It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stupid self inflicted injuries. Share you stupidity.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 08:54 PM
link   
a reply to: chelsdh

i never thought about it till you ask, but yes i do.

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 09:03 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

When I was in my youth, pudding came in containers with metal pull tops. After devowering the contents of the container, I fit the entire metal lid into my mouth and quckly pulled it out...I didn't want to waste any of the chocolate goodness! The taste of blood came seconds before the screaming pain. I had sliced both sides of my mouth with a Snack Pack pudding top!

That was the end of my eating pudding.

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Once, a fallen tree fell onto our fence, and my parents felt I was mature enough to handle a machete and a hatchet. Clearing the brush with the machete, I decided to swing too hard, and cut into my leg...It was a deep cut, but very little bleeding (I still have a scar and I think I'm missing a piece of bone).

I was carrying a piece of wood with rusty nails in it to build a fort with. I tripped, and landed on top of the wood, with the rusty nails sticking into my hand. Went on to continue building the fort, and washed the wound after. No trip to the hospital, and still have 3 faint scars on the hand.

Swatting at ground wasps with a shovel wasn't the best idea - I got my karma when one of the wasps, seeing a big, clumsy human swinging a long-range item, decided to land directly on my chest and give it to me.

This one takes the cake though - I tied a piece of twine around a branch that was about 8-10 feet off the ground. I told myself I was going to climb this. When I was 2 inches from grabbing the branch, the twine snapped, and I landed flat on my back. Apart from being winded (and I'm also fairly certain my back was out of alignment, to the point it affected my ability to swim), no major damage.

Oh, and does sticking a metal fork in the microwave count, even if I don't get injured? At least the colors of the flame were cool.

-foss

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 11:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Ultralight

Ouch, that actually made me scream out loud!

Thats got to be an 8 out of 10 for stupidity.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Many years ago it was a Sunday evening after a crazy weekend of partying with my neighbours. Everyone had been on it since the Friday night, but I crashed and bailed, absolutely hammered, on Sunday afternoon to my sofa.

A few hours later I was woken by a mate knocking on the door, I shouted "Piss off I'm done, I'm working tomorrow, you ain't!"
Bang bang bang, "Come on you lightweight"
"No, Piss off!!!"

Similar exchange for the next minute or so until I leapt from the sofa in a drunken rage for him to leave me alone and punched through my living room window, triple glazed. I chose the main front window in the wall not the door because I only wanted to show my mate I meant business, and not risk him being showered in glass.
My window in any case, I thought in my anger, I'll just put new glaze in tomorrow.

What a mistake. My mate did of course get the message but in that instant I recognised the pain of a deep wound and the large amount of blood which was fast leaking from me.
I saw tendons I'd never seen before from two deep cuts on my first and second fingers from the Proximal interphalageal joints to above both knuckles. Same with my thumb.

I knew it was bad, I knew it needed many stitches, but I knew I was off my head and I really didn't want to be 'one of those' patients filling up accident & emergency on a weekend, so I decided to 'mend' it myself.
I washed it under the cold tap, with cotton buds, then poured antiseptic into it, then grabbing my wrist with the other hand to stem the flow and through sheer agony! That antiseptic totally used up all my endorphins and adrenalin and other substances in my blood stream...it really really hurt!

I then wrapped my wounded digits/hand in cling film (food wrap) followed by a bandage held in place with electrical tape, and then I crashed out asleep on the sofa.

I woke up for my alarm for work, the deep throbbing in my hand reminded my groggy mind about the stupid injury the evening before, took my dressing off, and blood immediately started leaking out again. The reality set in and I took myself to hospital.

40 something stitches, and a hand which took 6 months of physio to be able to work properly again. I still have numbness issues in the shaft of both fingers and thumb sometimes, but they work as they did before.

Pain? 7/10 at the time of the punched window, 10/10 with the antiseptic poured into it, 3 to 5 out of 10 while initially healing and doing physio.

Stupidity? 10/10 for all of it that weekend.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Well,thank goodness for this thread-
I thought no one else on this rock we call Earth was quite as accident prone as me.
So glad to find out I am amongst clumsy friends.

But hey-accidental injuries are good for you-you learn from them,and never repeat them.
If you are like me,you just find newer more creative ways to Frak yourself up without even trying.

I am building a wood cabin as my next project,so watch this space folks..

Great thread NonSpec.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 03:51 PM
link   

I grew up surrounded by ineptitude.

link   

link   

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Then there was the time I rode my Shiney new purple girls bike with banana seat and back bar into a four string barbed wire fence that I didn't see until it was too late. They had to pull me off the fence, knock me out in the ambulance and I awoke to 47 stitches here and there....that smarted!

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Then there was the time I rode my Shiney new purple girls bike with banana seat and back bar into a four string barbed wire fence that I didn't see until it was too late. They had to pull me off the fence, knock me out in the ambulance and I awoke to 47 stitches here and there....that smarted!

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 03:56 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 05:35 PM
link   
a reply to: blondegiraffe

It's a habit I can't seem to stop.... Open mouth = better applied mascara!

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Permanently dislocated my knee when I was 15 playing volleyball in PE class.

I went to return a serve when my body went towards the ball and my right leg went the other way. Heard a pop, crack and crunch before I hit the grown. The doctor I saw said I had badly sprained it and slowly over time it sort of healed but it was never the same. After 10 years, a doctor finally sent me for an MRI after I was complaining of a catching feeling at the side of the injured leg and lo and behold not only had I dislocated my knee but I chipped a piece of bone that eventually migrated down my leg to just below my knee. My kneecap healed halfway out of socket and at an angle.

To add insult to injury, volleyball was my least favourite sport in PE.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 10:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

Many years ago it was a Sunday evening after a crazy weekend of partying with my neighbours. Everyone had been on it since the Friday night, but I crashed and bailed, absolutely hammered, on Sunday afternoon to my sofa.

A few hours later I was woken by a mate knocking on the door, I shouted "Piss off I'm done, I'm working tomorrow, you ain't!"
Bang bang bang, "Come on you lightweight"
"No, Piss off!!!"

Similar exchange for the next minute or so until I leapt from the sofa in a drunken rage for him to leave me alone and punched through my living room window, triple glazed. I chose the main front window in the wall not the door because I only wanted to show my mate I meant business, and not risk him being showered in glass.
My window in any case, I thought in my anger, I'll just put new glaze in tomorrow.

What a mistake. My mate did of course get the message but in that instant I recognised the pain of a deep wound and the large amount of blood which was fast leaking from me.
I saw tendons I'd never seen before from two deep cuts on my first and second fingers from the Proximal interphalageal joints to above both knuckles. Same with my thumb.

I knew it was bad, I knew it needed many stitches, but I knew I was off my head and I really didn't want to be 'one of those' patients filling up accident & emergency on a weekend, so I decided to 'mend' it myself.
I washed it under the cold tap, with cotton buds, then poured antiseptic into it, then grabbing my wrist with the other hand to stem the flow and through sheer agony! That antiseptic totally used up all my endorphins and adrenalin and other substances in my blood stream...it really really hurt!

I then wrapped my wounded digits/hand in cling film (food wrap) followed by a bandage held in place with electrical tape, and then I crashed out asleep on the sofa.

I woke up for my alarm for work, the deep throbbing in my hand reminded my groggy mind about the stupid injury the evening before, took my dressing off, and blood immediately started leaking out again. The reality set in and I took myself to hospital.

40 something stitches, and a hand which took 6 months of physio to be able to work properly again. I still have numbness issues in the shaft of both fingers and thumb sometimes, but they work as they did before.

Pain? 7/10 at the time of the punched window, 10/10 with the antiseptic poured into it, 3 to 5 out of 10 while initially healing and doing physio.

Stupidity? 10/10 for all of it that weekend.

I actually think you were quite astute to use cling film.

Sterile, stops blood flow, doesn't stick to wound, can be inspected without causing re-bleed.

I've known paramedics who carry some 'just in case' for major arterial cuts.

I'd recommend a roll of it in every first aid kit (better than the crappy tiny absorbent wound care stuff in cheap kits).

edit on 17/7/2015 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 05:10 AM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

Haha, washing the wounds with antiseptic and sealing them with cling film until I took myself to hospital was the only thing I did that wasn't stupid that weekend!
Oh, and the replacement window glaze cost me £200 to get made, but I fitted it myself with the assistance of a mate because I only had one working hand lol
At least my hospital treatment was free at the point of need, thank you again NHS

...off-topic, it is good to converse with you in a different thread to one we have crossed swords in fella. Just because I disagree in one topic doesn't mean I have any problem enjoying discussion about something different. I wish more members could separate their debates from their emotions regarding the person.
I put you in the class of an interesting ATS debater who is impressively like a dog with a bone regarding your particular subject. You are not an emotive facebook style poster as far as I see so even when we disagree, I enjoy reading your arguments.

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 05:41 AM
link   
I was 17 and our school had their sports equipment stored in garage like rooms at the back of the halls. There were about 4 of those large sports-mats stuck onto each other, making them about 2 meters high.
I of course had to climb up and pretend I was the "angry goat" from Sesame street, meaning I would go "bahh bahh" whilst trying to jump with all fours of the ground [mattress] at the same time. [I know, I know I was very childish...]

Just before I get to the injury, I'd like to say that I was already doing A-levels and there were a few very adult people in my class at the time, plus, to make it even more surreal [read: embarrassing] I was a new romantic, with my hair standing up thanks to a lot of hair spray.

So I was jumping up shouting "bahh", then hit the iron beam on the ceiling, fell flat down unconsious for a second or two.
As I was coming to, everybody was staring at me and then one girl started screaming. I noticed that blood was dripping into my eye and I thought it would be funny to get off those mattresses in a zombie way, with my hands forwards going "ahhh".

My teacher stopped all the nonsense and checked me out, I had an inch long gash on my head. He wanted to put water on it but I refused because I had a date later that day and didn't want my hair ruined.
It dried/healed well enough, I had no concussion and the date went on as planned.

If you wondered why I wasn't forced to go to hospital or got more medical attention, all I can say is:

Ahh those were the 80's [in Germany].

And just another where I broke my coccyx.
A bunch of kids lifted me up in order to put me on top of our lockers, the school bell rang and as we are now in the late 70's Germany, they were all good kids, let go at the same time in order to get back to class and I was dropped from above head hight, straight to the floor onto my tailbone.

I knew something was wrong but didn't moan because we were supposed to go to the fun fair later that day. I managed to hobble throughout the whole day, went on rides and everything.
In the morning however my lower back was so swollen and hurt so much that I needed bed rest.

Ahhh, the 70's.

Oh yes, one more. My deodorant wasn't working one day and for 'gawd' knows for what reason I held the nozzle right up to my eye to 'see' if there was an obstruction whilst pressing the top. Of course it worked fine that moment and I got a concentrated lot of deodorant straight into my eye, which hurt like hell. We washed it out and I couldn't see properly for hours. But it got better and I didn't need to see a doctor.

Oh, oh I know one more:

Small kid, about 10, wanted to help my parents carry the top half of a display cabinet. My mum was telling me that I could absolutely not do that. She really tried but I was a pesky little bugger and kept saying that I can 'do' it, totally underestimating the heaviness.
So to shut me up my mum let me take one side, standing by if I couldn't hold it but unfortunately not fast enough.
As soon as the weight was on me, my legs buckled and lost their feeling.

I had squashed a disk in my back. The feeling came back after a few minutes, I had to listen to a hundred "told you sos" and apart from feeling like an idiot I was in pain and couldn't go to school for a few weeks.
We did see a doctor in this instance [well he came to us in those days] and I got painkillers prescribed and had to start walking very slowly again.

Yes, I have learned a lot since then...

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Was helping my dad with some work for his business and my stupid 16 year old self decided it would be a good idea to use a 7000 RPM 12 pound DeWalt grinder....

Ended up needing 16 stitches on my knee

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Back when I was living in an apartment with a long hallway I was pottering about in the kitchen when I heard some classical music come on the TV.

I started to hop about about a bit because it just made me want to dance - so much so that I took a flying leap up the hall towards the living room.

Forgetting that I'd installed a steel 'chin-up' bar in the doorway - a few inches below the top of it.

I hit the bar with the top of my head - so, ouch.

Not so long ago, in the shower, I forgot if I'd rinsed the shampoo out of my hair. But, I'd just turned off the water. Never mind, just stand underneath and turn it on again. Right on the top of my head I got first a stream of scalding hot water followed straightaway by a bucketful of freezing cold - it hadn't had time to mix

And there have been innumerable occasions when I've dropped something under my desk, knelt down to retrieve it and then mis-judged when I should stand up. Banging the top of my head.

Earliest incident I've just remembered was when I was about 4 or 5 and I did a handstand. Unfortunately, my arms gave way and I landed top-of-the-head-first on a stone floor.

Pain: Prolly about 6/10 each time. Stupidity: 10/10 - I'll own it.

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Tried to cock a crossbow with slippers on......

The footbrace slipped and I think you can guess what bodypart was hit by the shoulderstock with basically the force of a full draw.

Took quite some time before it was painfree.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join