It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australia Declares War !

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 03:45 AM
link   
on kitties..........

www.washingtonpost.com...

The Australian government announced plans to cull up to 2 million feral cats by 2020 in a bid to preserve dozens of native species that authorities claim face extinction because of the cats' predatory behavior.

edit on 7/17/2015 by semperfortis because: Corrected all CAPS

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 03:48 AM
link   
What a title!! I was totally sucked in by this Aussie war declaring suggestion... Then I saw the cat meme. Aw, man!

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 03:54 AM
link   
about bloody time!

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 04:00 AM
link   
The cat sat on the mat.
Now it's a hat.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 04:02 AM
link   
That was a pretty stupid comment. My tooth hurts and I'm in a bad mood sorry .

edit on 17-7-2015 by Greathouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 04:07 AM
link   
a reply to: maddy21

Time to mobilize the war Kangaroos. Should that not be enough Canada can deploy some of their war moose.

originally posted by: PLAYERONE01
about bloody time!

Pun intended?
edit on 17-7-2015 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 04:08 AM
link   
Where is the conspiracy?

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 04:11 AM
link   
How much of the overall wildlife preservation plan, for example, will include future prevention of this happening again from public education to spay and neuter. Albeit some of them have been feral stock since they arrived in the country, am more referring to the ones who used to be pets that are influencing the feral colonies to strays.

At least this,

"By 2020, I want to see 2 million feral cats culled, five new islands and 10 new mainland 'safe havens' free of feral cats, and control measures applied across 10 million hectares," Hunt said.
-OP Source

If it goes through really hope for humane "culling" but that may be extremely large number to ask for that.

As Another source mentions,

Measures using poisons and trapping "can often be inefficient on a large scale, so what we should be probably doing instead rather is working with nature," Dr Euan Ritchie of Deakin University said.

Source

History of the feral cats in the country.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 04:12 AM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake

After reading your post I had a thought...

Aren't humans destroying more and more wildlife than what non native animal species are?

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 04:13 AM
link   
I shot some feral cats for a friend's dad that were harming his property when I was 18, and didn't feel good about it for many years after. Not something I would do again. That was 35 years ago. The memory of it seems to come and visit me from time to time still.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 04:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra

Aren't humans destroying more and more wildlife than what non native animal species are?

Humans brought most all of the invasive wildlife to Australia if not mistaken.

For cats the video I shared in the above comment says they,

Cats probably arrived in Australia as pets of European settlers and were later deliberately introduced in an attempt to control rabbits and rodents.

Reminds me of an article that just came out as well but pertaining to the US;

A new study analyzed fossilized owl vomit dating as far back as 13,000 years in Utah. Scientists analyze owl vomit to measure impact of humans on the ecosystem over time.

This sound unusual and gross, but actually makes a lot of sense. In Owl pellets are the rest of mice that owls eat. Researchers can go through the pile of owl vomit that accumulated in a cave how the environment changed over time. A collection of fossilized owl pellets in Utah suggests that when the Earth went through a period of rapid warming about 13,000 years ago, the small mammal community was stable and resilient, even as individual species changed along with the habitat and landscape.

Cont...

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 04:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: snowen20
Where is the conspiracy?

It's a cats vs the world thing... TPTB have this fantasy of exterminating all house cats, it's mass genocide at it's finest. I don't believe this crazy theory personally. In fact, I am just stretching for some kind of "conspiracy"...

edit on 17-7-2015 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 04:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: snowen20
Where is the conspiracy?

The Other Current Events forum doesn't call for conspiracy leaning stories?

I'm interested to see if any conspiratorial updates envelope-such as supported by __insert organization__ etc, and that they are less of a threat than thought(but doesn't seem likely so far).

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 04:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: maddy21
on kitties..........

They're not 'kitties'. They are an invasive species of feral cats which have the potential to drastically impact the natural ecosystem.

These 'wars' are needed to ensure the survival of the natural order of the Australian ecosystem and its native species.
edit on 17-7-2015 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 09:18 AM
link   

a reply to: maddy21

Time to mobilize the war Kangaroos. Should that not be enough Canada can deploy some of their war moose.

originally posted by: PLAYERONE01
about bloody time!

Pun intended?

Our war moose get along well with our feral cats. The cats keep the mouse and grasshopper population down.
Somehow I don't think Australia wants our war coyotes - they're what keeps our feral cat population down...

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Seeing as Autrallia lost the Great Emu War I have my doubts Australia will succeed against the numerically superior and smarter cats without allied help, I predict surrender of Australia to the cats within the year

edit on 17-7-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 09:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

War kangaroos?

We cull them too..

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Yes we are the biggest problem!

I count 6 or so new dead wombats, at least 12 new dead kangaroos / Wallabies, including several dead parrots, the odd emu as well as a dead Koala on Thursday this week, not to mention the other animals, all dead on the same 50km stretch of country road each week, year in year out.

There wasn't as much death, until the miners and contractors came with their big open cut mine. to displace nature and wreck an old Aussie community. Trust me its not only the cats killing the Aussie wild life. Blame the cat while the cane toad wreaks havoc on our native animals, up the other end of Australia and they, want to target cats, how funny.

A good start would be to make desexing cheap. It costs about $200 to have a cat neutered, why don't they make that free prevention is better, rather than running around and killing more #.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 10:28 AM
link   
When the Egyptian sky Gods return, they're not going to like this at all in particular Bast.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 10:32 AM
link   
a reply to: awareness10

Do these Egyptian sky gods like the decimation of native species?

Feral cats have single handedly wiped out dozens of native animals in Australia.

I love cats, but I've also destroyed many feral ones.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join