It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Minister criminally charged for not performing homosexual marriage

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 06:06 PM
link   
a reply to: TinfoilTP

Maybe companies don't want the fanatics who use hate and hide behind a religion as a representation of their Company.

i don't think people are getting fired for loving their Jesus, i think it's when they go on social media with discriminating hate talk using their religion as "Law"

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 06:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: RealTruthSeeker
Why would anyone go somewhere they know they are not wanted?

How did they know they wouldn't be welcomed? These dear business owners didn't have a "No Homos" sign on their business...

Besides, they have a LEGAL RIGHT to be married there. Why give into the bigotry of businesses? If I found out that the local ACE Hardware store wouldn't sell me a shovel because I'm a woman, I'd fight for my legal rights as a citizen of my state. I wouldn't slink off and try to find another hardware store and let ACE get away with their bigotry!

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 06:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

originally posted by: AnonymousCitizen
Well, that escalated quickly.

Not really. This story is nearly a year old. These business owners are not exempt from performing gay marriages, because they are a for-profit BUSINESS, not a church.

Source

This is an unfortunate situation and I do not believe ministers should be forced to perform a ceremony clearly contrary to their religious beliefs.

Churches should be forced to perform marriages of any kind. But this establishment (The Hitching Post) is not a church.

Uh, no? They shouldn't be forced because at this point all a church is doing is performing a ceremony, not giving you the marriage certificate.

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 06:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wardaddy454
Its pretty much donation based, so your argument is invalid.

That's not true! It's a for-profit business with set prices, JUST like a store. It IS a store. They sell weddings.

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 06:09 PM
link   
a reply to: MonkeyFishFrog

Not when it comes to GLBTQ+ people and topics it seems..

You should post that attention on ever new page

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 06:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

It's as if one day Jiffylube woke up and the Supreme Court ruled that a "Lube Job" includes paint jobs too.

So again, what new service was this place asked to do?

They were in the business of marriage, this couple wanted a marriage....
What does jiffy lube have doing paint jobs have to do with that.

Here's a hint.... Nothing.

My analogy is spot on.
The lube job and the paint job people both want an auto service. The Supreme Court ruled a Lube Job is the same as a Paint Job. In the eyes of the law they are the same, just another service to a vehicle and must be offered anywhere only Lube Jobs were offered previously. Try to get a paint job at jiffylube, not going to happen because it would destroy their business model.

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 06:11 PM
link   
For those who selectively read...

originally posted by: MonkeyFishFrog
a reply to: AnonymousCitizen

**ATTENTION**

Before this becomes a thread of misinformation allow me to set the record straight.

A) This happened back in October 2014
B) The Idaho city where this apparently happened has no record of any complaint filed against The Hitching Post
C) The Hitching Post was operating as a for-profit business meaning it fell under the city's antidiscrimination ordinances BUT the city decided to allow the couple to continue to operate their business as long as they only perform religious marriage ceremonies

It took me all of 5 minutes to find all this. Google before you get taken in by sensationalized headlines like we've been seeing so often lately on ATS.

**End of Unofficial PSA**

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 06:12 PM
link   

They shouldn't be forced because at this point all a church is doing is performing a ceremony, not giving you the marriage certificate.

But this is not a church, it's a BUSINESS and they CHARGE and MAKE A PROFIT for performing weddings. They SELL weddings.

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 06:12 PM
link   

No, it's like a gay couple going in for an oil change and being refused service because they're gay.

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 06:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Churches should be forced to perform marriages of any kind. But this
establishment (The Hitching Post) is not a church.

Did you mean should NOT be forced, BH? Just clarifying.

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 06:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinfoilTP
The Supreme Court ruled a Lube Job is the same as a Paint Job.

No, just that if a company offers a lube job to white people, they must also provide it for black people... No expansion of service, no "paint job", just the SAME thing for every citizen, as the Constitution demands.

originally posted by: Klassified
Did you mean should NOT be forced, BH? Just clarifying.

Yes, Thanks. Fixed.
edit on 7/15/2015 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 06:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Darth_Prime

I agree. I'm going to beat this into a dead horse.

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 06:15 PM
link   
a reply to: AnonymousCitizen

You conveniently missed out the most important part of this story:

The Hitching Post is a for-profit business. They recently changed the by-laws of their business to say their Hitching Post has a religious character because of activist federal judges creating law and redefining marriage to include whoever they want.

This is NOT a religious organization, this is NOT a church, this is a PRIVATE BUSINESS, and as such, a private business is required by law to provide services to all without discrimination.

This couple stated prior to the law being changed that they were operating a NON-DENOMINATIONAL service. Then they changed their own business description in spite of the change in law, in addition, they are NOT being sued.

Really, if you guys want to find a story at least find one that isn't so shot full of holes you could use it as a colander.

At least offer unbiased sources rather than bigoted, homophobic, religious trash sites like that one.

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Your analogy is only spot on from the view of ignorance.

Two people getting married is marriage regardless of the sex of each.

Paint jobs and lube jobs are fundamentally different in every way.

So, while I get why you see it as spot on, the rest of us see why it doesn't make sense.

And this whole event is clearly sensationalized.
Thought you were against stuff like that?

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Its pretty much donation based, so your argument is invalid.

That's not true! It's a for-profit business with set prices, JUST like a store. It IS a store. They sell weddings.

OK, and like any other store they can refuse business? Are you one of those people that decries intolerance while being intolerant?
edit on 15-7-2015 by Wardaddy454 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 06:21 PM
link   
It is no longer a separation between Church and State. It is becoming a full-fledged war. Notice around you , the ones that live in the US , how many wars are going on and being ramped up daily in this country. Frightening isnt it ?

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 06:21 PM
link   
I live a couple of hours from Coeur D'Alene in WA State, and have gone to school in Spokane, WA only a half an hour from the city. I have vacationed there, gonne swimming at the lake and know the local mentality.

This city is a cesspool of racists and is a known stronghold of skinheads and neo-nazis. It's always been this way, since I went to school some 20 years ago. You don't see Hispanics going through that city very much, and there is a VERY large Hispanic population all around it, definitely to the west of it... they just know better.

Now, I'm not implying these ministers are part of that group of racists or neo-nazis, but knowing the mentality they come from and are surrounded by daily, I am not surprised this is going on there and that someone from there would refuse service. Coeur D'Alene is synonymous with Nazi in WA State, where I currently reside.

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 06:22 PM
link   

edit on 15-7-2015 by Wardaddy454 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 06:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinfoilTP
The Supreme Court ruled a Lube Job is the same as a Paint Job.

No, just that if a company offers a lube job to white people, they must also provide it for black people... No expansion of service, no "paint job", just the SAME thing for every citizen, as the Constitution demands.

If I owned the business I would give them the exact same service.
Offer them pink and blue color coordination same as I'd offer everyone.
The exact same cake I offer everyone with a man dancing with a woman statuette on top.
The minister service would use the exact wording for everyone, do you take this woman....you may now kiss the bride etc.

Everyone gets the same, no difference not even in a minor detail.

Every gay couple would be pissed because they didn't get a gay wedding, proving there is a difference between a gay wedding and a heterosexual wedding. If there are differences then there are specializations. If my wedding service only offered heterosexual specialization for 35000 customers then that is what a gay wedding will get because that is all I specialize in and have a 35000 customer database to prove it. If they choose not to buy the service that I offer, there is nothing wrong with that. If they do choose to buy it then they were not denied my same service I offer to everyone.

There is probably a gay wedding shop opening around the corner specializing in that because there is now a market for it.

Welcome to Capitalism.

Oh and the gay wedding shop won't be expected to offer heterosexual weddings to force them out of their specialization destroying their business model and inventory. They would hire homosexual planners and stock up on only popular gay wedding themes and wares. Bible belt elopers won't be knocking down their doors to sue them.

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 06:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: MonkeyFishFrog
a reply to: Darth_Prime

Yep, I'm already seeing it. People are arguing over something that didn't even happen. I thought we were suppose to fight and expose propaganda at ATS, not help it fester and breed.

Them people have been doing what they do for a long time now and they have gotten quite good at it too. Keeping the us divided and at each others throats.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join