It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10th Circuit rules that Little Sisters of the Poor must provide contraception

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 09:55 AM
link   
I understand them not wanting to be the ones who provide the contraception, but refusing to allow anyone else to provide it? Less contraception just means more abortions will happen.

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 09:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
I understand them not wanting to be the ones who provide the contraception, but refusing to allow anyone else to provide it? Less contraception just means more abortions will happen.

You're right.

What else can I say? You are correct.

Government should have the right to dictate what a religious tenet allows and follows and believes.

And what's wrong with abortions! I thought that they were good for the economy!

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 09:59 AM
link   
So... They're complaining about having to provide contraception, when they didn't file for an exception?

Okay. I guess filling out a form is against their religion?

I'm sure they didn't have any problem filling out that 501(c) tax exempt form. Why the sudden issue with this exception form?

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 10:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: ScientificRailgun
So... They're complaining about having to provide contraception, when they didn't file for an exception?

Okay. I guess filling out a form is against their religion?

I'm sure they didn't have any problem filling out that 501(c) tax exempt form. Why the sudden issue with this exception form?

I agree.

They should just follow whatever rules the government throws at them.

They've only been doing it for 175 years. It's not like they know what they are doing.

They need government to tell them how to do it.

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 10:03 AM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

your little bunny ears are crooked today, are you feeling okay?

no, a government shouldn't be telling the religion how to practice their faith, a mixture of the traditions and the people within that religion does that. but it does protect me, if I chose to have another faith that isn't as popular to practice mine as I see fit, as long as I am not infringing on the rights of others in the society.

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 10:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar

your little bunny ears are crooked today, are you feeling okay?

no, a government shouldn't be telling the religion how to practice their faith, a mixture of the traditions and the people within that religion does that. but it does protect me, if I chose to have another faith that isn't as popular to practice mine as I see fit, as long as I am not infringing on the rights of others in the society.

Government has every right to demand that a religion, any religion follow the rules and laws that government sets down from on high.

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 10:04 AM
link   

That's the thing. Rules changed in government, so if they want an exception (just like their 501(c) exception), they need to file for it. It's very simple, actually. Nobody is telling them how to do things. In fact, they do things the way they always have. Nobody is trying to step on their rights. In fact, they've taken steps to ENSURE those rights remain intact by allowing for exceptions such as this.

I really don't see the issue. Fill out the damn form, get the damn exception.

This is an organization using this as platform to cry persecution when it doesn't exist.

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 10:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: ScientificRailgun

That's the thing. Rules changed in government, so if they want an exception (just like their 501(c) exception), they need to file for it. It's very simple, actually. Nobody is telling them how to do things. In fact, they do things the way they always have. Nobody is trying to step on their rights. In fact, they've taken steps to ENSURE those rights remain intact by allowing for exceptions such as this.

I really don't see the issue. Fill out the damn form, get the damn exception.

This is an organization using this as platform to cry persecution when it doesn't exist.

They just need to obey government.

Fill out the forms, get permission and privilege from government to practise their faith.

Easy!

I agree!

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 10:11 AM
link   

They already HAVE the right to practice their faith. It's in the constitution. I understand you're be facetious but you're hyperbolic ranting isn't related to their right to practice their faith. They're absolutely free to do that. However, there are new regulations regarding every EMPLOYER regarding contraception. If this organization EMPLOYS people, they are by default included in the new regulations.

Yet, despite this, in the interest of PROTECTING their right to practice their faith, all they have to do is file a simple form and get an exemption from the contraception mandate. Easy cheesy.

They're not doing it simply to be able to cry foul when surprise surprise, they have to provide contraception because they didn't file the damn form. As an employer, you have to file all kinds of forms. You know this. What's one more? Seriously?

It's not about getting "permission" to practice their faith, they already have that. It's about an exemption from a government mandate. That exemption DESIGNED to protect their ability to practice their faith. So again, I don't see the problem.

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 10:11 AM
link   
I am gonna post this again, since, well, I think the whole concept is flying over people's heads.....

you do realize that it is the PEOPLE of the united states that the constitution protects right, not the established churches, not the religious business owners... but the PEOPLE!!! so well, unless there is a way for the employees of that gov't to refuse the coverage, the ammendment isn't being protected anyways.... just the right of the businesses and religious organizations to manipulate their employees into living under their belief system. which, by the way, is contrary to that ammendment also since each person should be free to form their own belief system

it doesn't matter if the religious organizations are protected if the people who make up those organizations aren't!! if even the pastor of a church still has to have insurance that includes birth control for his young daughter, just what difference does it make how it gets to him?? he's still gonna have to get it and well, probably doesn't have that much more control over weather or not his daughter uses it as an employer does their employee!

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 10:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv

Perhaps that's their goal?

I'm satisfied that this organization has options (like a waiver), but just refuses to take them, because they think they shouldn't have to obey the law.

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 10:13 AM
link   
This is NO different from a religious organization crying foul because they're being taxed, when they didn't file for tax exempt status.

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 10:14 AM
link   
I think I made my point very clear.

Religions have to obey government.

I agree with all of you here.

Government is the only entity that can grant the privileges of practising their faith in the proper manner.

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 10:18 AM
link   

and we can all live in a modern day soviet russia!!!
okay, off to the vet you go, your poor little bunny ears needs some splints made for them.....

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 10:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
Religions have to obey government.

According to Romans in the Christian bible, you are correct.

Submission to the Authorities
1 Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God.
2 Consequently, he who rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves.

Bible Study

You're a good student, Beez. And it's so great to see how many agree with you (and the bible).
edit on 7/16/2015 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 10:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

We're in agreement.

All religions should submit to government.

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 10:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
All religions should submit to government.

Just like EVERYONE else. Don't it make you just wanna bawl your eyes out?

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 11:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Government does know best.

How can we ever live our lives without government?

And as for religgions, they are free to worship and practise their faith as long as it falls into government guidelines.

It's so good to be on the same page!

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 11:20 AM
link   
So we have freedom of religion.
But not freedom of religion?
So next Muslims will have to sell bacon and acolhol.
Do the nuns have to give abortions next?

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 11:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: buddha
So we have freedom of religion.
But not freedom of religion?
So next Muslims will have to sell bacon and acolhol.
Do the nuns have to give abortions next?

You can have as much faith as you want.

But governrment has to provide the privilege to religions in order to practise that faith.

The nuns need to do their paperwork before they can do anything.
edit on 16-7-2015 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

<< 1    3 >>

join