was a video on youtube some time ago, a documentary, however in a brief search I was unable to provide it. Perhaps someone else might have it's location. Never the less, I believe 'Magic' to be illusions. Otherwise a supreme being of some sort with powers unknown to modern science........ yet explainable with research.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Magics the idea that one could ether deceive with intelligence or command a subtle force with will power...Yes, I said force.

The idea of western magic from what I gather has to do with a subtler supreme power, i.e God or Satan, while Eastern seems to look at thing a little more naturally, like momentum or attaining a peaceful mind without warring supernaturals, while both can make exaggerated claims of feats.Science and magic though do seem like they can be integrated, where popular believe that calling something magical more or less means a huge lack of understanding for the most part...Almost like religions attempts to be able to narrate and dictate life.

Like lets say if an all knowledgeable Alien were believed to have been a God(which it knows it isn't), good or evil, would that alien believe in magic, or would it have a greater understanding of a science that other who have no idea how its doing would believe to be magical?

IMHO, magic over rated and can be pretty blind, but never becomes lame does it with that extra kick it could have from Dragon scales and Toad eyes.
"Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind."

edit on 20-7-2015 by Specimen because: (no reason given)

<< 1    3  4 >>

join