It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

auschwitz guard convicted of 300,000 counts of assessory to murder

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 04:40 AM
link   
www.huffingtonpost.com...

A 94-year-old former SS sergeant who served at the Auschwitz death camp has been convicted on 300,000 counts of accessory to murder. The state court in the northern German city of Lueneburg gave Oskar Groening a four-year sentence. Groening has testified that he guarded prisoners' baggage after they arrived at Auschwitz and collected money stolen from them. Prosecutors said that amounts to helping the death camp function. The charges against Groening related to a period between May and July 1944 when hundreds of thousands of Jews from Hungary were brought to the Auschwitz-Birkenau complex in Nazi-occupied Poland. Most were immediately gassed to death.

so he had 70 years of freedom. he is 94 and has to do 4 years.
yeah, that makes sense

edit
i read the term wrong

edit on 15-7-2015 by Mugly because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 04:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Mugly

4 years that he probably won't survive.He's in a bad state..

This happened just around the corner from my house.Lots and lots of cameras and media there.
edit on 15-7-2015 by Ericthedoubter because: Corrected.

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 04:48 AM
link   

Why only 300,000?

Is that the official death toll at Auschwitz?

(post by theultimatebelgianjoke removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 04:51 AM
link   

So you feel he should just be let go free, no punishment for the deaths that he was an accessory too? No punishment because he evaded punishment for 70 years?

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 05:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hongkongphooey

So you feel he should just be let go free, no punishment for the deaths that he was an accessory too? No punishment because he evaded punishment for 70 years?

not at all.
i think the sentence of 4 years is a joke. i just dont see what the point is.
thats not a punishment.

what kind of justice is 4 years, 70 years down the road?

+10 more 
posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 05:04 AM
link   

This man guarded luggage and collected money he didn't help to kill anyone. It's not surprising he was convicted in Germany a place where if you even question the number killed in the holocaust you can wind up in prison. Besides had he not done those things he would have been shot on sight. If you were given the choice of doing the job you were told to do or be executed which would you choose?

+7 more 
posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 05:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Hongkongphooey

He tried to hand himself in in the late 90's,I believe.He never even left Germany.All this is a media show.Politics,so to speak

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 05:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010

This man guarded luggage and collected money he didn't help to kill anyone. It's not surprising he was convicted in Germany a place where if you even question the number killed in the holocaust you can wind up in prison. Besides had he not done those things he would have been shot on sight. If you were given the choice of doing the job you were told to do or be executed which would you choose?

Yeah, and had Germeny actually won, he'd be considered a national hero. Victors write history both figuratively and otherwise. Not that I condone one thing or the other but yeah getting sent off to jail at that age for something your government did is quite something.

Side note: gotta admit, timing is quite nice here. Iran plays nice and suddenly the holocaust gets waved in our faces.

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 05:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ericthedoubter
a reply to: Hongkongphooey

He tried to hand himself in in the late 90's,I believe.He never even left Germany.All this is a media show.Politics,so to speak

Well now that we are building relations with Iran we don't want to forget our good friend Israel.

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 05:26 AM
link   

Yup.

Sending a 94 year old man to jail for 300+ thousand 'accessory' charges is obviously just a dog and pony show.

Ridiculous is right, the whole thing. I'm glad the last of the Nazi war criminals are getting their day in court, but the lowly German foot soldier is no the example you want to use.

~Tenth

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 05:30 AM
link   
Instead of jail time I think he should forfeit 95% of all his assets (will be too old to spend and his family will recognise where the money originated from) and somehow set up an auschwitz victom related fund . I feel the victims who are still alive today will benefit more from it than his imprisonment, although it would be poetic justice him dying in prison.

By all accounts he has regretted his actions and tried to turn himself in prior to the conviction so has showed remorse. Let him ( on a small most probably insignificant scale) redeem his actions, let him heal his soul so to speak...
edit on 15-7-2015 by rossacus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 05:39 AM
link   
this is a joke, at this point.
it's one of those things that are done to give an illusion of justice, the guy's basically dead.
a sneeze will take care of him, there is no reason to burn tax money to keep him in a jail.

But damn Germany is going out of it's way to cancel anything associated with those dark times

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 06:10 AM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

It's their decendants who rule the world i think we should be worried about, the ones who are like .. 60 yrs younger than this winner is. How much does the tax payer have to pay to send people to prison for life terms anyways? Maybe early retirement would suffice in this instance.
edit on 7/15/2015 by awareness10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 06:17 AM
link   
I suppose forgiveness isn't in the Lexicon of Holocaust survivors is it?
Track down every last person remotely associated and punish them regardless of age and condition.
Yep, sounds just like Israel.
Old, young, sickly -doesn't matter.
REVENGE!!

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 06:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Asktheanimals
I suppose forgiveness isn't in the Lexicon of Holocaust survivors is it?
Track down every last person remotely associated and punish them regardless of age and condition.
Yep, sounds just like Israel.
Old, young, sickly -doesn't matter.
REVENGE!!

But I thought it was Germany not Israel. And can someone please explain to me the logical argument (keyword logical) of making it a crime to deny the holocaust. For the sake of arguing, even if it is as true as the history books proclaim and someone thinks otherwise, how is being stupid a crime.

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 06:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

'Eye of an eye' VS 'turn the other cheek' ...

I guess you can always find holocaust survivors with some wise, non-hate or revenge inspired, motivations.

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 06:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rosinitiate

Yeah, and had Germeny actually won, he'd be considered a national hero. Victors write history both figuratively and otherwise. Not that I condone one thing or the other but yeah getting sent off to jail at that age for something your government did is quite something.

Side note: gotta admit, timing is quite nice here. Iran plays nice and suddenly the holocaust gets waved in our faces.

ATS nonsense strikes again! In order for this to even have a miniscule chance of being the case it requires coordination between everyone at the court with everyone in the Iran negotiations that means all the witnesses, lawyers, judges with all the politicians, civil servants etc of US, UK,Russia , France,China, Germany and Iran

Come on, reality check!

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 06:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rosinitiate

Oddly enough I hadn't heard a thing about it till I popped on ATS this morning. If it's being "waved in our faces" they're doing a pretty poor job of it, seeing as you couldn't get away from the Iran deal yesterday.

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 07:13 AM
link   
What justice is served imprisoning a 94 year old book keeper for something that happened 70 years ago , something he had no direct control over.
This isn't justice it's retribution.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join