It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Real Meaning of Shariah Law

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Being very familiar with Islamic metaphysics beyond the exoteric and superficial known and unknown misconceptions that are prevalent in the mundane and profane society, I am venturing to try to put this term “shariah” in context and perhaps offer some light on the issue…

Shariah in mystical Islam is only an aspect of the metaphysical structure of the Islamic cosmological framework.
In Islamic theory and practice we begin with what is termed the Tariqah (practice) esoteric or inner path, and the Shariah (law) exoteric or the outer path. These terms are very lucid though and mean many things, for instance both terms actually mean the same thing: path or way, but in Islamic Sufi methodology put together their meanings change in relationship to time and place and to each other; contributing to the greater reality or unity of action.

There is the sense in Sufi Islamic theory here of relativity, where any kind of law (Shariah) has built into it its own path (Tariqah) . . . in the sense that any series of laws, particularly in the spiritual sphere, has to have a tangible goal in mind to attain. Here the goal of the Shariah is compatibility with the Tariqah, and vice versa. So we can say very symmetrically that: Shariah is the law of the path, and Tariqah is the path of the law. The goal of this path—Sufism—is to utilize the synergistic practice of the Shariah and Tariqah together to reach the truth.

Essentially Shariah is the outer law that aims to deal with experiential relationships that humans have with each other within the community of humanity. For instance, the laws enumerated in the 10 commandments, or the rules and guides regarding marriage and child rearing, criminal codes and such the like that seek to instill virtuousness and peace within the individual and community at large are within the purvey of the Shariah. On the other hand the Tariqah is the concentration on the subtle metaphysical laws that govern the developmental condition (consciousness) of the individual. This includes primarily the performing of mental exercises: prayer, meditation, contemplation, concentration on certain spiritual themes, and a conceptual acceptance of the love motif.
So essentially in holistic non doctrinal, mystical Islam there is no Shariah in isolation without the Tariqah, inward or esoteric path. Indeed practicing Shariah without Tariqah would be like tying to walk with one leg.

In isolation Shariah connotes external, relative religious law but in context Shariah is an integral part of a system of synergistic spirituality.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 09:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

Firslty , I my self am a Muslim and a student of Knowledge. My studies consist of Quran and Sunna , Fiqh (The word fiqh is an Arabic term meaning "deep understanding" or "full comprehension". Technically it refers to the body of Islamic law extracted from detailed Islamic sources (which are studied in the principles of Islamic jurisprudence) and the process of gaining knowledge of Islam through jurisprudence.) Aqeedah (Aqeedah refers to those matters which are believed in, with certainty and conviction, in one’s heart and soul. They are not tainted with any doubt or uncertainty.)

Secondly ,it takes years upon Years to fully understand Sharia law & Fiqh .

Thirdly ,Sufiism is a sec of Islam . A sect that is riddled with Bid'Ah ( innovation of scripture ) and Shirk ( disbelief ).

Sufism started many many years after the the quran and sunna were established around the 9th or 10th century.

They are know for adopting "weak" hadith and using it in their schools of thought .

they engage in things like grave worship and associate partners with Allah.

your understanding is on the right path , Sharia linguistically means way or path .

To follow the sharia is the rules to following the way to obey Allah its conditions and fiqh is the understanding that.

Look all i am saying is if you are trying to understand Sharia then please take knowledge from the ones who are qualified to give it in this area . and with all due respect Sufi ideology is not who you should be taking knowledge from.

If my tone sounds harsh forgive me because when it comes to matters like this i have to stand firm otherwise people can become seriously misguided.

This is how extremism started essentially from people placing ideas on what they believe "scripture ,hadith, Sharia , means "

when in reality it had a differing meaning or the source was not authentic .

thanks for the thread .

Kap

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 09:39 PM
link   
The simple reality is that the religious fundamentalists in Islam, Salafi, and Wahhabi have distorted this spiritual, balanced approach to the religious science.

They have in all aspects totally neglected the Tariqah and any projection of it by them is highly distorted.

Their Tariqah amounts to a concept of Heaven and Hell in the hereafter.... Not any real inner effort to achieve knowledge of the unseen hear-and-now…

So the effect of that neglect is to create an imbalanced path of overly exoteric, dense dogma and reliance for spirituality on what amounts to intellectualized dogma over the experience of insight.

They must have a proof on the level of external reality of the truth of their religious belief: so consequently, like other overly exoteric religions such as some forms of Christianity, they have to rely on coercive force on non believers to justify their faith. They have no concept of inner experiential insight or enlightenment here-and-now to their distorted religious doctrine.

Consequently, everything to them becomes the Shariah and essentially they have no inner (Tariqah) path of any substance… since all the spiritual epiphanies for them happens in some mythical hereafter heaven and hell era way in the future when their sky God comes to sanctify their faith over others. There always in a conflict with the external world and can never have peace because all their projection of truth is away from the inward and relies on the outward.

What that has led to is reliance for some of them to a crazy and false idea of a violent Jihad being the end and be all of their Shariah, an extremely distorted view of even regular exoteriic Islam, let alone mystical Islam.

In essence their religious inward life is a very one-dimensional and materialistic, and those caught up in the political jihad of distortion have a shattered inward existence.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 09:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Kapusta

Sufism is not a sect of Islam. Sufism is the inner meaning of religion…
It is the actual methodology of the Prophet Muhammad he utilized to communicate with the higher realities. All your information on Sufism and mystical Islam is likely taken from Salafi or exoteric Islam which has no understanding of Sufism because of their ignorance of the Tariqah or inner path.

All you are doing is repeating some dogma some Imam has read to you out of a book he doesn’t even understand himself!

Sufism is in-fact only a European nickname for the Divine Science within Islam in which The Prophet taught to the most worthy of his students and it has passed down over the centuries through saints such as Jajaludin Rumi, Ibn Arabl, Najmudin Kubra, AL Qalani and thousands of other masters and Sheiks of the Tariqah.

This version of Islam is as ancient as any of the major 4 schools of thought in fact goes back further than them!

Certainly what is called Sufism is not for every exoteric Muslim. For there is an aphorism: Sufis are Muslims but Muslims are not Sufis.

Sufi, for example, is the advanced metaphysical mystical path that the Prophet used to communicate with the Angel in the cave.

It seeks to advance the spiritual capacities latent in all humans through its practices…

No externalist religious dogmatist who only knows and believes and hasn't experienced can even judge a Sufi!

In fact all these Imams wont even tell you what is the first pillar of Islam or where its from.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Do you discuss the rights of individuals such as wives or is it as it seems, a male dominated religion that is actually afraid of the power of women if they are allowed to be equal? Actually, I think the religion, forgetting all of the high-minded, abstract stuff, is very afraid of the sexuality of women--except those that they call unclean but yet seek out when away from watchful eyes.

(Fairly typical American male here.)

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 09:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aliensun

Do you discuss the rights of individuals such as wives or is it as it seems, a male dominated religion that is actually afraid of the power of women if they are allowed to be equal? Actually, I think the religion, forgetting all of the high-minded, abstract stuff, is very afraid of the sexuality of women--except those that they call unclean but yet seek out when away from watchful eyes.

(Fairly typical American male here.)

I'm completely lost but, fascinated with knowledge.

I think when it comes to women - - its actually about protecting them and honoring them. Except in Extremism.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 10:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

Formal Islam is a premodern religion just like Judaism and Christianity.

I certainly recognize it has archaic modes of culture and law mixed with it and will likely evolve to modernity as some forms of other religions have. I certainly hope so

Certainly in exoteric Islam some of it is still in the middle ages

In Sufism there is no such thing.

I have been amongst Sunni Sufis and Shia Sufis, and btw there is absolutely NO conflict.

There woman and men comingle, pray together, dance together and such that exists in external Islam (separation of the sexes) doesn’t exist in many Sufi lodges.

What I’m doing, or trying to do, in this thread is trying to explain the metaphysical basis of theoretical Islam and the yin yang of its core: Shariah and Tariqah on many levels spiritual and material. It is based on a theoretical mystical theory as all religions are originally based. It is clerics who have made religion a dogmatic coercive institution and have marginalized woman.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 10:13 PM
link   
This is the case of the historical situation of the Prophet Muhammad at the time of his spiritual mission. The generalized world metaphysical path was a ruptured one, and that the mission of the Prophet was meant to heal on an exoteric level, which means the Shariah; and an esoteric level, which denotes the Tariqah. Muhammad therefore was the catalyst for the perfect merging of a Shariah and Tariqah together brought to the world. In the historical dimension after Muhammad’s death this path was ruptured by what has often perverted the paths of the founders of a wisdom tradition—clerical perversion of their teachings!

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Ohh boy .... I see who I am dealing with now , your understanding of Islam Is weak at best .

I happen to be Salafi and everything you just stated is incorrect.

you are trying to merge Kjuaraij Ideology with "salafi /Whabisim "

So we "salafi" only take knowlege from the Salaf (righteous predecessors) the first 3 generations after the prophet Muhammad and of course the prophet him self .

Why? because innovation of scripture and differing ideas about Islam started to infect islamic teaching thus forming differing sects like sufiism .

here is an example tariqah A tariqa (or tariqah; Arabic: طريقة‎ ṭarīqah) is the term for a school or order of Sufism, or especially for the mystical teaching and spiritual practices of such an order with the aim of seeking ḥaqīqah "ultimate truth".

his very word you are using to try and refute me is something that was coined by sufi's .

Allah only knows the ultimate truth.

And to say our views only constitute a belief in heaven and hell is ignorant.

we operate off of fact not mystical practices that were innovated into Islam.

mystical teachings pull people outside the folds of Islam .

Now for everyone trying understand what the message I am trying to relay here Ill give you an example .

Sunni / Salafi ( what i am ) Is an Orthodox form of Islam , we only use verifiable evidence that can be traced back to the time of Muhammad and his predecessors , in our teachings .. anything else is questionable and is not to be over looked .

Sufism the have created their own ideas about Islam that are mystical ,without going over every single act of Bid'ah in suffism the closest comparison i can make is they are like southern baptist who drink poison and dance with rattle snakes.

did Christ dance with rattle snakes ?

Now , to the Op I understand why you are mixing salafi with Jihadist because over the years many extremist and jihadist have adopted this term of salafi while committing acts that contradict salafiyyah.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 10:25 PM
link   

everything you are regurgitating is Bid'ah ..

Show me evidence . In the quran and sunna .

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 10:28 PM
link   
I have just one question why is it that I see Muslim men in the summertime wearing shorts and sandals and polo shirts and their women are decked head to toe in what appears to be a heavy material garment in 100 degree weather. Is this not a form of hypocrisy?

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 10:31 PM
link   

If you are a Salafi or externalist religious Muslim then you may have an aversion to the mystical version of Islam, what is known as Sufism.

Do you know that is the real name of Sufism?

Do you know the first pillar of Islam? Not what the clerics tell you.

Are you aware that clericalism wasn’t originally allowed in Islam?

Btw I am not new to Islam.

I have been around believe me

I was calling the adhan in one of the first US Muslim communities probably before you were born…

I even know Salafi Sufis

I know Sufis who are even more religious orientated than the average Salafi

So please don’t assume

To instruct you further

When I say externalists only believe in a heaven and hell as their spiritual belief what I'm saying is that there is no concept of insight, enlightenment, or understanding nearness to reality(Allah) on this plain.

What you call facts is subjective belief

Iman

Sufis seek to experience facts through an inner experience that produces real transformation based on the guidance of the Prophet and his experience.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 10:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: guitarplayer
I have just one question why is it that I see Muslim men in the summertime wearing shorts and sandals and polo shirts and their women are decked head to toe in what appears to be a heavy material garment in 100 degree weather. Is this not a form of hypocrisy?

contrary to popular belief its a woman's choice to cover she should not be forced to do so , some backwards country's like Afghanistan ( majority sufi) force woman to wear a niqab .

but the whole point is to reserve her beauty for the eyes of her husband .

lets face it I wouln't want some dude thinking nasty stuff about my wife ...

just saying

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Everything you believe in, everything you’re saying I’ve been there.

I’ve been through dogmatic, clerical based religion.

That’s all your into whether you know it or not

It’s the kindergarten of faith...

tell the people what bidah means?

Its what intolerant clerics use to oppress people

What’s bidah about experiencing what the Prophet did on a certain level?

Those dogmatic clerics who taught you everything you know can’t give you experience of God

What the salafi have produced we don’t want to go into such as Takfiri oppression of other faiths something absolutely averse to the very spirit of genuine Islam and Sufism.

Btw, Allah Determines what's bidah not any dogmatic cleric who only wants to peddle his own school of thought

All your doing is espousing dogma from some ethnocentric sect that has produced all kinds of bidah of hatred and oppression on non muslims.

The Prophet went out of his way to save the lives of Christians and people of other faiths

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 10:44 PM
link   

www.facebook.com...

Prophet Muhammad's [s] Letter to the Monks of St. Catherine's Monastery.
June 16, 2011 at 11:56pm
In this letter Prophet [s,] the Prophet of universal peace and harmony outlines how Christian's are to be treated by muslims. Question to be pondered upon here, how close is our present day behavior towards Christian or other religions in light of this letter. Jazak Allah Khair.

In 628 C.E. Prophet Muhammad (s) granted a Charter of Privileges to the monks of St. Catherine Monastery in Mt. Sinai. It consisted of several clauses covering all aspects of human rights including such topics as the protection of Christians, freedom of worship and movement, freedom to appoint their own judges and to own and maintain their property, exemption from military service, and the right to protection in war.
An English translation of that document is presented below.

"This is a message from Muhammad ibn Abdullah, as a covenant to those who adopt Christianity, near and far, we are with them.

Verily I, the servants, the helpers, and my followers defend them, because Christians are my citizens; and by Allah! I hold out against anything that displeases them.

No compulsion is to be on them.

Neither are their judges to be removed from their jobs nor their monks from their monasteries.

No one is to destroy a house of their religion, to damage it, or to carry anything from it to the Muslims' houses.

Should anyone take any of these, he would spoil God's covenant and disobey His Prophet. Verily, they are my allies and have my secure charter against all that they hate.

No one is to force them to travel or to oblige them to fight.

The Muslims are to fight for them.

If a female Christian is married to a Muslim, it is not to take place without her approval. She is not to be prevented from visiting her church to pray.

Their churches are to be respected. They are neither to be prevented from repairing them nor the sacredness of their covenants.

No one of the nation (Muslims) is to disobey the covenant till the Last Day (end of the world)."

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 10:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kapusta

contrary to popular belief its a woman's choice to cover she should not be forced to do so , some backwards country's like Afghanistan ( majority sufi) force woman to wear a niqab .

just saying

That is BS a person I work with had an American wife (she died in a auto wreak) who dressed in pants and skirts when they were here, if they went back (to his country) she was forced to wear the niqab.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 10:46 PM
link   
a reply to: guitarplayer

Its a form of cultural oppression.

No Muslim woman I've ever known dresses like that

That's a particular school of thought in Islam

Like the Jews have Hasidm. Have you ever seen their woman and how they dress?

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 10:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kapusta

just saying

That is BS a person I work with had an American wife (she died in a auto wreak) who dressed in pants and skirts when they were here, if they went back (to his country) she was forced to wear the niqab.

I'm a women. A feminist actually.

This thread is not about whether a woman has to cover herself or not.

I really want to stay with the religious debate going on.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 10:50 PM
link   

.....*facepalm*

we have no cleric's .. and we don't follow scholars blindly.

salafi sufi ? ..... What ?

A couple of problematic ahadith for those who say the Prophet ﷺ had independent or unrestricted knowledge of the unseen:

1) Abu Az-Zubair narrated that he heard Jabir bin Abdullah say:

“I saw the Messenger of Allah stone the Jamarat while on his camel saying: “O people, learn your rituals (of Hajj) for I do not know whether I will perform Hajj again after this year.'” (Sahih)

Reference : Sunan an-Nasa’i 3062

2) Narrated Ar-Rubai bint Muauwidh:

The Prophet (ﷺ) came to me after consuming his marriage with me and sat down on my bed as you (the sub-narrator) are sitting now, and small girls were beating the tambourine and singing in lamentation of my father who had been killed on the day of the battle of Badr. Then one of the girls said, “There is a Prophet amongst us who knows what will happen tomorrow.” The Prophet (ﷺ) said (to her),” Do not say this, but go on saying what you have spoken before.”

(Al Bukhari, book 64 hadith 52)

3) Bukhari, Volume 5, Book 57, Number 21:

Narrated ‘Aisha:

We went out with Allah’s Apostle on one of his journeys till we reached Al-Baida or Dhatul-Jaish where my necklace got broken (and lost). Allah’s Apostle stopped to search for it and the people too stopped with him. There was no water at that place and they had no water with them. So they went to Abu Bakr and said, “Don’t you see what ‘Aisha has done? She has made Allah’s Apostle and the people stop where there is no water and they have no water with them. Abu Bakr came while Allah’s Apostle was sleeping with his head on my thigh and said, “You detained Allah Apostle and the people where there is no water and they have no water.” He then admonished me and said what Allah wished and pinched me at my flanks with his hands, but I did not move because the head of Allah’s Apostle was on my thigh .

Allah’s Apostle kept on sleeping till be got up in the morning and found no water. Then Allah revealed the Divine Verse of Tayammum, and the people performed Tayammum. Usaid bin AlHudair said. “O family of Abu Bakr! This is not the first blessings of yours.” We urged the camel on which I was sitting to get up from its place and the necklace was found under it.

Comment: If he ﷺ had knowledge of the unseen he would have told the people Aisha’s (radiyallahu anha) necklace is under the camel but he ﷺ didn’t know and for this reason the whole entourage was delayed.

More refutations
edit on 06/17/2015 by Kapusta because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 10:51 PM
link   
This dispute about what woman should wear in Islam goes back centuries.

When I was in the Muslim community back in the day people argued this nonsense all the time and there still doing it. They also every year dispute when Ramadan starts

Imo, Muslims should accept that indeed woman and men in Islam should dress modestly

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join