It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Fight or Flight" (fear) vs. "Rest and Digest" (peace), Love thy neighbour, Optimism/Faith

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 03:01 AM
link   
The basic instincts are "fight or flight". The "flight" is the fear and the "fight" is the anger which is a response to fear. The "fight of flight" instinct produces stress hormones called cortisol which damages brain cells and the normal functioning of the brain including decision-making, language processing, and communication. The other instinct is "Rest and Digest" which releases hormones of happiness and love which is good for relaxing and improving the immune system. The more a person focuses on peace instead of fear, the more hormones of peace will be released instead of the stress hormones, and this will make it easier and easier for the brain to stay more optimistic and peaceful.

Many different religions and spiritual paths focuses on the importance of Love and Peace, but how can a person love their neighbour if they are in fight-or-flight mode rather than in the peaceful rest-and-digest mode? How can a person love their neighbour if they see them as someone to be in fight-or-flight mode with... if they see them as a threat? This is where hope, faith, optimism are important. Focusing on peaceful things not only releases peaceful hormones, but it also influences perception (optimism), just like the stress hormones due to all of the focus on fear and worry influences perception (pessimism).

Having Faith rather than doubt and focusing on Gratitude rather than lack, goes back to the heart of instinct, which is, "fight or flight" (fear) or "Rest and Digest" (peace). The choice is to focus on Peace or fear, to feel Safe or not. Not only does this benefit self, but it benefits others, also. When a person is not in condemn-and-attack mode ("fight or flight") against their neighbour, then a person is able to love them.

Interesting quotes by researchers on this topic:

...choose your words wisely and speak them slowly. This will allow you to interrupt the brain’s propensity to be negative, and as recent research has shown, the mere repetition of positive words like love, peace, and compassion will turn on specific genes that lower your physical and emotional stress. You’ll feel better, you’ll live longer, and you’ll build deeper and more trusting relationships with others—at home and at work.

...when you generate a minimum of five positive thoughts to each negative one, you’ll experience “an optimal range of human functioning.”

- Words Can Change Your Brain - Psychology Today

Interesting Bible quote which relates to this topic:

There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear... - 1 John 4:18

edit on 15-7-2015 by arpgme because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 03:02 AM
link   
If you are being attacked by a cave bear and you "rest" you will be digested.
That's sort of where it all starts.

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 03:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

maybe...maybe not. I red somewhere that playing dead with a bear might save your life
emphasis is on the "might".

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 03:08 AM
link   
a reply to: MarioOnTheFly
I think that depends on the bear. But ok, let's modify it to the cannibals in the next valley.

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 03:16 AM
link   
inner peace brings calmness and will allow you to focus and assess the danger of any situation, then take the right action.

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 03:16 AM
link   
a reply to: blucat77

then take the right action.

Which may be fighting or fleeing. Depending.

Believe it or not, fear can save your life.

edit on 7/15/2015 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 03:36 AM
link   
Fear weakens the immune system and ruins the normal functioning of the brain, including decision-making. That doesn't sound like the best state of mind to be in to solve problems. Some people are already living in fear and react quickly with impatience, unforgiveness, and anger, but it weakens their immune-system, brain cells, and promotes violence, not Peace and Love.

We don't need fear to avoid dangerous situations. We can understand danger without fear. Instead of doing something out of fear, people can do something out of Love/Peace. Fear is not needed, but can still be chosen by focusing on it and growing it (fearful focus/lack of faith/desperation, etc.)

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 03:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

fear can save your life.

Naturally. It is one of the most important if not the function of fear. It's a biological survival tool. Is there a difference between that fear and fear from the OP ?

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 04:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: MarioOnTheFly
I think that depends on the bear. But ok, let's modify it to the cannibals in the next valley.

I totally agree. If I was being attacked by a teddy bear I would not be too concerned, but if I was being attacked by a polar bear (or worse, a bipolar one) I would.

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 04:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: blucat77
inner peace brings calmness and will allow you to focus and assess the danger of any situation, then take the right action.

Death brings a type of calm and absence of fear, too.

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 04:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: arpgme
Fear weakens the immune system and ruins the normal functioning of the brain, including decision-making. That doesn't sound like the best state of mind to be in to solve problems. Some people are already living in fear and react quickly with impatience, unforgiveness, and anger, but it weakens their immune-system, brain cells, and promotes violence, not Peace and Love.

We don't need fear to avoid dangerous situations. We can understand danger without fear. Instead of doing something out of fear, people can do something out of Love/Peace. Fear is not needed, but can still be chosen by focusing on it and growing it (fearful focus/lack of faith/desperation, etc.)

People don't usually suffer greatly from horror movies. Perhaps fear doesn't actually do those things?

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 04:59 AM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

There's no reason to assume that the natural effects of cortisol/stress hormones is something horror movie watchers as immune to.

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Pretty sure op is talking about living in fear on a day to day basis, not specific occurances like being attacked by a cave bear.

The question is, do a lot of people live this way from day to day? If so, is that considered a mental problem?

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 09:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Hephster

I think most people are living in survival mode for the most part. Most people do what ever they have to to eat, sleep and take care of the ones they love. So would survival mode lean towards fear? If so how can just surviving day to day on mere scraps of society be considered Mental?

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 01:06 PM
link   
a reply to: arpgme

I love it when our chemical responses and changed mental states agree with modern psychology AND the 2000-4000 year old religious texts.

Seems like the enlightened one's who gave us the scriptures were the first true psychologists.

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 05:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Skorpy

When I was referring to op's post and people living in fear I was referring to what op was saying about people living in fear of their neighbours. Not people living in fear of where their next meal is going to come from.

I would guess we would have to be discussing people living somewhat comfortably that have food, clothing and shelter and a job in order to be talking about people who have the luxury of worrying about what their neighbor thinks of them.

I wondered if those people who were comfortable yet still living in fear of their neighbors were the ones with mental disorders, like paranoid personality disorder etc.

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 06:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Isurrender73

I love it when our chemical responses and changed mental states agree with modern psychology AND the 2000-4000 year old religious texts.

Why is that surprising? By modern psychology you mean "packaged" by a University to create a modern pseudo science based discipline so one can look important, fool most of the people that they have studied "science" and charge the appropriate amount for their services?

Our mental states are always changing, its called living. The psychiatrist came along to replace the confessor-priest who had served man for thousands of years. A lot complain about the witch hunts carried out by the Church in earlier centuries. Meanwhile the psychiatrists chemically incarcerate and castrate man with the blessing of the "State" when said man lives differently.

www.cyc-net.org...

Thomas Szasz, a seminal text from 1960, prior to the publication of his well-known book with the same name

My aim in this essay is to raise the question "Is there such a thing as mental illness?" and to argue that there is not. Since the notion of mental illness is extremely widely used nowadays, inquiry into the ways in which this term is employed would seem to be especially indicated. Mental illness, of course, is not literally a "thing" — or physical object — and hence it can "exist" only in the same sort of way in which other theoretical concepts exist. Yet, familiar theories are in the habit of posing, sooner or later — at least to those who come to believe in them — as "objective truths" (or "facts"). During certain historical periods, explanatory conceptions such as deities, witches, and microorganisms appeared not only as theories but as self-evident causes of a vast number of events. I submit that today mental illness is widely regarded in a somewhat similar fashion, that is, as the cause of innumerable diverse happenings. As an antidote to the complacent use of the notion of mental illness — whether as a self-evident phenomenon, theory, or cause — let us ask this question: What is meant when it is asserted that someone is mentally ill?

new topics

top topics

join