It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Starflight, The Lost Colony?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 06:07 PM
link   
I first played Starflight in 91/92 on the Sega Genesis, it was a game where if you didn't know what you were doing you'd find yourself dying quickly or running out of fuel, etc. Probably one of the first games I had to actually read the manual to succeed at the game. The music was a perfectly creepy spacey midi.

I love that you could recruit and name your crew from various alien races and even androids (humans4life) Other games have been trying to be close to this, I really liked that game FTL but it wasn't quite star flight, also during/around this same time I loved play the Star Control Series (theres a new one coming) but I ramble on.

Here is a video of the genesis version;

Crusty graphics, or are they "crunchy" lol

So that bring me to what I wanted to talk about, I was reminiscing about these old games and came across a free fan made version of Starflight, called "Starflight The Lost Colony".

Starflight - The Lost Colony is a sci-fi adventure game for a single player with space exploration, character development, alien races to encounter, and an engrossing storyline that unfolds as the player gradually explores the galaxy. The Lost Colony is based on two previous games from Electronic Arts: Starflight (1986) and the sequel, Starflight II: Trade Routes of the Cloud Nebula (1988).

Starflight features free-roaming gameplay that spans hundreds of star systems and numerous alien races. A compelling storyline pits the player against a vast enemy endangering all life in the galaxy. Hundreds of unique planetary systems filled with planets and asteroids that can be landed on and explored in real time. Players will interact with lifeforms (some hostile!) and mine minerals in order to raise capital for ship upgrades and fuel.

Choose from among three professions (Military, Science, Freelance). Upgrade your ship with new technology. Hire and train a crew. Encounter alien races–and when diplomacy fails, engage in real-time capital ship combat. The combat simulation takes place in real time, with some realism and arcade-style fun combined for a balanced gameplay. Powerups and debris from destroyed alien ships can be picked up by the player.

sites.google.com...

The graphics while inside the space station remind me of flash art but its an improvement from the 16 bit days, your captain looks sorta like he came from Sword of The Stars : The Pit, but thats okay

Music isn't as creepy.

Found a link where you can play Starflight on genesis
www.ssega.com...

edit on 17-7-2015 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 06:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

Niiiice. I'm happy you brought Star Control into the conversation alongside Star Flight. Those two were my favorite games for quite a while.

I've been considering hunting down an old Genesis and a couple of copies again. An emulator wouldn't feel right to me compared to that sweet Sega three-button layout.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 06:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Cuervo

I use an xbox 360 remote for when I play emulation on gens, mostly for shadowrun still beats the newer version imo.

Could get this;
6 Button Genesis Controller USB

I had StarControl 2 on 3DO and man, it was glorious

GLORIOUS!!!

"My trophy bone-pit.
In here is one skeleton from each of the races which I personally exterminated.
I fondle these bones and recall the fine cleansing.
Perhaps your bones will grace this pit momentarily
unless they are accidentally vaporized."
edit on 17-7-2015 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 06:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic
Wow how did i miss this game back in the day? looks cool as hell. Did you ever play world war 3 on sega?

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 06:24 PM
link   
That brings back memories. I loved those old PC-games with VGA games and Ad-Lib sound card playing MIDI sound files. The most impressive part was to have a conversation with other characters. So much work went into animating characters and making use of the 256 color VGA 320x200 resolution.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 09:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic
a reply to: Cuervo

I use an xbox 360 remote for when I play emulation on gens, mostly for shadowrun still beats the newer version imo.

1000% it does.

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Wow now that game brings back some memories.

If I'm not mistaken there was a starflight 3 that was made by the original guys.

I know there's a starflight 2: Trade Routes of the Cloud Nebula. It was only for PC, you would need "dosbox" to play it but it might be worth checking out. In my opinion SF2 was the best out of the series.

new topics

top topics

join