It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange Bedfellows: Why Are the Koch Brothers & Van Jones Teaming Up to End Mass Incarceration?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 10:08 PM
link   
This is a promising alliance between left and right working to reform incarceration in a big way. It is an effect that is multi-partisan and while the parties have many differences on specifics they have come together to effect change in the US's horrific 'justice system'.

It was on Democracy Now (I listened on KPFK this morning 7.15.15) the video of the segment and written transcript can be found here.

What I was particularly impressed by (and it brought up fond memories of the days of the 'Fairness Doctrine' and cilivilized discussion that remained productive and focused) is that a 'corporate counsel' for Koch industries joined the discussion. Often these programs ask for members of the right to speak and they decline.

I won't spoil it for you - please watch or listen or read. There is much common ground, perhaps for different reasons, but shared non the less.

This has been a long standing collaboration among the various parties involved and has culmanated in several pieces of prision reform legislation currently working their way though the congressional process.

www.democracynow.org...

There are many important issues that we can make progess on if we focus on the things that we agree upon and not those we don't.

A particularly interesting quote from Mark Holden of Koch Industries:

Charles Koch and David Koch are classical liberals who believe in expansive individual liberties in the Bill of Rights and limited government. And so, if your goals are to honor the Bill of Rights and to remove obstacles to opportunity, especially for the poor and the disadvantaged, you have to be in the criminal justice arena.

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 10:36 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

In my home state of Nebraska the Death Penalty has been highly debated over the last few months. The newly elected Governor Pete Ricketts, who basically owns TD Ameritrade as his father started the company, has invested over 200,000k in order to have the Death Penalty by lethal injection legalized (this is over 95% of all money for legalization donated), whereas his main proponent for the anti-Death Penalty investor is led by a George Soros firm that has put well over 400,000k into the pot. I did an article about it here Quandry on Death Penalty

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 10:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: iDope

In my home state of Nebraska the Death Penalty has been highly debated over the last few months. The newly elected Governor Pete Ricketts, who basically owns TD Ameritrade as his father started the company, has invested over 200,000k in order to have the Death Penalty by lethal injection legalized (this is over 95% of all money for legalization donated), whereas his main proponent for the anti-Death Penalty investor is led by a George Soros firm that has put well over 400,000k into the pot. I did an article about it here Quandry on Death Penalty

Thank you.

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 11:23 PM
link   

I am not aware of the fairness doctrine what is it and when was it in effect? Thanks

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Tax purposes.
They are scrambling
to cover their asses ts

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 08:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: guitarplayer

I am not aware of the fairness doctrine what is it and when was it in effect? Thanks

I don't have time to look up the when and why it 'expired' but in brief it stated that TV had to provide equal time to both sides of any public issue debate. Meaning that TV could not give time to one side of an argument exclusively as they do now without providing the same time and exposure to the opposing side of the argument. I suggest looking at wikipedia for a primer on the subject.

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Here's a link to the wiki article.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 05:54 PM
link   
I never particularly bought into the hype that the Koch Brothers were evil and responsible for some vast and evil conservative conspiracy of corporate money. They're just two fat cats who donate money to places that agree with their worldview. Just like every other parasite on Wall Street, to be exact.

As far as evil brothers leading vast, evil conspiracies, I'd think there would be a stronger case for the late Dulles Brothers which I sometimes suspect the Koch Brothers are confused for.

It's nice to see reform pushed for on our ridiculous, corporate prison system, though.

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 06:02 PM
link   
They're shrewd businessmen and they can see the writing on the wall. My guess is, they're going to get out of the industrial prison business before it goes bust.

top topics

join