It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Peterborough Lift Lock

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 12:08 PM
link   
My friends are traveling and sent me an email about the Peterborough Lift Lock. They are traveling around Ottawa and this is one of the sites to see.

The Peterborough Lift Lock is a boat lift located on the Trent Canal in the city of Peterborough, Ontario, Canada, and is Lock 21 on the Trent-Severn Waterway.

The dual lifts are the highest hydraulic boat lifts in the world, with a lift of 19.8 m (65 ft). This was a considerable accomplishment at the time when conventional locks usually only had a 2 m (7 ft) rise.

More Wiki

I think this thing is about as close to a perpetual motion machine as you can get, as no external power is needed. Have a look at the video, (not my friends video, just one on youtube that is good)

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Never thought I would see a post on here about this but it is an amazing site (from my hometown) Even better to experience it!

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 12:24 PM
link   
a reply to: ugmold

Seen it in person multiple times, glad to see it being highlighted on here

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 12:26 PM
link   

sigh - it has nothing to do with " perpetual motion " - it relies on the water supply from the upper level of the canal and uses A LOT on each operation [ 144 tons of water is a lot of external power ]

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 12:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape

sigh - it has nothing to do with " perpetual motion " - it relies on the water supply from the upper level of the canal and uses A LOT on each operation [ 144 tons of water is a lot of external power ]

sigh, yaaaa, but still....gravity is a cheater.

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Hey this is in my home town too lol. I may be living out west but i am from Peterborough.

posted on Jan, 31 2016 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Quite an interesting thing! I think I should see this place in person some time. Thank you for sharing

posted on Sep, 18 2016 @ 04:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Talmaran

Quite an interesting thing! I think I should see this place in person some time. Thank you for sharing

It's worth the boat ride, for sure. Other interesting spots around there...Whetung Ojibwa Centre, the Canoe Museum (honest) and Kawartha Country Wines (with their generous samples). Lovely country...I'm just east a piece.

top topics

join