It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oh Dear. The U.K. Now Has A Flag Issue.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 08:17 AM
link   
A region known as " The Black Country " just north of Birmingham in The Industrial West Midlands of England , and the birthplace of The Industrial Revolution, has began a debate about the flag that represents this particular region.

Here is the flag in question.

Can anyone spot why this flag is causing an issue?

Yes it's The Chains. The Black Country was at one time the world centre for the production of chains, amongst many other things. The Chains and Anchors for The Titanic where manufactured in The Black Country. However chains used in slavery where also manufactured there. And it's for this issue that an argument has now broken out, and for the flag to be either removed or replaced.

Article here.

www.expressandstar.com...

+29 more 
posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 08:21 AM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

To all of you who thought the United States had a monopoly on politically correct stupidity I just wanted to quote Nelson Muntz:

'Haha'.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 08:25 AM
link   

The U.K. Now Has A Flag Issue.

The issue isn't bits of colored cloth, more about burying the past.

Rewriting history, omitting parts that raise questions of government control.

Which 'old' flags are all about.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 08:28 AM
link   
I understand what this flag represents,and its very silly that its causing offence,but-

It really looks like it would work as a symbol for a Brave New World style Nazi Pharmacutical Dictatorship.
You have the red white and black Nazi colours.
You have the shape of a chemistry flask in white.
You have the chains of enslavement.

Would make an excellent Monsanto/dupont logo.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 08:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Silcone Synapse
You have the shape of a chemistry flask in white.

Close, it is a glass cone which pays homage to the area's glass making heritage.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 08:50 AM
link   

I'm starting to think that this is a conspiracy set up by flag manufacturers, here's my thinking.....

All flag manufacturers world wide must have met and hatched a plan to start a world-wide need to manufacture flags but they just needed a plan.

Then one day Barry, the CEO of the international flag manufacturing union, piped-up and said " I know, we need people to buy them en-masse so get a law written to take the flag away, then everybody will burn and buy baby, burn and buy, Barry continued...lets start with dissin the confederate flag then when that ball is rolling another country pop up and we'll all ride the political correct-express all the way around the planet and on to flag manufacturing heaven".

"Waddaya reckon lads?"

"Hell yeah" they all said, then they perfected their plan and implemented it.

Bloody flag manufacturers.........and the political correct-express.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 08:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Silcone Synapse

The black on the flag represents the smoke that was produced during manufacturing. Hence the name " Black Country"
The red represents the colour of the night sky from the glow given off my hundreds of furnaces.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 08:56 AM
link   
And the guy in question was told to hand back his OBE. You could probably find offence in any flag if you looked for it. Silly persons.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 09:02 AM
link   
The victim mindset and weird guilt are causing too many ridiculous "problems".

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Evil flags, birds and other corporate ideas:

Since it has become popular to attack symbols rather than the thinking behind them, I think it's only PC to start listing other horrible symbols in order to carry on with the current insanity.

I therefore propose the Twitter bird for sanction.

It is singularly responsible for the dumbing down of the world's population and has nothing to do with human tendencies.

Down with Tweety Bird!

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 09:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustuswMasonicus

To all of you who thought the United States had a monopoly on politically correct stupidity I just wanted to quote Nelson Muntz:

'Haha'.

Na we started it here in the UK long before the USA! We went full retard when we joined the EU.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 09:17 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 09:27 AM
link   
We could just modernise the flag so that it fits in better with modern britain, perhaps if the chains were replaced with handcuffs itwould be more acceptable. Or even fluffy pink handcuffs so that no part of society feels left out, that might make the PC enforcers quiet for a while, just wait until someone highlights the fact that my towns flag has a sheep hanging on a rope on it, the animal rights activists will be making a right meal of it.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 09:30 AM
link   

I agree with Dudley Council leader Pete Lowe.

"If he thinks the flag has connotations why would he have accepted an OBE with the connotations that has? Many refused on principle."

It seems Mr Vernon want's to pick and choose what offends him.

edit on 17-7-2015 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 09:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

'Haha'.

Except we're sensible enough to tell the PC crowd where to shove it. Nothing is coming from this and the guy is being asked by 95% of people polled to give back his OBE.

I just lay this quote from Winston Churchill right here:

"Guffaw guffaw guffaw"

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 09:46 AM
link   
True! The uk is at full retard level the us is only at the dribbling window licker stage yet but its making rapid progress in areas like making up ridiculous issues to be offended at and will be joining the uk at full retard level one soon ga reply to: crazyewok

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 09:49 AM
link   

One man giving an idiotic opinion on something he doesn't seem to be able to understand is not the same as the situation you have in the US, not even remotely close.

This is meaningless, it's not being reported by any mainstream press in the UK, and your source is one of the minority of trashy tabloid rags with less attention than the Daily Heil.

This is such a non-story I don't know why I'm even bothering to respond to this thread.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 09:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok
We went full retard when we joined the EU.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 09:59 AM
link   

'Haha'.

For the uninitiated....

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 10:02 AM
link   

'Haha'.

or.....they are just thinking of changing symbols on a flag across the pond

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join