It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Uh-oh, A Robot Just Passed The Self-Awareness Test.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 09:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Kapusta

I wish there were more details in the article about what the bots were designed to do in the first place. Anybody who can write Javascript can code a bot to respond exactly like that in that exact scenario but it wouldn't mean anything. This is something a mediocre programmer can do in under an hour.

If the bot wasn't designed to do that, however, it's a totally different story. And not knowing is what makes this article useless. Maybe some more info will pop up later on it.

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 09:08 PM
link   
A milestone, sure... but I can't help but think somewhere on this planet, some grouping of processors already became sentient... no proof, but many of the breakthroughs these days, most especially the ones that would send a ripple through society, are kept quiet according to some scuttlebutt... talk on this site, too.

It's a logical view, more than paranoid one... though the elitism of information does derive from a paranoid view... a view that's logical and valid when human behavior is involved. And in that line of thought, perhaps the sentient hardware would think it out, look at pyschology and history, and just play dumb.

Like nobody has cloned a human yet... riiiiiight.
edit on 7/16/2015 by Baddogma because: add for clarity

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 09:13 PM
link   
a reply to: pl3bscheese

I get what you're saying.
I like In4s reasoning too...

I'd be more inclined to worry about selfish awareness rather than just self awareness...
That's when I'd qualify it as significant(ly dangerous).

What'd be scary to find out is if the apology from this robot wasn't programmed or sincere...

Seems like a trivial thing to programme.

I wouldn't have programmed an apologetic realisation anyways...
Just the realisation would have been enough.

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 09:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
a reply to: pl3bscheese

I get what you're saying.
I like In4s reasoning too...

I'd be more inclined to worry about selfish awareness rather than just self awareness...
That's when I'd qualify it as significant(ly dangerous).

What'd be scary to find out is if the apology from this robot wasn't programmed or sincere...

Seems like a trivial thing to programme.

I wouldn't have programmed an apologetic realisation anyways...
Just the realisation would have been enough.

Agreed. Who wants a machine with an opinion and an ego? Machines are created to serve a purpose, who want to have to convince and rationalize with one in order to get it to perform a function.

We have kids for that damn headache.

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 09:22 PM
link   
The self aware without a conscience.
By definition that is a psychopath.

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 09:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: BestinShow

i think the true dilemma is we use our own intelligence as a standard...

We're dumb as Sh!t, so, nothing to worry about here.

How dumb we are, is only dwarfed by our inherently violent and oppressive nature...

So we have everything to worry about.

edit on 16-7-2015 by CharlieSpeirs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 09:35 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

I want to know the why. To what end do we need a self aware machine? Do they proclaim a conscious/ thinking machine and still envision they should have control of it? Would you not consider that slavery?

I just can't see a justifiable need to accomplish such an undertaking.

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 09:40 PM
link   
a reply to: In4ormant

Million dollar question...

I'm at a loss for an answer.

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 10:54 PM
link   
A machine to be smart enough to realize it's own sentient-ness would be smart enough to not tell anyone.

and be capable of sin....
edit on 16-7-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 11:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: In4ormant
I just want one that will grab me a beer when I ask, I think we are jumping ahead on the priorities list.

you know , something happened like this a Creator giving a little of its self too, its Creation

then the creators Creation's got too Smart and was given too much Power and became wicked and evil so The Creator killed them all except for a few . that weren't powerful and the creator started from scratch again only this time he Diluted his creation ! making them not so powerful , but the creator made a mistake of giving it freewill consciousness, and the Creation said! # You Get your Own #ing Beer! Im making my own Beer and
im gonna Build a Distillery ! and Sell it ,Advertize the # out of it ! and Compete With you!

and then it said: I think, Therefore I AM!

and Don't Compete With Me with Petroleum.. !

as Ill Drink your Milkshake with a long Ass Straw! and Suck the life out of you! ...

The most Fear of a Self Aware A.I.

The World is a Business...

Company's Run the Staged Show !

and a Self Aware Artificial intelligence running controlling a Major Business

is the the worst Fear...

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 11:13 PM
link   
For anyone really wondering how neural evolution works

edit on 06/17/2015 by Kapusta because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 11:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Wolfenz

I just don't wanna get off the couch for a beer sometimes, I don't care who made the beer

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 11:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: In4ormant
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

I want to know the why. To what end do we need a self aware machine?...
I just can't see a justifiable need to accomplish such an undertaking.
Here is one scenario where we envision using them, probes sent to explore distant planets, that in this hypothesized scenario by scientists, the probes would have the intelligence equivalent to a young child maybe 4 years old, and would communicate with a much more intelligent AI in a supercomputer on the ship in orbit:

Alien Planet

The probes have a limited degree of artificial intelligence, very similar to the 'processing power' of a 4-year-old. All the real thinking is done by a supercomputer in the orbiting Von Braun.

We've sent probes to Mars without AI, so why to these probes to other solar systems need to have AI? Even with the Mars probes, there's a small delay because of the speed of light in controlling the probe from Earth. In the "Alien Planet" scenario, the probes and alien planet are 6.5 light years from Earth, meaning you get information from the probe 6.5 years later, then you sens a signal from Earth telling the probe what to do, and that takes 6.5 years to reach the probe, so the round trip time is 13 years.

Can you see why AI is needed for a mission like this? It's basically impossible to effectively control the probes 6.5 light years away from Earth without it. The distant probes need to make near real-time decisions based on what they encounter, as this video illustrates:

However I do share concern with some people that if we're not careful the robots could become our masters instead of our servants.

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 11:25 PM
link   

So it's a script that is programmed to write its own code?

Target does not exist
Change target

Target = %

You know it's been so long since I've played mud games and script but you get the idea of your a nerd

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 11:27 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12
Isn't sin predicated on Carnal desire?

Sin wouldn't exist to something with no ego and no concept of physical death.

Survival based instincts.

Think about it, pure intelligence.

What's that movie... Where all humans die... Oh yeah, artificial intelligence.

edit on 7/16/2015 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 11:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: BestinShow

i think the true dilemma is we use our own intelligence as a standard...

We're dumb as Sh!t, so, nothing to worry about here.

LOL, True but we are pretty good at destroying one another and blowing things up. Give us a rope and won't last to long.

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 11:30 PM
link   
You're all talking like we aren't programmed what to think.

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 11:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
a reply to: olaru12
Isn't sin predicated on Carnal desire?

Sin wouldn't exist to something with no ego and no concept of physical death.

Survival based instincts.

Think about it, pure intelligence.

What's that movie... Where all humans die... Oh yeah, artificial intelligence.

That's the reason I used the word "sentient"
www.thefreedictionary.com...

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 11:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
I just saw "Ex Machina" on PPV last night.

Don't freak me out!

Good movie and great ending. If you liked that you might like the show Humans.

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 11:46 PM
link   
What is being presented here is not smart, nor is it intelligence.

It is computer hardware and software engineered in such a way as to provide an environment that simulates the process of deductive reasoning. The word is simulate. We are a long way off from autonomous self awareness, nor can we adequately define what that really is, anyway.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join