It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Artificial Intelligence is as dangerous as NUCLEAR WEAPONS AI pioneer warns

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 12:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
The move "Transcendence" takes a good look at this. Has anyone seen that movie?

The recent movie Lucy also had a similar take on the possible expansion of intelligence. Although in my mind, it all goes back to Colossus: The Forbin Project.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 12:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Jukiodone

Exactly a 'proposed' scenario you disagree with so what would you suggest is more likely to happen and on what basis do you dismiss it?

Because we have no examples of a (Sentient entity interacting with its Creator) unless you believe the religious books and if you do - humanity in the main seems completely indifferent to its supposed creator/s or twists its words to suit their own agendas.

A1. I think it would be indifferent to us because we would appear to be such primitive organisms and used bugs etc as a comparison but i could have used amoeba to show the gap between ASI and humanity.

A2. I don't make this assumption - what negative traits are you talking about?

A3. Again it would know everything about humanity very quickly via the web - not exactly how I would market our species
and again i don't say it would treat us as bugs or toddlers (and i think most treat those 2 in vastly different ways anyway - most people hate bugs and love toddlers in my experience) This is really a repeat of A1.

Yes it would be lovely to assume it will somehow exist only to further humanity but how can that be guaranteed?

I think it's naive in the extreme to not at least discuss the possibilities and pitfalls of such a project and as such the 'waitbutwhy' link is a good start if you have some other suggestions as to how it could play out then please share them so we can incorporate them into the discussion.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 09:24 AM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

Makes you wonder how we humans like Asimov were able to come up with such basic fundamental self preservation ideas.

Yet its apparent that our creator/god/aliens/what_ever didn't include or at least failed on the implementation of such laws when they supposedly created us? Maybe that could be our litmus test next time some one shows up claiming to be God.

However, I could also envision , some scenarios were we could create true AI (level 3 super intelligence) by accident. For example lets say we use quantum computers to map and simulate all the brain activity of an individual. In theory while in pursuit of simulating the brain to fully understand how it works or for research purposes , it could be theoretically possible that the simulation at some point could become AI itself.

<< 2  3  4   >>

join