It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nearly 40,000 demand South Carolina remove slave memorial because it ‘shames’ whites

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 12:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

I don't think anyone should ever take away your right to say something stupid and annoying.

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 12:15 PM
link   
What amuses me is that many ats members probably rushed to sign that idiotic petition as soon as they saw this thread.

Is it wrong that I think this whole situation is hilarious? My face hurts from laughing at this stupidity.

Awesome thread, ty for the laugh.

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 12:18 PM
link   
a reply to: real_one

You're welcome. I have to admit I'm still laughing at the collective us. This tipped me over that fine line. Did a double take when I saw the headline and then looked to see if I had stumbled into The Onion.

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 12:18 PM
link   
This is an online petition right?

Bet it's a "Chicago Style" petition.

Vote as many times as you want !!!

[ now registering bots too !! ]

DaaaaHaHaHa

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

I wouldn't worry too much beez.

The confederate flag committed no crime, this memorial committed no crime. If we are going to remove every icon of cultural significance because a select few don't like what they see then we may as well wipe out every monument, Tribute or treatise.

The broken record will play the same tune- 'we need to learn from our mistakes' and if people continue to tear down the past then we will never learn.

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 12:22 PM
link   
a reply to: ~Lucidity

To be serious for a second, don't these morons realize that by signing this, they are removing the same history that surrounds the confederate flag?

They are doing this as a knee-jerk to the confederate flag, yet they want to keep the flag (which in my opinion) is more illustrative to "white shaming" (whatever that is) than a memorial towards slavery.

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 12:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

I don't think people actually want to learn from their mistakes.

I honestly believe they enjoy repeating them, just hoping for a different outcome.

What's that saying. . . something about doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results?

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 12:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

I don't think anyone should ever take away your right to say something stupid and annoying.

I agree, and you are the poster-bunny for that fact!

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Yep. This is the tit-for-tat mentality and the cognitive dissonance and the flat out childishness I alluded to earlier (or tried to allude to and probably failed). It's really got to stop. And one day, we'll all put on our adult hats and it will. Not sure I'll live to see that though.

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 12:28 PM
link   
So we've come down to tit for tat have we?
Cant say as I blame folks for doing this, I know the urge all too well myself.
That said I wonder if it isn't counterproductive in terms of letting this anti-confederacy mania blow over.
On the other hand maybe it will wake up a few complaining so loudly about the flag.
Hoping that people will educate themselves on the subject before forming strong opinions is probably too much to hope for eh?

No, I don't want to see any slave monuments (Not even Nat Turner or Denmark Vesey) taken down. It's ridiculous. The past is over and done, there's plenty of here and now problems we should be addressing instead of bickering over symbols from 150 years ago.

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 12:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
This is an online petition right?

Bet it's a "Chicago Style" petition.

Vote as many times as you want !!!

[ now registering bots too !! ]

DaaaaHaHaHa

RULE 3: “Whenever possible, go outside the expertise of the enemy.” Look for ways to increase insecurity, anxiety and uncertainty.

Glenn Beck's favorite author ... Rules for Radicals

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 12:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
Watching this debacle from London is too funny, sorry to laugh cousins, but it truly is as an outsider, unfathomable nonsense.

How deranged and borderline racist do you have to be to project your inadequacies onto others then demanding a slave memorial should be removed... And then playing the victim...

Call it playing the race card all you like...

But it's true. Undeniably.

Edit: "White shaming" lulz.

If a person chooses to be offended, a person chooses to be ashamed...

Simple.

Great response. Proves once again that so many Brits ignorance is outweighed only by their arrogance. But I'm not concerned. With the UK immigration policy having been what its been, you'll likely get a dose of your own before long.

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Interesting...7 and 9 in particular.

* RULE 7: “A tactic that drags on too long becomes a drag.”

* RULE 9: “The threat is usually more terrifying than the thing itself.”

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 12:34 PM
link   

What's that saying. . . something about doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results?

This is not insanity.

Insecurity? yes. Irrationality? yes. Imposed paranoia? yes.

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 12:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: ~Lucidity

Interesting...7 and 9 in particular.

* RULE 7: “A tactic that drags on too long becomes a drag.”

* RULE 9: “The threat is usually more terrifying than the thing itself.”

Yeah, you know, if it weren't for Glenn Beck's promotion of Saul Alinsky, almost no one would know who he was.

Not to mention, perfecting Alinsky's tactics, as do so many of his acolytes.

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 12:50 PM
link   

And thirded.

I've never felt shame or guilt for being white. Never confronted for it. Never accused of being racist for stating that I don't like Obama. Never accused of being racist period. I don't hear/read shaming language when media talks about race issues.

I think it's obvious when a person has issues with different races, even if they don't want or mean to. It comes through in speech, text, body language. Those tend to be the ones who feel these things or claim they're supposed to feel these things or are victims of others trying to make them feel these things.

Just sayin...

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

Dose of what?

Slave memorial removal?

Racist flag removal?

Maybe.

On the other hand, it's always funny when someone projects their own hubris onto others.

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 01:06 PM
link   

They have every right to free speech.
Why the f### do I have to agree to it?

But if you ever criticize free speech you're being a politically correct progressive!

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 01:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74

They have every right to free speech.
Why the f### do I have to agree to it?

But if you ever criticize free speech you're being a politically correct progressive!

Nope. A politically correct progressive suppresses free speech.

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 01:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
a reply to: grandmakdw

But we aren't. We, White people, are not blamed for everything, or are we blamed for all of the problems that Black people have.

You're exaggerating and projecting your personal opinion onto the rest of us.

(see my post above)

Honestly the government is responsible for the problems of education infrastructure, community policing, job training, job development in urban areas, affordable housing, and as far as public speaking leadership and poverty solvinf initiatives. I wouls also say some of the current so called black leadership or exploitive media hounds. The US government has failed most of the poor of any race. There have been expirements done on blacks like in saint louis, the whole segregation issue etc. Its not like the issue came from nowhere. There have been massive levels of social injustice and you whining about being blamed is just whining. Did you notice the KKK marching in columbia sc? Even with all this I still dont feel guilty or blamed. I just understand the frustration from an anthrolological perspective.
edit on 18-7-2015 by luthier because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join