It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

From sea to air fighter jet?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 01:42 PM
link   

OK. I have spent the last 20 minutes trying to figure out how to take a still shot on WMP.

Play it
Pause it
Hit your Print Screen Key (may need to shift for it on some keyboards)
Go to Paint
Edit
Paste

Then use the select tool to select (draw a box around) just the part of the image you want (looks like a dotted box)

Save as a new image.

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp
Could you U2U me it please, i would be very interested in seeing it.

Cant put it in a U2U, but if you send me your e-mail in a u2u, I would be happy to send it to you.

Gaz, Im on it now. Will be back soon W/ some pics

[edit on 12/28/04 by Kidfinger]

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 02:11 PM
link   
I saw this a few weeks back and it is laughably fake. I'm not doubting it could be done, however.

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 02:14 PM
link   

This is the Sea Dart (previously mentioned).

Haven't seen the video, but this is a plane that was made to do somewhat what was mentioned. It was underpowered though, and always sub-sonic (the Navy wanted a supersonic one), so it never went anywhere....

I can tell you that my pop works on the Raptor, so if we've got a jet that can take off from under the sea, well, it's more advanced than that, hehe....!!!

[edit on 28-12-2004 by Gazrok]

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 02:59 PM
link   
I am afraid I will not be able to post any pics from the video. However, I wiil send the clip to anyone who wants it. I just need an E-mail.

Sorry about not posting the pics as promised. Gazrok has been quite helful in guiding me in the right direction for posting them, but the problem is on the users... I mean my laptops end

RAB

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Why?

No really what the hell is the point?

there isn't one

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by RAB
Why?

No really what the hell is the point?

there isn't one

What? Have you been on some meds or something

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Ok, its obviously a fake.

its based on a tridant or Polaris submarine launched missile test, I have seen the origional movie on the Discovery Channel several times. Its fairly well faked, but its still obviously a fake.

Check this image out and see how similiar it is:

This site has videos of submarine launches that look suspiciously similiar.

www.heiszwolf.com...

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by RichardPrice

its based on a tridant or Polaris submarine launched missile test, I have seen the origional movie on the Discovery Channel several times. Its fairly well faked, but its still obviously a fake.

If its faked, it is cleverly done, as you say. The afterburners affecting the surface of the water is what gets me every time I have come to the conclusion that it is faked. I just cant shake the sense of amazement when I see that part of the clip. If its a fake, I sur would like to know who did it. They should be offered a job at Skywalker Ranch

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Oh, and if anyones interested, you can find a still from the movie below, and the movie itself here

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Thank you for linking that. My ill sense of software has inhibited me from doing so.

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kidfinger

If its faked, it is cleverly done, as you say. The afterburners affecting the surface of the water is what gets me every time I have come to the conclusion that it is faked. I just cant shake the sense of amazement when I see that part of the clip. If its a fake, I sur would like to know who did it. They should be offered a job at Skywalker Ranch

What afterburner effect? Everything produced there is produced by the missiles main engine firing, I cant see anything 'special' about it, or even anything that looks like an affect of the 'afterburners'. Basically they pasted a 3d prerendered model (its obviously not a proper shot of an aircraft) of the correct size over the missile, and stepped through frame by frame to delete any remnants of the missile from the background. The bonus method here is to degrade the quality of the film so you cant see the out of place pixels.

Not too hard to do, Ive faked a few vids in my day
They did screw up slightly when the aircraft pops out of the water, it 'hiccups' in a way that looks totally unreal. You can actually see the water alternate from infront of and behind the tail section of the plane, it appears to travel through the aircraft.

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Thanks richard, now I've seen it myself I can agree that it is well done. There's no need to be amazed at how the afterburner effect was faked though guys, it wasn't. Only the actual F-15 itself has been added, the rest of the clip is pure SLBM launch with, as I said, the missile replaced by the plane.

Hey Richard, snap!

[edit on 28-12-2004 by waynos]

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Im importing it into iMovie at the moment, and will post anything I find

Ok, theres a lot of pixelisation around the nose of the aircraft throughout the clip, the missile was longer than the model they replaced it with. The actual editing looks to have been done on WindowsXP, possibly

Oh well, that was a slow 5 minutes filled.

Waynos, does it seem like we think along the same lines too much these days?

[edit on 28/12/2004 by RichardPrice]

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 04:33 PM
link   

What afterburner effect?

As the jet rises out of the water, water is cascading down the jet. The jet reaches a hight above the water and while doing so, the water is still maintained in a cylindrical form beneath the airplane. The jet then kicks in the afterburnesrs, and the water explodes.

I have witnessed the launch of a missle from a sub. The water didnt react like that. When the missle breaks the water surface, there is a lot of disturbance all around the missle. Plus, the missle doesnt sit there for a moment untill momentum is gaind from thrust. The missle streaks off as soon as the water surface is broken. The missle I witnessed was the harpoon.

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 04:40 PM
link   

What afterburner effect?

As the jet rises out of the water, water is cascading down the jet. The jet reaches a hight above the water and while doing so, the water is still maintained in a cylindrical form beneath the airplane. The jet then kicks in the afterburnesrs, and the water explodes.

I have witnessed the launch of a missle from a sub. The water didnt react like that. When the missle breaks the water surface, there is a lot of disturbance all around the missle. Plus, the missle doesnt sit there for a moment untill momentum is gaind from thrust. The missle streaks off as soon as the water surface is broken. The missle I witnessed was the harpoon.

The harpoon is a small missile, this is taken from a trident or polaris launch, somewhat bigger
Go to one of the links I posted before, they have actual polaris/trident launches which have all the effects shown in the film.

In a ICBM launch, the missile is ejected to a height of 10feet by NO2 propellant from within the submarine launch tube. It then ignites the main engine, and it does indeed cause it to hang for a moment while the engine creates enough thrust to move it against gravity.

A Harpoon missile is around 1,400lb or 600kg in weight. A trident is 73,000lb or 33,000kg. Slight difference, and that is what causes the effects you see.

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 04:46 PM
link   

A Harpoon missile is around 1,400lb or 600kg in weight. A trident is 73,000lb or 33,000kg. Slight difference, and that is what causes the effects you see.

I went to the link. I stand corrected. Oh well, guess Ill have to accept the fact that this is a fake
NO ITS REAL DAMNIT!

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 04:48 PM
link   

I have witnessed the launch of a missle from a sub. The water didnt react like that. ......Plus, the missle doesnt sit there for a moment untill momentum is gaind from thrust. The missle streaks off as soon as the water surface is broken. The missle I witnessed was the harpoon.

I have seen many videos and TV programmes about (for example) the replacement of the Vulcan bomber by the Polaris SLBM as the UK's nuclear deterrent and such shows always include footage of launches for 'dramatic effect'. I can assure you thaty in every single one I have seen that is exactly how the SLBM reacts during launch with the rocket firing after the whole of the missile has cleared the surface. The dodgy bit is the way the plane 'falters' during this stage and that is just down to the animator. Any water thrown outwards and upwards by the launch is simply erased by replacing it with sky colour as it wouldn't match the outline of the plane and would be too hard to fake convincingly.

But I see I was too late.

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by waynos

But I see I was too late.

Better late than never

Dont worry, I was a little late on acceptance

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Far out, it's 'Skydiver' from the old British TV UFO series!

(by the God of that kind of thing Gerry Anderson).

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join