It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Similar posts

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 08:33 PM
link   
I was on a board not long ago which had a 'search for similar posts' button just above the 'post new topic' button. How it worked:

You enter the thread title

Click ''search for similar posts'"

It brings up a list of topics that may be similar to yours.

With all the complaints about duplicate posts, could this be a way forward?
I know it would mean a shedload of extra coding (haha, nelson style) but it might be worth it. The board was Linuxquestions.org, they might give you the code anyway.

Just thought i'd mention it cos the mods and coders don't hate me enough yet.

Chris

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 08:48 PM
link   
If you look above, you will see a "Search" button. Its the same thing. 7th button from the left.

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 08:51 PM
link   
yeah, but this button i'm talking about is right underneath the 'post' button and automatically searches for you.

Like I said, it's a lot of coding work but linuxquestions.org will prolly give their code for nothing and it could be modified to insert into ATS.

Are you suggesting that we have no problem with duplicate posts?

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Its also almost impossible to use the ATS search.

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 06:57 AM
link   
I find that ATS google search works well.

ATS GOOGLE SEARCH

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Yes, but people don't search before they post. I've been guilty of this more than once. With this system, you go to post a new thread, you put in your thread title as normal, click the little 'search for similar threads' button and it brings up a list of similar posts. If the topic you want to introduce is already covered, you post in that thread, if not, you post your new topic.

It's just an easy way to get people to search previous threads before they post a new one.

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 09:57 PM
link   
I get what you are saying Chris.

It's like making a thread and when you click post, it asks you: "are you sure you dont want to post HERE" with reference to similar threads

It would force you to search first.

Sounds nice, but i dont know how plausible it is on this board.

---pineapple

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mizar
Its also almost impossible to use the ATS search.

While many people find the advanced boolean search confusing, it is 99% of time because they are not using it correctly.

The best thing to do to search ATS effectively is to spend five minutes just messing about with it after reading the brief tutorial on the same search page. It is quite amazing how the most obscure topic can be found with the correct search options selected.

Of course, for those who want to take the easy way out (but less effective), the Google search is another option.

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by SimonGray
Of course, for those who want to take the easy way out (but less effective), the Google search is another option.

yah for Google search

Google search isn't as accurate, but its ok for finding certain topics

new topics

top topics

join