It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida church sends $1,000 collection notice to single mother because she didn’t tithe

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 06:56 AM
link   
The inclusion of the word 'primitive' is both redundant and yet oddly appropriate.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Reminds me of this:

Fight breaks out because the pastor was asked what he does with the collection plate funds. Probably ''funds'' his Saturday night strip club adventures...
edit on 17-7-2015 by Kromlech because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 07:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Kromlech

Good grief.

Stop the planet. Pull over, I'm out. Here's a couple of coins for the next toll booth... I am going to find a nice quiet moonlet to inhabit.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 07:06 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Can I tag along?

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 07:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: KnightFire

originally posted by: AdmireTheDistance

originally posted by: NthOther
What's the IRS gonna do?

Revoke their tax-exempt status, for one...

Nothing for a variety of reasons in this case. For one, they will find some loop hole. Second is, the pastor and devoted members will start yelling racism and that they are being targeted, then Al Sharpen will get involved and all hell will break loose. Next the New Black Panthers will put bounties on the IRS agent's head because you know he/she will be white and then Obama in his un-greatness wisdom whom is a Muslim and not a Baptist will give some asinine speech about how the church is right in their ways and shouldn't be bothered. But of course, if it was a white pastor with a majority of white members, they would be paying a tons of fines, and never hit the news or the attention of the president. Nor will they riot in the streets and burn down their town.

The society we live in sucks and we all just have to deal with it.

??????

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 07:08 AM
link   
$1000, what's that about £600. That will supply my atheist principles 2 bottles of wine per week. Money much better spent.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 07:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Kromlech

And some folks including family members want me to explain why I am agnostic.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 07:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

That sounds like for-profit activity... Time to take away this church's 501(c)3 status.
edit on 17-7-2015 by Krazysh0t because: typo!

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 07:10 AM
link   
What if someone just wants to sit in for the Christmas sermon?
Usually clubs prorate, you can wait till December to join Mensa and save $46.66!

www.us.mensa.org...

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Well people wonder why organized religion is a dying institution, the greed of many of these institutions will just hasten their demise. The majority of Americans do not go to church and that is rapidly growing number. You would think religious institutions would be doing whatever they could to get butts in the seats instead of driving more people away.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 07:13 AM
link   
a reply to: NthOther

Unions fall under a different part of the 501(c) tax exempt status that allows them to do this. You really should read up on the different 501(c) organizations because your ignorance is showing.
edit on 17-7-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 07:15 AM
link   
a reply to: AdmireTheDistance

Grab a six pack of beers and a spare lighter, and we'll make a party of it!

If we take a slingshot with us, we can hurl the empty cans at the Earth, in the hopes of knocking some of its mor malodorous denizens on their arses!

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 07:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Unions fall under a different part of the 501(c) tax exempt status that allows them to do this. You really should read up on the different 501(c) organizations because your ignorance is showing.

You called it a 401 3c a minute ago.

Slick edit you had there.

+2 more 
posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Yea, and look at the edit tag, it said it was a typo. I don't know how the layout of YOUR keyboard looks, but the 4 and 5 keys are right next to each other on mine and sometimes I don't proofread.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 07:18 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Beers? Check.
Lighter? Check.
Smokes? Check.
Half full bottle of scotch? Check.

Alright, I'm packed and ready to go. Let's blow this Popsicle stand!

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Because the letter says "to be a member in good standing and have the right to vote"

The irs says they can't do that

No part of the net earnings of a section 501(c)(3) organization may inure to the benefit of any private shareholder or individual.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Yea, and look at the edit tag, it said it was a typo. I don't know how the layout of YOUR keyboard looks, but the 4 and 5 keys are right next to each other on mine and sometimes I don't proofread.

Anyway. You know what I'm saying. Substitute any other tax-exempt organization and you wouldn't care.

But since it's a religious one, let the positivist circle jerk ensue.

+6 more 
posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 07:24 AM
link   

I care about ANY organization violating the principles set forth that allows them to be tax exempt. If you could prove that a union is violating its 501(c)1 rules for tax exemption, I'd be pretty pissed about that too. Tax exemption is a privilege and if -I- have to pay taxes, then DAMMIT any organization that doesn't better DAMN well play by the rules to maintain that privilege.

I like how you adopt this Christian persecution complex when this church is CLEARLY in the wrong here. This is equivalent to the middle ages when you had to bribe the clergy for salvation.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 07:24 AM
link   
a reply to: AdmireTheDistance
... Kinda feel like we forgot something...

Oh yeah! Tunes!

In all seriousness though, we should never wonder why people despair of this place sometimes. This planet is totally rammed full of double standards and BS merchants.
edit on 17-7-2015 by TrueBrit because: Youtube tag broken, now fixed

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 07:30 AM
link   

I like how you adopt this Christian persecution complex when this church is CLEARLY in the wrong here. This is equivalent to the middle ages when you had to bribe the clergy for salvation.

A) I'm not a Christian.

B) In the middle ages, you couldn't just go to another church down the street if one pissed you off.

I'm not saying they're not jerks. I'm saying that the only reason you guys are so worked up about it is because it's a religion doing it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join