It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nearly 40,000 demand South Carolina remove slave memorial because it ‘shames’ whites

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: NavyDoc

I'm sure there's miniscule dosing available for the wee.

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 02:03 PM
link   
a reply to: DerekJR321

Oh noes! My city is too diverse what to do, what to do!?

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 02:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: luthier

originally posted by: NavyDoc

originally posted by: ~Lucidity
It's official. This country has gone full-on retard. If this is true. Well, even if it isn't.

arly 40,000 people have signed onto a petition to remove the African-American Monument from the South Carolina statehouse grounds after a Confederate flag was taken down.

The flag was moved in 2000 from the statehouse dome to a Confederate Soldier’s Monument nearby, and a monument to the state’s black history was built the following year as part of the legislative agreement over the tribute to the Confederacy.

The petition’s author, Keith Harmon, said the flag should not have been removed in response to the massacre of nine black churchgoers by a white supremacist who posed for photos with Confederate symbols. [Source]

To this I say the same thing as I said about Stone Mountain...history, good or bad, remember nd learn from it. Not the same as that stupid flag thing at all. Just a bunch of sore losers who can't fathom the depths of what truly compares to what.

If already posted...delete away.

Shrug. What's good for the goose is good for the gander. If claiming "offense" is enough to tear out a memorial or monument, then it should go both ways.

Its not the same. Do you think Germany has a nazi flag flying in a state capital? Not only was the confederacy treasonous it actually also was supporting the opression of people who had dark skin. The slaves were the victims while confederates the oppressors. Not to metion it was put up for the civil rights vote in protest of antisegregation measures. It was a sore loosers last stand and jeuvenile.

So basically your offense trumps somebody else's?

It's too early to Godwin--it's only page 5.

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 02:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: grandmakdw
a reply to: luthier

White shaming/blaming is alive and well
I gave only a handful of examples earlier in the thread,
I could have pasted in hundreds in the past year alone.

It is real. Expressing a reality and a fact is not whining.

And furthermore, it is the reason for the
ridiculous behavior behind the petition -
which most people who have responded to me are incapable of understanding -
that I think the behavior is inappropriate and out of proportion.

But much as people want to deny that white shaming/blaming
"white privilege" mandatory classes in schools and the military;
this behavior IS making the divisions worse,
and making the problem of racism worse
rather than better.

Even simple behaviorism in psychology
says that shame and punishment often backfire
and make matters worse;
however praising people for good behavior
and praising those who behave respectfully
and with kindness towards one another;
will actually cause problems like
racism to practically disappear.

But the media and MSM, and
certain government officials
and leaders
think shame/blame/humiliation
will make things better,
they won't.

Or the above leaders know
that shame/blame/humiliation
will continue their gravy train
of making money off keeping
racism alive and well.

We agree. Except for the admission its just human nature. I dont think its helpful to shame anyone. I just said I understand it. I understand the frustation in the black community. The stripping of human dignity is a tough thing to just rise above. I understand from the black perspective why. I dont understand why whites would be shaming other whites for what happened to blacks. I can take a little blame foe something i had no part of when the trauma was as high as it was though. Just like i can accept one of my friends who came back from Iraq is a little bitter and jaded. I can tolerate that knowing what he has been through.
edit on 18-7-2015 by luthier because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 02:08 PM
link   

It's official. This country has gone full-on retard. If this is true. Well, even if it isn't.

arly 40,000 people have signed onto a petition to remove the African-American Monument from the South Carolina statehouse grounds after a Confederate flag was taken down.

The flag was moved in 2000 from the statehouse dome to a Confederate Soldier’s Monument nearby, and a monument to the state’s black history was built the following year as part of the legislative agreement over the tribute to the Confederacy.

The petition’s author, Keith Harmon, said the flag should not have been removed in response to the massacre of nine black churchgoers by a white supremacist who posed for photos with Confederate symbols. [Source]

To this I say the same thing as I said about Stone Mountain...history, good or bad, remember nd learn from it. Not the same as that stupid flag thing at all. Just a bunch of sore losers who can't fathom the depths of what truly compares to what.

Shrug. What's good for the goose is good for the gander. If claiming "offense" is enough to tear out a memorial or monument, then it should go both ways.

Its not the same. Do you think Germany has a nazi flag flying in a state capital? Not only was the confederacy treasonous it actually also was supporting the opression of people who had dark skin. The slaves were the victims while confederates the oppressors. Not to metion it was put up for the civil rights vote in protest of antisegregation measures. It was a sore loosers last stand and jeuvenile.

No thats is a fallacy of logic. Did slaves commit a moral crime?

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Is that memorial; representative off all citizens? Like I said, your offense trumps somebody else's.
edit on 18-7-2015 by NavyDoc because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Yep.

They made some white folks feel bad about slavery.

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Is that memorial; representative off all citizens? Like I said, your offense trumps somebody else's.

Does that really makes sense?

Like i said did the slaves commit a moral crime?

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Does that really makes sense?

Like i said did the slaves commit a moral crime?

Did all of the Confederate soldiers?

What I see here is a memorial to two groups of people that are appreciated by two groups of citizens. Rather than let both memorials stand for what they mean to both groups of people, one is taken down but the other is not--this is not an egalitarian way. Either they both should stand or both be removed.

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 02:19 PM
link   
I think many of us saw this coming. Nothing will be enough.

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 02:23 PM
link   
So a nazi flag for a german group of ex nazis would also be ok?

And yes all confederate soldiers were treasonous. The flag was outside the capital right next to the road. Would a memorial Tim Mcvae be ok because some extremists feel he should be memorialized. What about suicide bombers or mass shooters? I live in Columbia sc by the way. There were about two rednecks protesting the event the majority of the time.

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 02:28 PM
link   

So a nazi flag for a german group of ex nazis would also be ok?

And yes all confederate soldiers were treasonous. The flag was outside the capital right next to the road. Would a memorial Tim Mcvae be ok because some extremists feel he should be memorialized. What about suicide bombers or mass shooters? I live in Columbia sc by the way. There were about two rednecks protesting the event the majority of the time.

You do realize that memorials to WWII German war dead abound throughout Germany, yes? One can memorialize Confederate war dead without being in support of slavery just like the German war dead are memorialized without supporting Nazism. You really need to get out and see the world.

And some people say that US conservatives are insular and untraveled...

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 02:30 PM
link   
My wife is from Poland. I have been to Germany many times even while it was still divided. There is not 1 nazi flag outside a state capital.

Ps I am conservative just like the woman who was an ancestor of Jefferson Davis who wanted the flag down.

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 02:36 PM
link   

My wife is from Poland. I have been to Germany many times even while it was still divided. There is not 1 nazi flag in a state capital.

So you would have noticed the memorials that had regimental battle flags then--or didn't you notice? You might not have been aware of what they were--most Americans don't, like most Americans don't know what the actual flag of the Confederacy looks like .

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74
(a request to prove that White Privilege classes actually exist)

Unbelievable: Harvard Students Now Must Attend Class on ‘White Privilege’
www.salon.com...
www.tpnn.com...

some of New York City’s elite private schools are giving White Privilege lessons to their student bodies, teaching them, for example, that when affluent white students talk about their expensive vacations this could be hurtful to students of color from humbler circumstances. The Department of Justice’s Community Relations Service kicked off its community meetings in Ferguson with White Privilege teachings. There are college courses, and even a yearly conference. White Privilege is suddenly a hot topic and cottage industries have sprung up around it.
readersupportednews.org...

After critique, ‘white privilege’ training company hides school district client list from public
eagnews.org...
We told, too, about a controversial staff meeting in which teachers stared at a photo of a KKK member and were asked, “When do you wear the hood?”

Public School Teaches “White Privilege” Class
radio.foxnews.com...

New High-School Physics Curriculum Includes Lessons on White Privilege
www.nationalreview.com...

The “white privilege” classes were implemented with the assistance of the Pacific Education Group, a San Francisco based firm that claims to be “committed to achieving racial equity in education.”
visiontoamerica.com...

PC OVERLOAD: “White Privilege” Lessons Inserted Into Classrooms Nationwide
www.usherald.com...
Aaron Benner, a black teacher in St. Paul, Minnesota, charged Common Core lessons about white privilege weren't doing anything to help black students and were breaking down the school system. Other educators are saying the same things, that lessons about white privilege just help teach young black people to act as victims.
But to shove lessons touting the inequality of mortgage lending and other "white privilege" topics in all students' faces is ridiculous. It is akin to doctors bringing live samples of smallpox into lecture halls to discuss the effects of the disease on humans. Doctors should know how to treat smallpox if they find it, but they don't need to expose students to the disease to eradicate it.

One guide for 4th grade teachers contains texts and lessons unified by the theme of “Meeting Challenges”. The primary text for this lesson is “The Jacket”. An interesting fact about this certain guide is it’s extended lesson plan allotment: two weeks, instead of one.
EAG founder Kyle Olson summarized the book as a “story [that] centers around a young white boy named Phil who wrongly accuses an African-American student of stealing his brother’s jacket.”
“It’s a fun little book about racism and white privilege
mrconservative.com...

Notre Dame ‘white privilege’ class promises ‘personal transformation’
www.thecollegefix.com...

www.truthrevolt.org...

insider.foxnews.com...

thisainthell.us...

eagnews.org...

Appalachian State Gets Their Kicks Shaming White Christian Students
downtrend.com...
Their big thing last month was making sure white students knew they were a bunch of racists. They put up a bulletin board in a freshman dorm telling the how “privileged” they are. Especially if they’re straight and male, etcetera.
But that wasn’t enough, really. CampusReform is reporting now that the same school has decided shaming Christians is a great idea too.
In a different dorm, they’re placed another bulletin board telling Christians how “privileged” they are.

edit on 2Sat, 18 Jul 2015 14:42:22 -0500pm71807pmk186 by grandmakdw because: addition

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 02:40 PM
link   

My wife is from Poland. I have been to Germany many times even while it was still divided. There is not 1 nazi flag in a state capital.

So you would have noticed the memorials that had regimental battle flags then--or didn't you notice? You might not have been aware of what they were--most Americans don't, like most Americans don't know what the actual flag of the Confederacy looks like .

I know this may be hard for you to get but, you are not the only educated person on ATS. And no I saw none outside any legislature.

When did the flag go up in South Carolina?

Edit the nazi flag is actually a Hindu symbol. But out of courtesy of what the Jews and others went through they don't fly it proud.

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 02:42 PM
link   

I know this may be hard for you to get but, you are not the only educated person on ATS. And no I saw none outside any legislature.

When did the other memorial go up?

Does it come down to who got there first?

You might want to look harder next you go to Germany.

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Elementalist

Or it's just people being people. If you take down my flag then I want something in return so you have to move your monument.

If group A can't have something the they'll want groups B thru Z to not have something so everything is even.

We can't have some other group having more, can we?

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 02:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
a reply to: Asktheanimals

Was the Confederate Battle Flag added to the seven Southern State Flags in the 50s as a visual symbol of opposition to segregation ... or not?

Is the presence of the Stars and Bars on the grounds of the SC State house related to that fact historically, or not?

Was it moved to the recent location from the top of the State House, or not?

As I understand it the flag was moved from over the State House to a place next to a memorial for the Confederate war dead nearby on the Capitol grounds. I have no idea of what the state flags look like, regardless of who appropriated it later doesn't change the fact it was the flag of the Confederate soldiers ( the square version was used by the Army of Northern Virginia and a rectangular version was made for the Army of Tennessee - it is also listed as the Confederate Navy Jack).

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 02:51 PM
link   

When did the other memorial go up?

Does it come down to who got there first?

You might want to look harder next you go to Germany.

Hitler created a new flag for Germany so no I don't see any of those anywhere. If you can send me a link go ahead.

I will lol very hard and still wont find any nazi flags. Maybe some from ww1 though I doubt that too at a legislative building. Inside the building yes.

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join