It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Toorale man murder mystery

page: 1

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 02:21 AM
A skeleton is found beside a river in central Australia, the skull shows classic and clear signs of trauma by a metal sword. However the man was buried 700 odd years ago, 550 years before metal swords were available in the area. The 21 minute clip in the link tells the story and the questions it raises.

Hope the link works from where you are.

Link to ABC's Catalyst program webpage

or this one

a badly written article about it: d-mystery-of-australias-toorale-man/

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 03:12 AM
a reply to: Cinrad

It's not out of the realm of possibility that the Chinese were in Australia. The dating, if accurate, would be just about right.

That could be the source of the sword.

Early 15th century China was big on exploration all over the Indian Ocean, and the Pacific.

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 08:10 AM
Some cultures may have moved forward quicker than others. I'm not saying the Chinese were 550 years ahead of everyone else, but an early version of a sword could have been made and used, before being disgarded due to time & resources maybe.
There is so much we don't know about history and how advanced certain cultures really were.

Love mysteries like this.

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 08:37 AM
from the article

“That means that there are weapons being used by people in western NSW that are creating signatures that look like sword wounds.”

Signatures, means they have no metal to proclaim "mystery weapon" The claims have been exaggerated and are based on the shape of the wound

and here Aboriginal swords, used for centuries, these specifically from New South Wales where the body was found
Mystery solved
But yanno, if the reporter hadn't tried to create a mystery from nothing in the first place...

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 01:27 PM
As marduk noted the Australians in the area used wooden "sword" clubs.
But, if in fact, a metal bladed weapon did make the wound, the dating of the remains puts it squarely in the time frame of an Austronesian expansion in PNG. They were metal users and its more likely they would have been the people exploring around Australia than the Chinese or anybody else.
Maybe the sword clubs of the Australians were patterned after Austronesian weaponry.

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 01:34 PM
I think a freshly broken stone axe could do similar if not the same damage as a metal sword when put to bone.

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 01:57 PM
a reply to: Retikx
You are correct,
but a detailed analysis would be able to tell the difference between the two.

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 05:21 PM

There is a traditional Aboriginal weapon made of hardwood called a Li-lil that actually has a sharp cutting edge that could very easily have made this wound. There really is t any need to try to attribute some mysterious metal bladed weapon to this. I'm surprised that speculation has lasted 3 years since this was originally found.

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 06:49 PM
a reply to: peter vlar

That's totally cool. Learn something new everyday.

That makes more sense than a psycho Chinese explorer goin' all Jet Li on someone.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 12:55 AM
I know a bit about how hard some of our wood can be, especially if it is old and been left in the sun for a few years. I wouldn't be surprised if this wound was made by a boomerang like they showed in the clip. You can get a much sharper edge on certain woods than with stone and they really can be amazingly hard.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 02:22 PM
a reply to: seagull

The Chu Ssu Pen map of 1320 supposedly depicts a portion of Australia. I've also heard that a more detailed map of Australia was presented to the Chinese emperor in the 1470s, but that one apparently hasn't survived to the present day.

new topics

top topics