It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

From sea to air fighter jet?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 09:13 PM
link   
I have been sent a clip from a good friend that shows a fighter jet, possibly an F 15, emerging from the sea and taking off into the wild blue yonder. I dont have this hosted, as I am banned from sitesled.com (oops
) Anyone ever heard of such an aircraft project? If you are intrested in seing the clip, send me a u2u and I can E-mail it to you.

It reminds me of the old seaquest show that had the submersible craft that was capable of flight. If anyone has any info on this, I would greatly appreciate the input.

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Im not doubting you Kidfinger but its not a clip from a movie or something is it? I like to see that clip as i have never heard of a fighter that could launch from under water, can anyone host it?

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Send me your E-mail in a u2u and I will send it to you in an attachment. If its from a movie, its from one I have never saw before. After watching it a few times, Im miffed. It could be a chop shop clip, but if it is, its done very well.

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Janus and Blackstar,

I have sent you both a copy. I forgot to tell you you will need winrar to unpack and open the file.

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 09:47 PM
link   
It looks like it could be a fighter that has been somehow pasted over the launch of a Sub launched missile. Its well done though. Thanks for sending it, its an interesting find. Not being an expert ill let someone else Analise it. Very nice find mate

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Janus
Very nice find mate

I would love to take the credit for digging this up, but it actually came from Misfit.
He sent me an E-mail this morning asking if I had ever heard of such a thing. I hadnt, so he sent me the clip.

I thought the same thing about the paste job, but after slowing it down frame by frame, you can see the thrusters reacting with the water. I dont know.

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 02:53 AM
link   
Perhaps they kept the footage of the original thruster? Then pasted the footage over the Missile minus the fighters thruster? Ive looked at it a few times now and i think its a fake but like i said its a good one. I still think its pretty cool though.

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 03:10 AM
link   
The US Navy had such a fighter project in the mid fifties, but nothing came of it. I cannot remember the name, but it was a delta winged craft.

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 03:13 AM
link   
OK, I found it. It was called the CONVAIR SEA DART.

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 03:24 AM
link   
It looks like it was designed to be launched from the surface of the sea and then land back on it, hence the skids. The footage shows what looks like a USAF or US-Navy fighter being launched from bellow the Sea. The fighter in the picture wasn't designed to do that was it?

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 04:04 AM
link   
The SEA DART was designed to take off from the water surface. If it goes under the water....well then something has gone wrong.

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 04:05 AM
link   
Impossible for current technology to allow this. The F-15 uses air breathing engines. Underwater propellers would have no where near the power to force the 50k lbs+ fighter out of the water. I thin I have also seen the footage before, it�s fake... When plasma and other forms of engines come into reality we probably will be sing things as such. There probably is no use for such a feature though.

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChrisRT
Impossible for current technology to allow this. The F-15 uses air breathing engines.

I agree. Im not an expert on military aircraft, but I was kind of thinking along the same lines. One thing about this though. I know I mentioned this in a previous post above, but the thrusters interact with the water. It would seem to me that if it were a paste job, the interaction would be that of a sub launched missle. I spent 4 years in the Navy, and MUCH time at sea. I was in the first gulf war, and I happened to witness quite a few missles being launched via in-ship close circuit TV. Not once did I see a missle react this way with the water. This is the nagging question that keeps poping up in my head every time I start to think its a fake. Where is Intelgurl when you need her?

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 09:51 AM
link   
I haven't seen the video, but wouldn't it be possible to use somethign along the lines of the way current submarine launched ballistic missiles? Using buoyancy, the force of the upthrust propelling it far enough from the water to be able to ignite it's engines, though I find it difficult to believe a turbine could take hold this quickly, especially as the intakes etc would have to be guarded whilst underwater (soaking a turbine engine is never a good idea). Maybe some sort of rocket motor to get it going into the air until the turbine can take over? Surely a rocket motor could work underwater, seeing as it contains all the fuel/oxygen it needs. Interesting concept. The ultimate way to attack a country.... nevermind stealth hide the aircraft underwater until you reach the right country! (just mind those enemy sonar...)

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 09:53 AM
link   
I think i have seen the clip your talking about, we had a thread about it several weeks/months ago lol.
It was concluded that it was a missile launch but an aircraft put on top.
As chrisRT said it is physically impossible for anyaircraft at the moment to do it, well there is that nuclear jet engine idea the US was working on....

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 10:19 AM
link   
I don't think that the tech is beyond todays tech because if you design an aircraft for STOL and then isolate the intakes on Launch then use some rocket motors to help propel the aircraft beyond the waters edge then it would be possible to have aircraft launched out from submarines and then carry on a mission. Presntly Lockheed is saod to be working on a UCAV that can do something like that. I couldn't find a link but I got this close: www.aerospaceweb.org...

IAF...

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Yeah its not impossible to make , its just that there is no aircraft at the moment that is doing this.

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 10:52 AM
link   
I suppose that theoretically its just a progression from a Submarine Launched Cruise Missile. But I don't think its been done yet.

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 01:24 PM
link   
OK. I have spent the last 20 minutes trying to figure out how to take a still shot on WMP. If someone could offer some guidence, I will be happy to get some pics posted here on the thread so we can all see just what is happenning.

Someone above mentioned it might be possible to do this by using the natural buoyancy of the aircraft to propell it above the surface, then ignite the afterburners to take care of lift off from the waters surface. This describes exactly what the clip shows. The aircraft emerges from the sruface of the water, then the afterburners kick in and the surface of the water below is blasted with the thrust, causing a massive plume of water to rise about 40 to 50 feet. Its like a bomb goes off below the jet as it ignites the afterburners.

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Could you U2U me it please, i would be very interested in seeing it.

new topics

<<   2  3 >>

join