It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man filmed a fatal car crash instead of helping. Then, Ohio police arrested him.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 09:17 AM
link   
a reply to: IslandOfMisfitToys

Varies from state to state but most that I'm familiar with its up to 30 days in jail and up to $250 fine.

If it's a first offense I doubt he'll get that much.

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 09:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Thanks for the response. Personally I would be happy if he spent a weekend in jail to think about what he did. But that's up to the judge.

Stay safe out there Shamrock. You're a good man/woman......

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 09:50 AM
link   
a reply to: IslandOfMisfitToys

No problem. He'll probably do a day or two, maybe a handful. If he's not sitting around waiting to get bonded out. And the other inmates will probably all know who he is and treat him accordingly.

They watch the news.

And thank you.

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 09:57 AM
link   
this guy's actions are sadly indicative of modern society's dwindling capacity for empathy. only last week i encountered what later transpired to be a fatal accident. i had my camera with me but didn't even turn it on. the paramedics were already in attendance but had they not been, my first thought would have been to try and help, not take photos. very sad and ghoulish behaviour.

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 10:52 AM
link   
a reply to: RoScoLaz4

Ive been first responder while Active duty and civilian before and after being a Navy Rescuse Swimmer... I ve told people call 911 while having cell phone in my pocket lol... I can't comprehend how videoing or taking pictures is even a thought, let alone your first thought. You'd have to be pretty detached from reality i guess.
With that said, its not so much lack of empathy as its not worth intervening is kindof ingrained in our heads. They told us in rescue swimmer school (yes in school) that you better thank twice because good semeritan laws very from state to state, and aside from just calling 911.. most are not worth paper they are printed on in protecting you. Luckily not something i stop to think about when stumbling upon an overturned car on interstate or something.
But think about it... Same bs criminal trespass that got him, could just as easily be used against you if you intervened and someone thought you shouldnt have.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 06:20 PM
link   
a reply to: swimmer15

Detached from reality sounds about right...

Remember Oliver Sansweet in 'The Incredibles'?

"I think you broke something."
—Sansweet, after being rescued by Mr. Incredible

Upon the most recent viewing of The Incredibles, I’ve come to the conclusion that the film directed and written by Brad Bird is not about superheroes or equality. It’s about rampant use of frivolous lawsuits. In America, there are over one millions lawyers per capita, more than any other nation. On average, 15 million civil lawsuits are filed each year, and trial lawyers earn an estimated $40billion, cumulatively, per year.

A film like X-Men would have you believe that racism and prejudice impede the exposure of superheroes. According to The Incredibles, it’s people’s greed, or, more appropriately, the fear of being sued. That said, the lives of superheroes are kept underground because their lifeblood could be siphoned through kind acts mistakenly interpreted as violating human rights. Granted, much of the film centers on family values, conflict, and the threat of stagnation, but these three tropes are challenged all because of a callow man and his nasally lawyer.

The impetus itself is merely glazed over in the film after the opening interview when Mr. Incredible saves Mr. Sansweet, a man whose attempt to commit suicide by plummeting from the roof an office building is foiled as Mr. Incredible snatches him out of the air while crashing through a window on his way to subdue super villain Bomb Voyage.

www.moviesaboutgladiators.com...

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 07:54 AM
link   
a reply to: RoScoLaz4

That is soo true, but add to that the states laws regarding Samaritans laws,

Some states offer immunity to good samaritans, but sometimes negligence could result in a claim of negligent care if the injuries or illness were made worse by the volunteer's negligence. Statutes typically don't exempt a good samaritan who acts in a willful and wanton or reckless manner in providing the care, advice, or assistance. Good samaritan laws often don't apply to a person rendering emergency care, advice, or assistance during the course or regular employment, such as services rendered by a health care provider to a patient in a health care facility.

Under the good samaritan laws which grant immunity, if the good samaritan makes an error while rendering emergency medical care, he or she cannot be held legally liable for damages in court. However, two conditions usually must be met; 1) the aid must be given at the scene of the emergency, and. 2) if the "volunteer" has other motives, such as the hope of being paid a fee or reward, then the law will not apply.

So yes somebody will think twice before helping somebody in need or injured.

The following is an example of a state good samaritan statute:

When any doctor of medicine or dentistry, nurse, member of any organized rescue squad, member of any police or fire department, member of any organized volunteer fire department, emergency medical technician, intern or resident practicing in a hospital with training programs approved by the American Medical Association, state trooper, medical aidman functioning as a part of the military assistance to safety and traffic program, chiropractor, or public education employee gratuitously and in good faith, renders first aid or emergency care at the scene of an accident, casualty, or disaster to a person injured therein, he or she shall not be liable for any civil damages as a result of his or her acts or omissions in rendering first aid or emergency care, nor shall he or she be liable for any civil damages as a result of any act or failure to act to provide or arrange for further medical treatment or care for the injured person.

Even with that exclusions family members of injured people still try to sue those that help their loves ones if they died or are of long term care from their injuries.

In America everything have a price and law sues and laws had made possible for some no to even consider to help when somebody is injured in an accident.

definitions.uslegal.com...

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join