It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Farthest Object in the Universe

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 01:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

this...

Keep in mind that the Universe is 13.82 billion years old

Yes...I'm keeping in mind that it's probably a false assumption...because that's what it is...an assumption.

Light speed in a vacuum...

...and all we think we know...is most probably false.

- Universe most probably is not 13,82 billion years old...which automatically invalidates many of our assumptions which are drawn from the fact that we think the speed of light is constant...and has been unchanged since the beginning...I wont say Big Bang...since that is most probably cr.. also.

A non-constant speed of light could mean that estimates of the size of the universe might be off.

Livescience

I know that I know nothing - Socrates

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 02:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: PrivateSi
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Could there be an 'Age of Light' at which point all light is so flat (through stretching or some other decay) that it's invisible..... if it's stretched more than or equal to the length of the universe, for instance - or just decays (not sure what to tie that to in physics)... I'm no physicist....

Light isn't connected to the thing that emitted it. So there isn't any stretching. Photons don't decay, either.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 02:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Astyanax

I actually understood part of that. Thanks.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 07:04 AM
link   
a reply to: MarioOnTheFly

It's called science buddy, we go with the best information available. Right now, the BEST information we got says that the universe is 13.82 billion years old. Until we can refine that ESTIMATE (you DO know what an estimate is right?) that is the number we'll go with.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 07:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

It's called science buddy, we go with the best information available. Right now, the BEST information we got says that the universe is 13.82 billion years old. Until we can refine that ESTIMATE (you DO know what an estimate is right?) that is the number we'll go with.

sadly...it's not presented as an estimate. The age of the universe, and the Big Bang are presented as fact...thought in school as the truth. Some science people here on ATS will even get offended and offensive if you doubt these..."estimates".

That is all.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 07:23 AM
link   

I think you will be hard pressed to talk to anyone that matters that will tell you that ANY science is an absolute fact, let alone ONE figure from one branch of science that we've barely scratched the surface of.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join