It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Republicans can’t stop comparing food stamp recipients to wild animals on Facebook

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 12:32 PM
link   
I think I can give a good example how not to raise the minimum wage!!!

The NY governor wants to increase all the fast food workers to $15/hour....
but well, if you are someone working in the factory for $9 well, sorry, you won't be getting that increase, just the fast food workers. If you are a machinist with 10 or so years experience making $12/hr, sorry, you won't be getting it...
just the fast food workers...
This making sense to you yet?
Me either!!!
www.syracuse.com...-read_
but well, guess this is how you raise the minimum wage indirectly when the legislative body refused to just raise the minimum wage like you want.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 12:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
a reply to: Gryphon66

The problem with increasing minimum wage: it simply moves the hurdle point for "poverty" up the scale a bit, turning middle class into "below the poverty line".

It isn't like minimum wage has a trickle up effect. Give my folks a $5/hr raise right now...and it stops there.

Minimum wage is a means to the end of eliminating the middle class, and creating a serfdom.

"Poverty" is based on cost of living compared with income.

The establishment of and increases to the minimum wage have never served to eliminate the middle class. What's your data to back that up?

If you give your folks a $5 hr raise, what do they do with that money? In general.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 12:38 PM
link   

I don't get why poor liberals spend so much time on the Internet.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 12:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Milomo

I don't get why poor liberals spend so much time on the Internet.

Probably for similar reasons to poor conservatives, moderates, libertarians, and so forth ...

Why are you on the internet, for example?

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 12:53 PM
link   

For entertainment and I'm not a poor liberal. If I was Id go outside and make money rather complain. But that's why I'm not a poor liberal.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Here's standard costs of living for ATL: Cost of Living in Atlanta Texas National average cost of living: National In every one the most basic costs far outstrip your contrived examples. No, your estimate is not "thrifty" ... it's ludicrous and doesn't fit the data from any city anywhere in the US.

You realize you are taking the average and thinking minimum wage should purchase that, right? That's not how averages work, but you know that. You're just upset that I made a feasible budget and didn't use government handouts to make up for shortages. It completely cut off your "we're subsidizing their wage" argument you really wanted to go down.

Does more disposable income in the hands of 95% of the population result in higher demand ... or not? It's not a hard question.

IF minimum wage got more disposable income into the hands of 95% of the poulation (which it doesn't) then yes, it would result in higher demand. But since it doesn't do that, because it only affects a tiny percentage of the poulation, it can definitely cause harm.

what do you think the "minimum" should be? Let me guess, the lowest possible number that you can find people to work for?

There should be no minimum wage. The minimum wage is zero. It always is. Ask Hilary about her interns, ask the unemployed. What is the point of having a gap from 0 to $7.25 or $14.50 or $80. If I want to go wash dishes for $5/hr who are you to tell me I'm not allowed to do that?

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 05:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Dfairlite

Of course they're "averages" ... how else do you conceive you would compile that amount of data at the national, State and metropolitan levels? Those averages are at least based on mounds of actual DATA as opposed to the numbers you presented after pulling them out of your ... head ... calculated and based on nothing more than to prove your point.

So are you a economist or a fortune-teller? Keep responding to what you *think* I'm going to say, rather than what I actually say. Why aren't you on Wall Street making millions with these mad skillz?

On second thought, don't bother: you just told me all I need to know to understand your position:

You believe in slave wages.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 05:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Milomo

For entertainment and I'm not a poor liberal. If I was Id go outside and make money rather complain. But that's why I'm not a poor liberal.

... but, uh ... aren't you here complaining?

#confusedbutwillneverknow

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Of course they're "averages" ... how else do you conceive you would compile that amount of data at the national, State and metropolitan levels?

This excuse still doesn't make your comparison valid. The minimum should not buy the average. If it could, the average would rise higher.

Those averages are at least based on mounds of actual DATA as opposed to the numbers you presented after pulling them out of your ... head ... calculated and based on nothing more than to prove your point.

Keep repeating it, it still isn't a true accusation.

So are you a economist or a fortune-teller? Keep responding to what you *think* I'm going to say, rather than what I actually say. Why aren't you on Wall Street making millions with these mad skillz?

I make a good return each year on wall street, in addition to my full time job. On track for a record return this year. But don't let that get in your way of hurling accusations to feel better about yourself. Next time you'll pick a better accusation to hurl, I promise, it's highly improbably you'll blindly throw a dart and hit the board twice in a row.

On second thought, don't bother: you just told me all I need to know to understand your position

Any wage is better than 0. That's a true slave wage, which is what you seem to believe in.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 06:08 PM
link   

You're in favor of slavery.

Nothing else I need to know.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 06:11 PM
link   
"Do not let any calamity-howling executive with an income of $1,000 a day, ...tell you...that a wage of $11 a week is going to have a disastrous effect on all American industry." (Franklin Delano Roosevelt, in 1938, in response to business leaders wailing that a minimum wage of $0.25 per hour (that's a quarter) was going to put them out of business.)

Same principle; different century.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Let's get to the crux of this issue...

People are being dehumanised...

And of course many on ATS start back patting and cheering or laughing and snidely agreeing, some doing so only in a guised way so not to appear as if they are just in fact dehumanising people...

That's what is happening. Amarite?!?

Of course I am.

It's evident from the thread.

These are the same people who cry that All Lives Matter...
Not only willing to hijack a movement, but equally abhorrent, contradicting their hijacking by not even following through with the empathy they proclaim that they have...

The ultimate irony is that further up the chain to these fundamentalist politicians with not one iota of decency is the elite the people in this thread wish they were, but cannot even aspire to be... Let alone realistically attempt it...
& those you support in spirit with the cheering and back patting in turn think you're just useless animals as well.

Turn about is fair play it seems.

/rantpowerful deliverance

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 07:09 PM
link   
There's a serious case of Stockholm Syndrome for the elite in America. Yes, you too can become insanely rich and powerful just like them -- all you have to do is defend them tirelessly...

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 07:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

You're in favor of slavery.

Nothing else I need to know.

Yet another leftists that doesn't understand the meaning of words.

Paying a person to voluntarily work for you for a wage agreed on by both parties is the antithesis of slavery. You should look up what real slavery is sometime. You might find it refreshing to finally know what you're talking about.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 07:17 PM
link   

"Do not let any calamity-howling executive with an income of $1,000 a day, ...tell you...that a wage of $11 a week is going to have a disastrous effect on all American industry." (Franklin Delano Roosevelt, in 1938, in response to business leaders wailing that a minimum wage of $0.25 per hour (that's a quarter) was going to put them out of business.)

Same principle; different century.

LOL you're quoting a president who presided over the worst economy and worst recovery in US history. A great person to take advice from on economics.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 07:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

I think it's absolutely sickening and appalling that republicans want to criminalize and marginalize the poor.

They will continue to do these disgusting, humiliating things. I truly believe they would like to see all welfare beneficiaries dead. Yes, if they could find a way to kill them all, they would. I fear it is getting to this point.

It's awful and really scary. Give them an inch, and they will take 1000 miles.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 07:25 PM
link   

sometimes quip something like "well, let's just assume that all of your money went to buy more bombs to drop on foreign people and all of mine went to help the American needy."

I have (rather had when I paid taxes) the same thoughts...

"While they're paying for politicians (which should be a non profit position rather than employment) & weapons, I'm paying into benefits programmes and the National Health Service"...

It's a real sanity saver.

edit on 20-7-2015 by CharlieSpeirs because: I should know how to spell "paid" at my age.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 07:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
Let's get to the crux of this issue...

People are being dehumanised...

And of course many on ATS start back patting and cheering or laughing and snidely agreeing, some doing so only in a guised way so not to appear as if they are just in fact dehumanising people...

That's what is happening. Amarite?!?

Of course I am.

It's evident from the thread.

These are the same people who cry that All Lives Matter...
Not only willing to hijack a movement, but equally abhorrent, contradicting their hijacking by not even following through with the empathy they proclaim that they have...

You have the wrong idea.

The Bible tells you to give of your own stuff to the poor. Not for the government to create a dependency class.

Thessalonians 3:6-12:

Now we command you, brothers, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you keep away from any brother who is walking in idleness and not in accord with the tradition that you received from us. For you yourselves know how you ought to imitate us, because we were not idle when we were with you, nor did we eat anyone's bread without paying for it, but with toil and labor we worked night and day, that we might not be a burden to any of you. It was not because we do not have that right, but to give you in ourselves an example to imitate. For even when we were with you, we would give you this command: If anyone is not willing to work, let him not eat. ...

Maybe if you would stop and look before posting, maybe even check to see if what you are about to say is actually true, you might be able to make a little sense.

Harte

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 08:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Harte

I don't care what the Bible says and I'm not discussing the how to's and what if's of welfare...

I'm staying on topic, talking about people dehumanising humans!

What are you talking about?

I've read every word of this thread in the last hour and a half and there was a collective of people who agreed with the assessment that welfare recipients are merely wild animals...
And that's what I posted about!

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 01:35 AM
link   

Nope. I just think you mouth the standard Republican/right-wing mainstream media talking points on most any issue I've ever seen you post on, and sadly, even the Libertarian party has been co-opted by right-wing fascists for the most part.

I don't find too many moderates in the democratic side. I typically do not vote for either when there is no choice. Hillary will be the next President so I guess you can enjoy another round of crappy leadership, and I guess keep blaming her future failures on Bush still.

BTW how is that whole transparent Government thing working for you? It was one of Barry's big promise and it seems he has made FOIA total dead as he has become one of the most secret Presidents of modern history, but I'll bet you will even say that has been great under him too.

Well it seems you believe in every democrat no matter how big of a failure they are, at least I do not go that far and call the bad ones Dem or Rep for what they are. I hope you are happy with the outcomes in the future...

new topics

top topics

<< 15  16  17    19 >>

join