It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida church sends $1,000 collection notice to single mother because she didn’t tithe

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 07:30 AM
link   
When I went to Catholic and Anglican Church, didn't pay anything in tithing, just contributed loonie/toonie and occasional a 5 dollar bill. Its NOT a requirement. And its for those who are well off, not those living under the poverty level with children who run out of food and pawn to buy milk.

Christ himself said the old woman who gave a penny gave more than any of the others, so any Church that has mandatory tithing is evil.

She should switch to Catholic, Anglican, United, they can't make the poor pay there.
edit on 17-7-2015 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 07:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

not really, I remember the church would have guest speakers and well they would have their books for sale on the back, all tax exempt because any "profit" they made would go into the expenses that would be required while making their rounds from church to church. I also remember going to a big tent revival that was really quite odd and in a way quite cultish. they actually have followers who followed them from place to place. they never really said much of anything about the collection plate as it passed around. come to find out the guy was living in this giant mansion surrounded by a security fence.

but what this church is doing, I have a hard time agreeing with. although it is possible that the women could still continue going to the church without the rights of being a member of being able to vote on the church business it still seems like way too much pressure for a church to place on someone attending in their church... To be honest, I'd find another one to go to.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 07:34 AM
link   
They all run on "donations". Thy have to raise "donations" from volunteer giving instead of charging admission because that would remove non profit status and require them to pay taxes.

They all do it, their little "gifting" cards, flyers , brochures, whatever. They have little checkboxes, like 10, 20 100, 'other', lol, multiple choice charity.

My mom used to go to church, she gave them her email and the computer was lousy with solicitation from them…

when she suffered a stroke and stopped going so did the solicitations. They want your money…

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 07:36 AM
link   
What ever happened to the days when all church doors were open (unlocked) all the time, and anyone in need of solace could enter and linger for as long as they chose?

The pastor or whoever was there all day, every day....I believe there were night-staff also.

This is so disgusting.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 07:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: NthOther

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

I like how you adopt this Christian persecution complex when this church is CLEARLY in the wrong here. This is equivalent to the middle ages when you had to bribe the clergy for salvation.

A) I'm not a Christian.

Coulda fooled me. Ah well. Defend the church.

B) In the middle ages, you couldn't just go to another church down the street if one pissed you off.

So that makes it ok that this church is breaking the law then?

I'm not saying they're not jerks. I'm saying that the only reason you guys are so worked up about it is because it's a religion doing it.

When you attack the people debating the argument instead of the argument itself, it is called an ad hominem fallacy.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 07:41 AM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

How can you bill someone for something they didn't sign a contract saying they'd pay? Plus donations, by their nature, aren't supposed to be mandatory.
edit on 17-7-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 07:45 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

They did that to my father back in the 60s his church didn't send a bill but they call him in from of the congregation to tell him that he wasn't paying his dues.

My mother and father stop going to that church and stayed away from religion for many years, they are back to church again, same branch of religion different church, they are Seventh day Adventist.

It seems that in this modern times religion is a big corporate enterprise that required vast amounts of fees to support itself and those that are reaping the benefits of those fees, because the God of man created by man is money hungry and property hugger
edit on 17-7-2015 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 07:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: marg6043
It seems that in this modern times religion is a big corporate enterprise that required vast amounts of fees to support itself...

Come on Marg, everyone knows God needs a circular driveway.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 07:48 AM
link   

So that makes it ok that this church is breaking the law then?

What law is it breaking? Are you a tax attorney? Do you have any idea what this church's finances look like?

No. You don't.

When you attack the people debating the argument instead of the argument itself, it is called an ad hominem fallacy.

I attacked? Who did I "attack"? I believe you were the one calling me names.

ATS has gone completely sideways again. One of those days I suppose. I'll leave you guys to your hate-filled back patting session and call it a morning.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 07:48 AM
link   

a reply to: NthOther

I care about ANY organization violating the principles set forth that allows them to be tax exempt. If you could prove that a union is violating its 501(c)1 rules for tax exemption, I'd be pretty pissed about that too. Tax exemption is a privilege and if -I- have to pay taxes, then DAMMIT any organization that doesn't better DAMN well play by the rules to maintain that privilege.

I like how you adopt this Christian persecution complex when this church is CLEARLY in the wrong here. This is equivalent to the middle ages when you had to bribe the clergy for salvation.

Side issue, but unions shouldn't have special exemptions for them cut out in the law.

Unless she had signed some sort of contract, I don't see where the church has any legal standing. All they can do is ask her not to come back. Go somewhere else and forget them is what she should do.

Any church that wants to see your pay stubs so they can tell you what you tithe is, insist on exactly 10%, writes you letters about paying up, etc, should be signals to get up an walk away.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 07:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Unity_99
When I went to Catholic and Anglican Church, didn't pay anything in tithing, just contributed loonie/toonie and occasional a 5 dollar bill. Its NOT a requirement. And its for those who are well off, not those living under the poverty level with children who run out of food and pawn to buy milk.

Christ himself said the old woman who gave a penny gave more than any of the others, so any Church that has mandatory tithing is evil.

She should switch to Catholic, Anglican, United, they can't make the poor pay there.

This. We were Catholic when I was a kid and there was no expectation of paying a percentage or so much every month, you just tossed a buck in the plate if you had one to spare.

Is this mandatory 10% thing a protestant or evangelical thing?

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 07:51 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Oh, yes and a personal gym to keep in shape too, the things you learn about what does the so call "forced donations" now a day do, from RVs so God can travel in comfort to private planes, busses you name it.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 07:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: NavyDoc
Side issue, but unions shouldn't have special exemptions for them cut out in the law.

Yea, I don't know how I feel about that either, but for the purposes of this article they DO have 501(c) status. It just isn't the same as a church's.

Unless she had signed some sort of contract, I don't see where the church has any legal standing. All they can do is ask her not to come back. Go somewhere else and forget them is what she should do.

Any church that wants to see your pay stubs so they can tell you what you tithe is, insist on exactly 10%, writes you letters about paying up, etc, should be signals to get up an walk away.

I agree. But then again I wouldn't be at the church in the first place. As an ex-catholic, I'm not used to the 10% tithe amount either. Like you said, they'd just hand the plate around and you'd toss a buck or so into the plate and that was that.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 07:53 AM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

That is disgraceful.

I am sorry that your family have been put through such nonsense in a place that should have been proof against it. Sanctuary is a forgotten concept in these times, and I ask myself constantly whether these are not times just as dark as those which have gone before, or even if the shadows grow longer, rather than shorter these days.

Things like the subject matter of the OP, and indeed the information you provided make me believe that the latter is truest of those statements.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 07:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: NthOther
What law is it breaking? Are you a tax attorney? Do you have any idea what this church's finances look like?

No. You don't.

That's why the IRS must be contacted, so they can audit them and find out.

I attacked? Who did I "attack"? I believe you were the one calling me names.

Calling you a Christian is calling you names? I'm not sure how I feel about that. I want to laugh at the irony, but then I'd have to admit to participating in a logical fallacy. I think I may just concede the fallacy so I can laugh at the irony.

ATS has gone completely sideways again. One of those days I suppose. I'll leave you guys to your hate-filled back patting session and call it a morning.

Whatever floats your boat.

link   
a reply to: Spider879
When I was in Christian "leadership", I knew of certain things that were common practice in a lot of churches. Like taking up a collection for a guest speaker, and only giving them half of it, because the other half went into the pastors pocket. Of course, the congregation thought all of it was going to the guest speaker.

But this is a new one on me. I can't think of any churches I knew of that did this. They would shame people from the pulpit, and insinuate they were going to hell for not tithing, but nothing this brazen. I would think they are far outside the tax exempt rules.

I personally believe every church should have to give account to their congregations for every penny that comes in to the coffers. But then, that would hinder the scam the leadership has been involved in for centuries. Wouldn't want that.
edit on 7/17/2015 by Klassified because: edit

link   

Amen!

If anyone wants to see the sickening amount of money in churches, check out the movie Religulous.

This church (and I'm certain there are a LOT more) is disgusting! I'd like to know how much the minister is spending on his suits... Doing some research shows that this is not the only church that's doing this... They should all be reported to the IRS. Many people say that churches that do NOT require tithing are "liberal". Get that!

I think Mormon churches require tithing.

The bible actually could be seen as threatening people for not tithing. It says that to refuse to tithe is to "rob God". Is that "requiring" it? Source

8 ¶Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings.

9 Ye are cursed with a curse: for ye have robbed me, even this whole nation.

10 Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the Lord of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Calling you a Christian is calling you names? I'm not sure how I feel about that. I want to laugh at the irony, but then I'd have to admit to participating in a logical fallacy. I think I may just concede the fallacy so I can laugh at the irony.

That wasn't it.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 07:58 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

For years we have seen how the big evangelical leaders has done miss appropriation of peoples donations and funding, some has served jail, their lavish lifestyles is prof that many of these big churches has become nothing but money hungry enterprises that preach for a good price, because God for them is a means to get money.

But you can still find a small local church that will preach for the love of God no money.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 07:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

One thing you can never trust worth a damn in this world.

A holy man with out dirt under his nails, and holes in his clothes.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join