It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Drone activity hampers fire fighters

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 03:47 AM
link   
I'm sure many of our California members watched the news about a fast moving brush fire that swept across the Freeway catching a few vehicles on fire as people ran for their lives......

I woke early this morning, made my coffee and hopped online to catch up on national and world events, saw the following story posted in which near the end of the video became disturbed at the fact that not only were there no less than 5 drones flying but that they in fact hampered attempts by their presence to combat a fast moving brush fire that nearly cost people their lives.

Motorists flee as wildfire races across California freeway

Television helicopters carried the scene live as the flames leapt from vehicle to vehicle while water-dropping helicopters and then firefighters on the freeway battled to get control. In the midst of the chaos, fire officials said aircraft sent to douse the flames were briefly delayed after five drones were spotted above the blaze.

It was the fourth time in a span of a month that a drone disrupted efforts to suppress a wildfire in Southern California, U.S. Forest Service spokesman Lee Beyer said.

I hadn't realized that there were so much drone activity already in certain civilian areas and that they could have potentially caused serious injury or even possible fatalities by their presence hampering heroes trying to do their jobs saving lives and property.

Toto, I have a feeling we’re not in Kansas anymore. ...

edit on 18-7-2015 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 03:55 AM
link   
I saw the story about the drones a little earlier and made a comment about it in another thread. Does anyone know if there are any laws in place about flying drones in a situation like this? If not there needs to be. Fortunately no lives were lost this time, but that's due basically to luck.

At the very least, I hope someone was able to follow some of those drones back to their owners, and have them a good lecture. Anyone that irresponsible doesn't need a damn drone.

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 04:08 AM
link   
They got keychains that turn off tv.

Why not one that kills stupid r/c drones?

Also whats up the constant barrage of turdburglars shining lasers at aircraft?
www.nytimes.com...
edit on 18-7-2015 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 04:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic
They got keychains that turn off tv. Why not one that kills stupid r/c drones?

Because R/C drones aren't controlled via infrared, they're R/C.

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 04:10 AM
link   
a reply to: AdmireTheDistance

In that case I suppose a 12 gauge would be the best tool.

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 04:22 AM
link   
a reply to: SLAYER69

Are these the same " drones "

That flew around French nuclear sites

Or are these toy drones people can buy for 500 bucks
edit on 18-7-2015 by LostAndFound2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 04:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: LostAndFound2

Are these the same " drones "

That flew around French nuclear sites

Or are these toy drones people can buy for 500 bucks

I Imagine news agencies use them now, cheaper and easier to get there than helicopters.

Can also sneak into restricted airspace, whereas "News Copter Five" can't.

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 04:31 AM
link   

I'm wondering how those cars caught fire, initially? Was it blasts of hot wind and flame, like a firestorm? Or flying embers ahead of the flame front?

If anyone knows…
edit on 18-7-2015 by intrptr because: change

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 04:38 AM
link   

Wow. That's stupid.

Interference with rescue measures is a criminal offence that gets you a 5000+€ penalty - up to jail, if someone gets hurt.

Is there any way to identify the idiots who controlled those drones though?

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 04:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: ColCurious

Wow. That's stupid.

Interference with rescue measures is a criminal offence that gets you a 5000+€ penalty - up to jail, if someone gets hurt.

Is there any way to identify the idiots who controlled those drones though?

If anybody was paying attention, yes. I'm assuming the drones in question were typical hobbyist quadrocopters, and if that's the case, they don't have a huge range or a long flight time, and whoever was operating them likely had a clear line of site to their little toys...Given the situation though, I'd be (pleasantly) surprised if anybody thought enough of the drones' presence at the time, to follow them back to their owners.

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 05:16 AM
link   
We just need drone hunter killers that follow the drone back to the moron with the R/C controller and then detonate them both.

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 08:04 AM
link   
This is going to become more of a problem as time goes on and drones get more technical. News agencies are now using them at crime scenes and things as it's quick and easy to throw it in the air and get close to the incident & get decent pictures of what's going on.
None of this staying behind the yellow tape and picturing things from afar.

When they start hampering the emergency services, it's time something was done to stop this before it gets out of control.

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Firefighter interview stated that 3 of the 5 drones landed immediately after FF Aircraft arrived while the other two remained airborne delaying efforts for about 15 minutes.

These hobbyist drones weigh what? You could probably pass a helicopter over the things and knock them out of the air with the down-force created by the rotors.

top topics

join