It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Give Zero Effs

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+14 more 
posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 05:45 PM
link   
In the year 2012, with the end of the Mayan calender approaching, I didn't know what would happen.

But if the worst unfolded around us, I planned go out with a bang.

For the longest time I'd been a fan of the Gran Turismo series on the playstation. Once a week a friend and I would get together, order pizza, and race fake cars long into the night. This swiftly evolved into an obsession that dominated us both--consuming a massive number of hours whilst we strove towards improving our racecraft.

Our favorite races were the endurance races, where we'd switch off every hour or so. Our favorite track was the Nurburgring.

So with December 2012 fast approaching, and the potential end of the world within sight, I made a resolution.

I was going to Germany. I was going to race the Nurburgring for real.

I planned on bringing my friend, but immediately met swift mental opposition.

"But we don't speak German," he protested. "But we've never driven racecars."

To me none of that mattered. I had an objective in mind. I had a goal to obtain.

I gave zero effs.

So I bought a book called Speed Secrets. I bought a Logitech G27 Racing Wheel.

And then I started practicing.

RSRNurburg offers a number of different packages, but the cheapest rear-wheel drive option they had at the time was the Lotus Exige 240s. So that's the car I picked--then every week my friend and I would train by racing it on the Nurburgring on GT5.

The deductible on the car was 30,000 euros. If I wrecked it, that's what I'd owe.

I gave zero effs.

Eventually my friend got onboard with the plan, and in September of 2012 we took a dream vacation to Germany and raced in the Gran Turismo Events track day here

I didn't crash. He didn't crash.

We had the time of our lives. We saw Sabine Schmitz, we ate at the Pistenklause, we stayed at the four-star Lindner Hotel.

For two days we ate and drank like kings while we spent them at the track. I got to drive that winding ~14 mile course through the Eifle Mountains, went flat out down Dottinger-Hohe, and got to race under open pit lane rules (we could run lap after lap without needing to pit).

I had one of the best times of my life.

And all that was possible because I gave zero effs.

How often in life do we let little excuses hold us back from our dreams? How frequently do we let minor obstacles stand in the way of our true desires? Had I listened to my friend--had I held back because we didn't know German or hadn't raced before, none of that would've been possible.

Instead, I just went for it. I let nothing stand in my way, and walked away like a champ.

Whatever goal you've set, whatever dream you desire, whatever you want accomplish with your life--there's a first time for anything. Don't let inexperience hold you back. Don't let petty problems stand in your way.

If it truly matters to you--if you genuinely want to accomplish it before you die--go forward with all guns blazing, and always give zero effs.

Since that experience in 2012 I've made that my mantra, and it's worked out well. I've skied down a mountain (having never really skied before), snowmobiled up and down another mountain, hiked to over 16,000', bungee jumped ~400', canoed up the Amazon basin, wrote two books, and explored the limits of my consciousness.

Each year I aim towards bettering myself in additional ways. Next comes whitewater rafting. Then my third novel will be complete. Then comes climbing Mt. Rainer.

All that became possible because I resolved to stop letting little things stand in my way. If I truly want something, I simply do it--and let the details sort themselves out. If it works for me, it can work for you:

When you wake up tomorrow morning (and every day thereafter) resolve to start giving zero effs--then see how fast your life changes.

See how quick you start living your dreams.

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 05:50 PM
link   
If anybody wants to see my pics from Gran Turismo Evo 2012, PM me and I'll give you a link to my fake FB page.

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 05:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Trachel

Some smart PR monkey is going to steal that title. It's good.

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 06:02 PM
link   
a reply to: InverseLookingGlass

Thanks! My friends and I say that all the time.

It's either "give zero effs" or ZFG (Zero Effs Given).

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Ever see Risky Business? Our best opportunities come when we say f it ad take the risk.

It does help to have all the money it takes gettin' risky…

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 06:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: InverseLookingGlass

Some smart PR monkey is going to steal that title. It's good.

The new "YOLO?"

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Nice story with a positive message!

Now take that G27 and use it on rFactor - check out some of the youtube footage ...
Waaay better than GT5 !!

Stay positive !

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Can't say I did the same OP. Good for you.

I just got really drunk so the rapture would hurt less.

Though its none of my business, what enables you to be able to do all these things?

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 07:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: eisegesis

Though its none of my business, what enables you to be able to do all these things?

You mean monetarily?

It's pretty simple. Instead of wasting my money at restaurants and bars like everyone else my age, I hoard it up like a dirty old man... then I spend it upon the things that truly matter to me.

I've got an ancient cell phone and a car that's almost ten years old. I live in a modest house and have one tiny LCD tv for my playstation. In short, I live super frugal.

But that lets me go out and live my dreams, which I wouldn't trade for anything.

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Sounds amazing! But I was surprised you didn't even mention the Autobahn. Driving a super car on that is my dream.

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 07:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: OpenEars123
Sounds amazing! But I was surprised you didn't even mention the Autobahn. Driving a super car on that is my dream.

My buddy and I topped out our rental on an unrestricted portion of the autobahn. It was amazing, but nothing compared to pulling around ~1.5 lateral Gs on the corner before the foxhole (or the massively unnerving descent into foxhole!).

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 08:01 PM
link   
And zero effs were given that day...

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 09:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Timely

I love RFactor but I never really got into PC sim racing. I prefer FPS and RTS on PC, and keep my racing to console.

I know the GT series has slightly unrealistic physics, but after my first few laps of the NBR in real life, I came back to the garage and the first words out of my mouth were "holy #, it's just like the game."

Braking points were about the same, throttle and steering inputs were spot on. I wasn't drifting around corners like you can for faster laps in GT5, but the whole experience was eerily similar to playing it on the console.

Cheers!

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Also synonymous to Crowleys"do as thou will"reply to: theantediluvian

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 10:51 PM
link   

You are missing out big time.
The effort to learn how to add all the free used generated mods is totally worth it.

Everything from V8 supercars to Porsche cup and sports sedans etc. Is there. Even drag racing !

Also there is a myriad of tracks to choose from.

Cheers.

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 08:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: ElOmen
Also synonymous to Crowleys"do as thou will"reply to: theantediluvian

Gross... no.

I'm not saying anything like what that guy said.

I'm just suggesting people live their lives to the fullest within all possible ethical and moral boundaries. Don't go killing puppies to get what you want, don't go sacrificing little boys like he suggested in his literature.

Be an upstanding morally impeccable human being that gives zero effs and lives life like a superhero. That's what I'm on about.

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 09:26 AM
link   

I think maybe the "zero" effs given - is giving some members an impression of not caring about anyone bar you.

I know that is not what the OP is about. I am sure you would pull over for an injured person or animal, and empathy is
fully functional.

Being goal oriented and focused is what I understand of the OP. As well as brushing negativity and being true to yourself.

It is a fine line between arrogance and being driven ... some may not see the difference.

Good fortune to you!

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 10:46 AM
link   
love it.. inspiring story

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 11:50 AM
link   
This is a really inspiring post and I need to hear stuff like this right now!
Having a bad day/ week and getting swamped with life and bills and people...giving too many effs!

Thanks for sharing - all the best to you

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 12:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lovely1973
This is a really inspiring post and I need to hear stuff like this right now!
Having a bad day/ week and getting swamped with life and bills and people...giving too many effs!

Thanks for sharing - all the best to you

Same to you! Hope your week gets better!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join