It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Oh Dear. The U.K. Now Has A Flag Issue.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 07:59 AM
a reply to: Asktheanimals

Didn't slavery stop sometime around the 1870's? So actually no one is alive today who lived through it - so in fact its nothing to do with anyone living today, just a part of history, like a lot of history that we can do nothing about and weren't responsible for in the first place.

Sorry I am feeling warm and cozy regardless of the rest of the world's compo demands - so popular today - and vengeance vendettas. Its all in the past, beep beep move on or own up to being anally retentive and through it boring to everyone else.

There is plenty going on today to be truly bothered about which is wrong and needs stopping.

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 08:02 AM
a reply to: theabsolutetruth

Heck, where do we stop? The city of Bristol made a fortune building slave ships, should they hang their heads in shame and provide reparations or something?
Some folk just can't move on from history, including many in the UK who are still whining about events over 400 years ago.
So they made chains in the Midlands, Bristol built slave ships, where do we draw the line? As I said earlier, Wales and Yorkshire supplied the coal to produce those chains, should they be ashamed as well?

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 08:09 AM
a reply to: grainofsand

All nations had slaves and there are reports of it from mostly third world nations.

Instead of bleating about the past those concerned should be putting their energies to better use stopping it.

There are over 20 million slaves in the world, with most of them coming from third world countries. The reasons for slavery are many but the leading cause is poverty. The slaves are manipulated and exploited due to their abject poverty. It is approximated that the slavery industry generates over 10 billion dollars each year. This problem is not limited to the African continent only as it can be seen in other countries like Beijing, Bangladesh and many others.

In western Africa, the routes that were once being used by slave traffickers are yet again being used by those people who now enslave others to gain profit. The only difference is the mode of traffic: the routes are presently being traveled by vans and tracks rather than by camel. Furthermore, the slave kingpins are using modern communication methods such as mobile phones as they handle the transport of their human consignment.

Besides kidnapping, children are also acquired via purchase from their guardians for a mere $20. That is why slave trading is common in areas ridden with poverty such as Togo and Benin. These children are later sold as house servants or prostitutes for over $400 in the neighboring nations like Gabon and Nigeria.

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 03:57 PM

originally posted by: Sublimecraft
a reply to: alldaylong

I'm starting to think that this is a conspiracy set up by flag manufacturers, here's my thinking.....

All flag manufacturers world wide must have met and hatched a plan to start a world-wide need to manufacture flags but they just needed a plan.

Then one day Barry, the CEO of the international flag manufacturing union, piped-up and said " I know, we need people to buy them en-masse so get a law written to take the flag away, then everybody will burn and buy baby, burn and buy, Barry continued...lets start with dissin the confederate flag then when that ball is rolling another country pop up and we'll all ride the political correct-express all the way around the planet and on to flag manufacturing heaven".

"Waddaya reckon lads?"

"Hell yeah" they all said, then they perfected their plan and implemented it.

Bloody flag manufacturers.........and the political correct-express.

I think its brilliant! This is what conspiracy theory is all about. I reckon to recon to the refrigerator for a nice cold IPA!

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 04:12 PM
Activists get worked up over these things every now and again. Then it spreads like a virus, mutating into obsession with other issues. Then it dies out as either the activists get bored with one topic or something more urgent takes priority.

Ten years, ago a similar issue was companies making shackles for Guantanamo Bay:

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 05:16 PM
Im sorry people....but reading about the social issues we have globally....I just want to no longer be human.

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 05:34 PM

People are stupid as dirt.

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 08:52 PM

originally posted by: stormcell
Activists get worked up over these things every now and again. Then it spreads like a virus, mutating into obsession with other issues. Then it dies out as either the activists get bored with one topic or something more urgent takes priority.

Ten years, ago a similar issue was companies making shackles for Guantanamo Bay:

Having been an activist that's very true. I found myself stretching the truth and concocting issues at times simply to justify my continued activism. Activists MUST have some target to vent on. It's how one can feel morally superior without doing anything but finding fault in others. It's a closed loop system one needs to be able to see outside of. If not you become hopelessly obsessed with controlling the world (and your personal fears) by making rules for the rest of the world to abide by.
edit on 18-7-2015 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 02:19 AM
What makes me really uppity about slavery is that its still here, going on in the leafy suburbs of London and other cities right across the world.

Have a little look at the example set by some wealthy saudi's - most who wouldn't know a day's work if they met it head on, but they and especially their wives know a lot about keeping slave workers in the basement. Even Netanyahoo's wife has been accused of treating her domestic workers like slaves. So its still here, just gone back to behind closed doors of different cultures than the Europeans and Americans.

If the world needs a lesson on domestic slavery 2015, then the prime model of how to keep and importantly treat domestic staff and their regimes and rules, were perfectly laid out by the British with great respectability and dignity - watch Downton Abbey's example and simply update. People were proud of their positions and skills in those days and ultimately what's the difference between one boss and another - except respect, decent pay, a modern, warm/cool workplace and civility?

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 04:53 AM
Shall we all just abandon our history and national heritage altogether then?

Oh dear.. I hear there was also a war between Lancashire and Yorkshire.. What.. and they still use red and white roses to represent the counties?

..heaven forbid the other half found out

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 11:55 AM
Talking of flags, a friend from Northern Ireland sent this pic to me earlier. I gather it was taken in a loyalist area of Belfast recently.

I know it's a very sensitive (/volatile) time in that part of the world, and they probably don't like outsiders like me commenting on their business, but even this flag is, well, pretty 'far out'.

It reminds me of a story I heard about the sectarian divide in Northern Ireland and Scotland: the Celtic FC (Scottish soccer club in Glasgow) fans would wave Palestinian flags for some reason and the fans of their huge city rivals, Rangers FC, reacted by then displaying Israeli flags. Priceless stuff! Not least as a small (tiny) faction of the Rangers FC fans were also fond of the occasional Nazi salute (...presumably whilst brandishing their Israeli flags).

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 12:12 PM
a reply to: stormcell

stormcell: sorry for public post, but tried to PM you but seems I can't

quick question - what is the device in your animated avatar pic? Is it some sort of radial engine? Did you create the animation yourself?

I only ask as I mess about with odd contraptions and motors etc, and it looks a bit like something I had been thinking about, but not yet got round to trying to draw. Any info would be most appreciated.

oh, and sorry mods if this post breaks every ATS rule, but the mad inventor aspect of me had to ask stormcell about his avatar

(post by bettybootle removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>