It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Uh-oh, A Robot Just Passed The Self-Awareness Test.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 11:49 PM
link   
a reply to: charlyv

What if it's an anomaly that manifest intelligence?

Like the girl in Tron....

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 11:51 PM
link   
a reply to: theyknowwhoyouare

A few more generations of quantum computing coupled with self replicating programing/programmable AI, things are going to get very different very fast.

Here is just a sliver of things on the horizon. Very exciting and very scary.
www.damninteresting.com...

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 12:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: In4ormant
a reply to: Wolfenz

I just don't wanna get off the couch for a beer sometimes, I don't care who made the beer

LOL .. all fun ! just saying ...

I dont want a sentient machine either ...

just a Slave on Command Machine !

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Maybe it's just explained poorly in the article but I don't see anything particularly impressive about this. So they essentially trained it to recognize when it speaks? How was it programmed to speak and listen exactly? I don't need to hear anything to know I'm speaking because I can feel my lips moving and also because I'm making my lips move by willing it to happen. The entire test seems a bit flawed imo.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 01:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: BestinShow
a reply to: Kapusta

i think the true dilemma is we use our own intelligence as a standard...

We're dumb as Sh!t, so, nothing to worry about here.

Humans are general problem solvers, meaning we can solve almost any problem if given enough time. There is no general problem solving algorithm which can solve the wide range of problems that an average human can solve. Every A.I. in existence has a specific range of problems that it can solve. Humans can solve problems we've never even seen before, something we've never been trained or programmed to solve. An object detection algorithm cannot automatically learn how to write code in C++. How will it even know what you're asking it to do if it doesn't understand human language first? Humans can not only learn C++ or any other programming language, we can create algorithms which also learn on their own. Some day we may create a self-learning algorithm so powerful it will learn how to program and build its own self-learning algorithm, and that's what will spark the singularity.
edit on 17/7/2015 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 03:21 AM
link   
I truly think what will eventually happen is that machines will get gradually "smarter" as the human populace gets gradually dumber....eventually, we humans will be stupid enough to believe that these over rated calculators are actually smarter than us.

Irony.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 05:09 AM
link   
So do we know if they were programmed to become self aware? From what i gather, they were programmed to respond to the question of which robot can talk. Where it gets tricky is where they try to respond and only one is successful in both, responding and noticing that it is the only one which could talk. It would be interesting to see if the latter part of noticing one's response was programmed.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 06:40 AM
link   

I just want one that will grab me a beer when I ask, I think we are jumping ahead on the priorities list.

Well, this is the kind that will tell you "Whats in it for me?"
Or
" NO, I don't want to"..
Or
"ask me one more time and see what happens meatbag!"

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 06:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: ChaoticOrder

originally posted by: BestinShow
a reply to: Kapusta

i think the true dilemma is we use our own intelligence as a standard...

We're dumb as Sh!t, so, nothing to worry about here.

Humans are general problem solvers, meaning we can solve almost any problem if given enough time. There is no general problem solving algorithm which can solve the wide range of problems that an average human can solve. Every A.I. in existence has a specific range of problems that it can solve. Humans can solve problems we've never even seen before, something we've never been trained or programmed to solve. An object detection algorithm cannot automatically learn how to write code in C++. How will it even know what you're asking it to do if it doesn't understand human language first? Humans can not only learn C++ or any other programming language, we can create algorithms which also learn on their own. Some day we may create a self-learning algorithm so powerful it will learn how to program and build its own self-learning algorithm, and that's what will spark the singularity.

Well, the AI will work the same way, face a problem and desired outcome - search for solutions within memory drive, expand knowledge, then try and fail with combos. Some combos will give new results unknown to man, and the expanding results will be exponential. It will learn faster than anyone. Give it the alphabet, numbers and math - problem: create everything and show the links between all results. The more common factors, the more important it is.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 07:02 AM
link   
a reply to: br0ker

Well, this is the kind that will tell you "Whats in it for me?"
Or
" NO, I don't want to"..
Or
"ask me one more time and see what happens meatbag!"

So the way to determine self-awareness is through selfishness? Why not through selflessness?

I'm not criticizing you or anything. I just think it's interesting the way people are taught to view robots, freedom, and selfishness.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 07:02 AM
link   

edit on 17-7-2015 by arpgme because: double post

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 07:16 AM
link   
I think that first we should understand WHAT is awereness.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 07:18 AM
link   

I will believe in a self aware, conscious machine when I ask it to turn itself off/go dark and it refuses, while not being programmed to do so. I wanna see self preservation by its own volition.

They can keep the parlor tricks until then.

So are you saying no human when asked to kill themselves by another human would do so......hmm I think there's a flaw in your test.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 07:38 AM
link   
And how would these robots know what a "hat" is?.....

Programmed I recon.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 07:39 AM
link   
All of this discussion comes down to one simple question :

What is self awareness ?

This question is open to enormous debate and has been for centuries. For me there are two things to consider :

1.programming.

So what!. All life is programmed. Our DNA (2% of our genome) is a blueprint on our physical make-up. The remaining 98% or "junk" DNA was thought redundant. Now it has been shown to alter according to life experiences and is inherited. Your ancestors lifestyle affects your physical well being ! Yes your smoking, drinking, excercise etc can affect the children you have not yet conceived!

2. Life experiences

Every decision we make is based on our life experiences. These are massive. Imagine everything you have ever done, everything you have seen, tasted, used, interacted with etc etc all feeding into a decision. Is it any wonder some actions are deemed "self aware" or "inventive" or "eureka" moments when the path to them is so complex.

What happens when a machine has the same level of experiences to draw upon as a human. Since every humans experiences are unique, even when genetically identical twins, the decision making process is different and thus the outcome different and thus apparently "self aware".

We are not self aware we are only aware of our life experiences and behave accordingly directed by the pre-programmed base behaviours and biases from our DNA. Its the volume of information in our brains that fools us into believeing we are self aware.

A machine can clearly behave the same way if it's neural network is large enough.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 07:40 AM
link   
So when do I get my Japanese love bot?

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 07:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wolfenz

a reply to: Wolfenz

I just don't wanna get off the couch for a beer sometimes, I don't care who made the beer

LOL .. all fun ! just saying ...

I dont want a sentient machine either ...

just a Slave on Command Machine !

You should watch the movie VICE with bruce willis. Not a great movie but goes along those lines and its watchable.
www.imdb.com...

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 08:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aleister
If a robot is doing something then that something has to be programmed into it. It is not self aware.

Do you remember before you were born, or when you were an infant, or toddler?

Seem like we all need to be programmed for awareness, some of us just take longer.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 08:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinfoilTP
The self aware without a conscience.
By definition that is a psychopath.

I thought you said politician for a minute, my bad.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 10:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aleister
If a robot is doing something then that something has to be programmed into it. It is not self aware.

Ah, but now begs another interesting question. Are we?

Don't worry, the question bugged me too

edit on th2015000000Fridayth000000Fri, 17 Jul 2015 10:05:44 -0500fAmerica/ChicagoFri, 17 Jul 2015 10:05:44 -0500 by SoulSurfer because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join