It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Republicans can’t stop comparing food stamp recipients to wild animals on Facebook

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 08:57 AM
link   
A purely anecdotal observation I made about someone using food stamps:

I was at a convenience store, which, as you know, is one of the more expensive places to buy anything. There was a woman in front of me buying a monster energy drink and candy bars with food stamps. All I could think at the time was that if this is what she is spending her food stamps on, it is no wonder she is on food stamps.

Instead of trying to make the most of your food income, you don't spend it at the most expensive place and you don't spend it on food stuffs that will give you nothing in the way of the basic nutrition you need to survive.

I understand that people sometimes need a helping hand to make it out of a bad situation. the problem I see more and more (and it is definitely NOT all people who get food stamps, and most likely not even close to a majority) is that people are making bad choices because there are fewer and fewer consequences for making these bad choices.

We as a society NEED to help those who have fallen on bad times. It is how we take care of each other that shows the worth of our community. But sometimes the best help we can give is to say "No". No, I am not going to continue enabling you to continue down this path of poor life choices by continuously bailing you out from your own failings.

The problem becomes, where do we draw that line? When do we say enough is enough? We, as Americans, value our freedom and individuality. We demand the freedom to make our own decisions, our own mistakes. When do we allow our government to start making those kind of life changes for our citizens? How far down the path of poor life choices do we let someone go before we, as a society, step in and start making those life choices for them? This is a very slippery slope.

We, as Americans, tend to see almost everything in black and white, right and wrong, left and right. The world we live in is rarely that simple. There can be individual items, people, situations that can be boiled down to something that simple, but more often, the world is a mosaic of infinite shades of gray. Navigating this sea of gray to ensure fairness and justice for all must be our goal, but I fear that it is not achievable. This does not mean we stop striving for that goal.

I think I've spouted off enough...I'll get off my soapbox now...

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 08:59 AM
link   
a reply to: FormOfTheLord

We need more Planned Parenthood clinics in areas of poverty. Many more.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 09:05 AM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

These poor women are damned if they have babies, and they are damned if they have abortions. God forbid they have sex at all. Poverty sucks.

We were on welfare when we first came to the US and had no source of income. With the amount of taxes I have paid since then , I have more than paid back our families assistance.

Having said that. I think the welfare system is a good thing for people that need assistance. Even most republicans would agree with that.

The problem is and having been on the system long ago, its apparent to me that the real intention and primary focus of the welfare system has changed and is no longer about helping people. Thats just a positive side effect.

The primary focus of the welfare system is now to make consumers that normally didn't have money to spend. That is why their is rampant abuse on the system.

Who suffers from the rampant abuse? The middle class tax payers or the mega Corporations that create the laws in this country via lobbying?

The problem that these Mega corporations have with the middle class is that they try to save money. When they are saving they are not spending. Then you have the poor that want to spend but don't have any money to spend.

So they kill two birds with one stone and take the money from the middle class via taxes and give to the poor to create a bigger pool of consumers.

That is why their is rampant abuse in the system and they will not fix it and apply common sense. They want more consumers and and less saving.

For able working people there should be time limits or milestones that must be met to continue to get welfare.
While on welfare you must also agree to drug screening and birth control measures. You don't like the terms then don't take the money, no body is forcing you to take it.

Yes I know the drug issue is not as rampant as they make it look on welfare, but its also not that rampant in the middle class either, yet most company requires them to take one. Its deterrent measure to make sure there focus is in the right direction.

Also if you can't afford a child you should not expect others to pay for you to have one.In addition, this has encouraged parents to look at children as a commodity, to get extra money while they feed them peanut butter and jelly and provide no supervision or a healthy environment.

However, they should be able to have all the Sex they want. As Beyonce says "Put a condom on it"

edit on 13731America/ChicagoFri, 17 Jul 2015 09:13:16 -0500000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 09:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv

We dont need to murder babies, baby murderers are the scum of the earth!
edit on 17-7-2015 by FormOfTheLord because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 09:11 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Essentially: when you give away free food, folks will stop finding their own food and opt for the free food.

This isn't the 1700's anymore it's not that easy for people to go out and hunt for their own food.

Which is evidenced by the headline about the biggest year of free handouts yet.

Which clearly shows how bad the economic situation in this country really is but the pea brained followers of the GOP are too dense to see it.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 09:14 AM
link   
a reply to: buster2010
they see it when they want to blast obama for political gain though....

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 09:15 AM
link   

What is needed is less foam mouthed fundamentalism.

Once the zealot mess has been cleared up, perhaps some proper efforts can be made toward ending poverty and preventing wealth concentration building up in specific areas. Those things in tandem will create a hell of a lot of peace between them.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 09:15 AM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

No doubt.

The problem in this countries economy is that it has become excessively top heavy. Im straining under the weight, too.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 09:17 AM
link   
a reply to: interupt42

Abortion numbers are highest among women in poverty. They choose to abort the children they can't afford, and they are damned for it. Condoms are the men's responsibility, and they don't always agree to use them, but they expect their women to oblige their sexual needs. Birth control pills aren't always easily accessible in poverty areas, and these women don't always know what options they have. We aren't talking about people who have done well in the past and just came across some temporary bad luck. We are talking about multiple generations of poor who don't really know how to get out of it.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 09:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: FormOfTheLord

And apparently poor people who have babies are scum of the earth too.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 09:24 AM
link   
a reply to: BomSquad

Some neighbourhoods do not have proper supermarkets muchless farmers markets, I posted this as an example of what can be done to help off set the problem of not eating healthy

Now is this guy Ron Finley model works it could help alleviate the problem of govt assistance and a road to independence ,but as is it is still illegal for him to plant on abandoned unused government land, even the space in front of your house that you can be find for not deicing after a snow storm.
In poor communities people eat crap because that's all there is food stamps or not.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 09:24 AM
link   
is there really a way out though, unless they've changed things there seems to be this giant chasm that well, if you make above a certain amount you start losing you help with child care and healthcare, rent, ect. but to be able to afford those things on your own, you have to make way more than you are! so well it's better to make less!

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Abortion numbers are highest among women in poverty. They choose to abort the children they can't afford, and they are damned for it.

Thats their choice. Nobody is forcing them to do it nor did I suggest that nor am I condemning them for it. Sounds to me that perhaps those are parents that care more about quality of life and have a concern for one reason or another to bring a child into this world. Had they been on birth control measures than that reduces the abortion numbers.

Condoms are the men's responsibility, and they don't always agree to use them, but they expect their women to oblige their sexual needs

I thought NO meant NO, Are these women being raped? Looks like male contraceptive pills are on the way.

Birth control pills aren't always easily accessible in poverty areas, and these women don't always know what options they have.

Make them take the pill or a shot when they pick up there pay check and have doctor checkups.

We aren't talking about people who have done well in the past and just came across some temporary bad luck. We are talking about multiple generations of poor who don't really know how to get out of it.

Agree, Its one of the biggest problems .

That is where education ,skills and goals come in. We shouldn't be blinding giving them money and expect them to get out of the poverty mindset.

edit on 37731America/ChicagoFri, 17 Jul 2015 09:37:19 -0500000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 09:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

I can understand that. It doesn't apply in the example I was giving since this individual had a regional public transportation pass as well, and there are numerous supermarket and fruit/vegetable stands in the local area.

I do remember living in a major metropolitan area and having to ride the bus for long periods of time to go grocery shopping, but I did it. I wasn't exactly rolling in the dough at the time so I made the time necessary to make my money stretch as far as possible. No luxuries, no candy bars, no frivolous items, only what I needed to survive. I ate adequately, kept clothes on my back and a roof over my head.

I am no longer in that kind of situation, thank goodness.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 09:38 AM
link   

I don't mean to be critical, well, maybe I do. In this sentence you state:
"Thats their choice. Nobody is forcing them to do it nor did I suggest that nor am I condemning them for it."

Then in this sentence, you state:
"Make them take the pill when they pick up there pay check and have doctor checkups."

You see, you think you have the right to dictate when it is "their choice" and the right to dictate when you "make them" make a choice. Baffles me.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 09:43 AM
link   
a reply to: MOMof3

You see, you think you have the right to dictate when it is "their choice" and the right to dictate when you "make them" make a choice. Baffles me.

I do when they are asking me* for money.

I give them the option to take the money but these are my terms. I'm not putting a gun to their head to take the money?

*Note: just to be clear when I say me I don't mean that as literal.

edit on 48731America/ChicagoFri, 17 Jul 2015 09:48:03 -0500000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Are the women being raped? Sometimes. Things can be rough in the hood. Domestic violence is much more common in areas of poverty, and women are less likely to press charges against their boyfriend/husband. Sometimes the women just fear their man will leave, so they give them what they want. It ain't Leave it to Beaver around there.

I agree with education. They need schools that are just as up-to-date as the rich neighborhoods', free access to universities and trade schools, so they can learn better skills. They need more community organizers (yes, that horrible thing that Obama did right after he got out of college). We can't just tell them to get off their behinds and become successful - it just doesn't work that way for most people. They need help.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Are the women being raped? Sometimes. Things can be rough in the hood. Domestic violence is much more common in areas of poverty, and women are less likely to press charges against their boyfriend/husband. Sometimes the women just fear their man will leave, so they give them what they want. It ain't Leave it to Beaver around there.

Agreed never said it was not, I saw it first hand.

However, The current wellfare system is so hosed up and is so worried about being PC and not applying common sense to help promote positivity that does nothing to address the issue.

In reality , there should also be a term on acceptance of welfare that domestic violence or any form of violence can impact the assistance.

I agree with education. They need schools that are just as up-to-date as the rich neighborhoods', free access to universities and trade schools, so they can learn better skills.

They need more community organizers (yes, that horrible thing that Obama did right after he got out of college). We can't just tell them to get off their behinds and become successful - it just doesn't work that way for most people. They need help.

Agree, but the current community organizers that I have seen are no less corrupt than our politicians and could care less than really helping. Instead of promoting a don't be a victim mentality they encourage it. That makes the individual give up and the will to tackle every obstacle that is thrown to them. And TRUST ME its ALL OBSTACLES on the way out.

They need to instil that the world is going to throw obstacles at them and a lot more than most people and its up to them whether they give up or overcome them.

The system today and the community organizers to some extant are not encouraging positive behaviour and responsibility to be successful in society.
edit on 32731America/ChicagoFri, 17 Jul 2015 10:32:41 -0500000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 10:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: FormOfTheLord

And apparently poor people who have babies are scum of the earth too.

There are scum amongst the gods as well as scum amongst men and women doesnt matter they are scum all the same.
edit on 17-7-2015 by FormOfTheLord because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 10:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

If you want to eat there are ways that dont involve charity, Work is a good way to start, failing that, hunting, fishing, or a garden. If your hungry go get food. I work to feed my children and myself, not lazy loafs of crap. There are times when I fall short on a pay check, you know what I do, go kill a wild pig and cook the damned thing, squirrels, rabbits, lots of food out there for people who remember we are in fact the apex freaking predator. Hunt, Fish, Farm or Die. Simple right?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join