It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Healing The Planet - Our Ethical Duty

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 08:47 PM
link   
What if dying crops could be regrown?

What if inhospitable deserts could be used for solar energy or any other non-polluting source of energy?

What if we could heal all the damages we've inflicted to our only home since millennia?

Do we have the ethical right to ban technology, and leave the Earth fighting alone our damage?

Shouldn't we rather take our responsibility, and repair our damage to the only planet we've got? Not for us, but for our future generation?

Or do we cowardly shrug off our mistakes, and let the future generation deal with it, when any healing possibility is gone?

We destroyed the planet; thus we need to repair the damage, not hope the Earth will miraculously do it instead of us.

And I'm sorry to say, but only through possible future technological advancement such as these can we save Earth:

Vertical Housing

Vertical Farming

Super Soil That Can Fertilize Any Inhospitable Soil

Possible Powerful Water Purification System

Possible Chemical Particles That Could Annihilate Atmospheric Pollutants

Technology has its flaws, especially when fundings goes completely to military application.

But does no one dare to think about how technology could radically heal millennia of human damages in considerable less amount of time than without it?

Water could be purified, the Amazon forest, Earth's lungs, could be regrown, vertical farming and housing wouldn't require deforestation compared to horizontal farms and houses, super-soil could fertilize soils rendered sterile by human actions, atmospheric pollution could be annihilated, or even possibly transformed, through chemical reactions, into benign nutrients. All those accomplishments by... technology, my dear Watson.

How help will we be if all goes back living like in the Stone Age? Pollutants will still float in our air, the Amazon will remain deforested, water will remain polluted, humans will spread further upon the surface, and take all the little remaining space.

Is that the fate we want to leave to our future generations?

Or do we right now set aside our fear of technology and the unknown, take our ethical responsibility into our own hands, and heal the planet, whatever means, whatever sacrifice it requires?

I dare, and I hope others will too.

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 09:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Yavanna

Or do we right now set aside our fear of technology and the unknown, take our ethical responsibility into our own hands, and heal the planet, whatever means, whatever sacrifice it requires?

I dare, and I hope others will too.

I do.
Thanks for the thread. Needs to be said over and over again - we have to do what we can to heal the damage we've inflicted.

S/F

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 09:16 PM
link   

"I'd like to build the world a home and furnish it with love..." * singing *

Are you willing to give up every petroleum product including the very device you used to make this thread? No cell phones, no televisions, Xboxes, heck...even playing cards are coated.

While I agree with your intent, have you ever stopped to think the Earth is evolving precisely as it should? Interfering could changed its destiny for the worst?

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 09:41 PM
link   
You had me, up until this:

originally posted by: Yavanna
We destroyed the planet;

We haven't "destroyed the planet" (or even come close). There's no need to sensationalize everything.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 02:47 AM
link   
If there ever was a reason for mankinds existance and a proper use for the fast evolving inteligence of our species then this is it, i believe that the earth is a living organism and after countless extinctions of life it has created a fast evolving, highly inteligent and physicaly dextrous being to help it to preserve and protect itself and the life it has created, currently we humans are selfishly serving our own agenda which is opposite to the reasons we were created for, if we carry on our current path we will not reach the stage in our evolutionary advancement that is required to fullfill our purpose and be the planets guardians, but there is still plenty of time to change our ways and maybe we were meant to make the mistakes we have as part of the learning curve in our own particular interlectual evolution, in any case the time has come to for us to make the next evolutionary step towards becoming a more ecologicaly considerate species and fullfil our destiny, we are at the stage of realising our effect on the earth and we are now technologicaly advanced enough to create a more sustainable future for life on the earth and respond to natural disasters to ensure the best presurvation of life and the planets ecological wellbeing, we were always meant to be the protectors of earth not the destroyers of it

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 02:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ultralight

"I'd like to build the world a home and furnish it with love..." * singing *

I do find this attitude toward life to be a much healthier one than despair, hopelessness, bitterness, and giving up when faced with an obstacle.

Nothing will be gained by giving up and approaching life pessimistically. I've been down that road before, and I found a better one: hoping, even if its a fool's hope. At the end of the day, even if it accomplished nothing, I at least spent my life happily and not all grumpy and bitter toward everyone and everything.

Are you willing to give up every petroleum product including the very device you used to make this thread? No cell phones, no televisions, Xboxes, heck...even playing cards are coated.

True, right now we still rely on petroleum for about everything. That is a major problem, one that I hope will be solve by discovering new compounds, ones that doesn't require petroleum or mineral, but a mere mixture of particles.

That is one of the many problems we must solve. But there are others that can be solved not only by scientists, but by ourselves, like vertical farming and housing.

While I agree with your intent, have you ever stopped to think the Earth is evolving precisely as it should? Interfering could changed its destiny for the worst?

I do not think deforestation of the Amazon was necessary to human or the planet’s ”evolution". I do not think taking 60% of Earth's entire surface was necessary when vertical farming and housing will reduce that number to a mere 10-15%.

And I certainly do not think that destroying our planet and keep it that way was necessary for our and its ”evolution".

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 02:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: AdmireTheDistance

We haven't "destroyed the planet" (or even come close). There's no need to sensationalize everything.

Seriously? Because the fact we mined the Earth's surface, rendering the soil infertile, drilled holes for petroleum, and released 705 millions gallons of oil into the ocean each year (Source: www.waterencyclopedia.com...), deforested (and still doing so) the Amazon and the entire world forests:

Source: rainforests.mongabay.com...

polluted the atmosphere with all those wastes, polluted our water, not only our pure drinkable water, but also the oceans and seas:

In America, 40% of the rivers and 46% of the lakes are polluted and are considered unhealthy for swimming, fishing or aquatic life.

Source: www.conserve-energy-future.com...

... that is all part of a natural process, that is all non-destructive, right?
edit on 17-7-2015 by Yavanna because: Adding links

edit on 17-7-2015 by Yavanna because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: spaceeyes

That is a very thought-provoking thought you just proposed!

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 02:35 PM
link   
the ONLY way to help this planet is to make it more profitable to "recover" than it is to "pillage"
we DO live on money planet after all.

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 08:24 PM
link   
a reply to: autopat51

That would seem to be a good plan. The question is how can we make "recover" more profitable than "pillage"? Especially since to replace all the petroleum and mining, and logging, etc, we need to move into particles and chemicals such as nanocarbon, etc, and that cost more than simple digging and drilling.

top topics

join