It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Elephant in The Room - The Culture of Minority Violence

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 04:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: MoreBeer
Until the excuses stop and blame is placed everywhere except on the ones committing these crimes this trend will continue.

We see all the favorite excuses to deflect blame in this thread.

Accountability and personal responsibility it what is needed and severely lacking in this community with ridiculously high crime rates.

I agree with you but instead of putting blame we should be asking what is the reason "Accountability and personal responsibility" are missing, instead of people screaming RASIST when unconformable questions are ask, we should be seeking the answers to these questions not hiding behind the word rasit and PC

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Until the excuses stop and blame is placed everywhere except on the ones committing these crimes this trend will continue.

Accountability and personal responsibility it what is needed and severely lacking in this community with ridiculously high crime rates.

Why the hell do others have to answer for the crimes and idiocy of others?

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 04:30 PM
link   
The ones amongst us who are of the highest intelligence and highest moral and spiritual ideals imo are the superior race and that isn’t determined by skin color or race but by how we utilize higher ideals for the benefit of all.

The superior race is the human race

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Gawd I cannot believe there are people on ATS who think when someone of a certain race does something the entire race needs to answer for it.

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 04:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: krosnos
Gawd I cannot believe there are people on ATS who think when someone of a certain race does something the entire race needs to answer for it.

You will always find people who do not want to understand, its always so much easier to blame some one else than look in the mirror

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 04:36 PM
link   

They don't but if they want to stop the never ending cycle that sullies even good peoples names, then they have to take personal responsibility to make sure that their offspring, brothers / sisters, cousins, and acquaintances in this community do not commit these same acts and are held to a higher standard.

Or remain silent and complacent and be prepared to look at graphs such as this and deny the truth.
edit on 15-7-2015 by MoreBeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 04:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: imod02

originally posted by: Daedal
Yet no one discusses how this came to be in the African American community; the disproportionate affect of the Great Migration Northward and the ghettos, federal projects and utter poverty that awaited them.

If you have never read about the Great Migration and how, in my opinion, poverty and social exclusion amongst other stigmas has contributed to the disproportionate and often legal bias America's ethnic community deals with.

I dont think its so important how the mess happened, we need to get free of PC talk openly about the problems of today and start finding ways of fixing them.

I agree, we need to work on fixing problems; in this case it's important to know why we are dealing with this issue, where did it start from, how did it evolve into the systemic problems that surround poor communities.

I've been reading about the Great Migration, most of which was to Chicago and the housing blocs that were set up for African Americans leaving the South in hopes of work and finding a better life. It's a very interesting story.

I think if we better understood this portion of history, we can gain insight into the affects poverty has in inducing crime and why statistically it's higher in poor communities especially in Chicago.

It a very telling tale. Instead of wondering why crime is higher in this part of the country, as example, if we go back a hundred years and look at its roots and social impacts, we can see how these problems became the issues we see today and deal with them through this lens, with compassion and an understanding.

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 04:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Daedal

I agree with you but sadly history is often used a reason not to change.

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 04:44 PM
link   

They don't but if they want to stop the never ending cycle that sullies even good peoples names, then they have to take personal responsibility to make sure that their offspring, brothers / sisters, cousins, and acquaintances in this community do not commit these same acts and are held to a higher standard.

Or remain silent and complacent and be prepared to look at graphs such as this and deny the truth.

This right here...is what I am talking about.

I live a good life, no crime..etc but it doesn't matter because what your saying is, I am accountable for the idiots in my life or race.

And by keeping quiet I am responsible for their actions and I say BS, I am only responsible for one persons action..MY OWN.
edit on 15-7-2015 by krosnos because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 05:00 PM
link   
a reply to: krosnos

Just so, and when we finally understand that and embrace it, we are set free.

You are the only one who can control you. Your circumstances do not do it, the people around you do not do it, what you look like does not do it, and who you want to sleep with cannot do it. Only you can do it. You are the one who makes all your choices.

To let anyone else influence you is to let them control you and have power over you. Make sure they are worthy of that power before you let them influence you.

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 05:05 PM
link   
I find it ironic that a lot of people want school acceptance to be more fair than "actual" day to day life. What I mean is that some people want to eliminate "Affirmative Action" in choosing those who are accepted in school. They want people to succeed on their own individual merits. Yet, I am judged more harshly because people who share similar melanin content as mine happen to more heavily populate crime statistics. In life, I am often NOT allowed to succeed on my own individual merits. Crime is relatively low, even if Black people are committing a lot of it.

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 05:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: ShadowLink
a reply to: Phage

If all things were equal then yes, a proportionate number of whites would be incarcerated.
But all things are not equal, most blacks are living at or below the poverty line, in low income neighborhoods.
We all know that most of these areas are crime heavy, at least more so than upper class neighborhoods.

As I said previously, I won't argue that the police profile blacks more than they do whites.
The initial police contact with them may often come from profiling, but ending up in prison is usually the result of a crime that was actually commited. Drug possession, illegal firearm, etc, etc..

Ok, enough apologizing about profiling because that has nothing to do with this. Take a look at the homicide rates. Does anyone actually believe that the cops profiled the killer to be black, then a judge and jury falsely convicted innocent blacks because they were black? If anyone believes that, I've got some prime swamp ground to sell you.

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 05:13 PM
link   
a reply to: ChesterJohn

White privilege is not getting shot 8 times by a cop for taking off your hat. It's the exemption of the assumption of criminality based on negative stereotypes surrounding your race.

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 05:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: notmyrealname
That is absolute Horsecrap! I was raised poor made poor choices and lived on the street when I was 15. I had no invisible 'angel' helper and I could very well have ended up in the criminal justice system. Instead, I (ME, MYSELF AND I) joined the military (no where else to go) and did well until I was injured and medically retired. I then chose to start at the bottom again and worked my way up the ladder in a different country where racial prejudice was the norm against people like me. I worked hard and fought ulcers until I succeeded.

It is simple; I worked hard and reaped the benefits.

You are entitled to your opinion, but I am holding to mine as I see things a little differently. Whilst I respect your years of service, and indeed have relatives of my own whom served; when I have asked them if they would serve today, the answer was a resounding NO.

Now, you are correct, serving in the military will possibly aid in pulling you out of poverty. If you thought that was a fair trade to risk life and limb for that chance, more power to you. You yourself said that you "had nowhere else to go" - do you think you might have made a different choice, had you experienced a more positive and less poverty-filled upbringing?

These days, locally I see military employees working a second job at gas stations and the like, because they cannot subsist on what they earn...I recognize that things may have differed in years prior.

However I would never in a million years, suggest that minorities sign their lives away, to fight wars that their socio-economic "betters" would never actually fight themselves. Wars today are not the same as they were in the past, and are fought for political and corporate reasons, none of which include a direct threat to you or I - in spite of what the msm preaches on the daily.

We can do better than this. We MUST do better than this. Helping people to help themselves should never mean sending them off to war en masse. It should mean a decent starting point, of safe shelter, healthy food, education and a family/community for support. A person arrives at where they are in life, directionally proportionate to the base they started out with, for the most part.

Yes, there will always be breakaways, who surpass the status quo (clearly you are a credit and example thereof)...but it is also crystal clear that not everyone is able to do this, and definitely not the majority, or we would not be with things as they are today.

Which is why as we know better, we must DO better. Accountability and personal responsibility are only enhanced by a positive base, making a better world for everyone to live in.

After all, what good are the social sciences, if they never produce an answer to the decimation of societal ills? We cannot continue to ride this roundabout of chaos into oblivion, that is for certain.

originally posted by: notmyrealname
I have never gotten a handout from anyone and think it is a cop-out and an insult to tell white people that they have some unknown assistance.

I do think you misread me here, in that I was not speaking to "white people" and their situations of poverty only. Nowhere did I state this.

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 05:19 PM
link   
a reply to: imod02

If everyone had the same opportunities we would probably not be having this discussion. It's easy for someone whose had opportunity and social acceptance throughout they're lives, their parents lives and even generations; to not understand what it's like to only have had opportunity and acceptance for a relatively short period of time.

How can someone expect anything less than what we see happening. How can someone who has had freedom always expect those who have not to be on the same socially and economic threshold.

Example:

If your or my family has always had the right to business and education for generations, and then another's familiy gained that right hundreds of years later, would that family and it's generations find it difficult to obtain what others have always had for centuries.

The inequaliy and desparity between them would be proportionate to the years of exclusion from opportunity others have always had. Sure there are some that have a made it, good for them, but most still live with a system that has passed them by and wonders why it is like it is.

Things have gotten better. But there needs to be more opportunities and ways out of the burden the poor have endured in these communities.

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 05:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Daedal

There is a theory that every culture need to have some thing or some one to blame, if you like put all the evil into one group. If you look up the theories of scrape goat it seems to fit very well with what is been done

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 05:53 PM
link   
a reply to: rexsblues

kff.org...

When the environment you grow up in is detrimental, and the school system isn't that much better, + all the bull# being marketed to the minirity youth. It's a perfect breeding ground for future generations of degenerates and those percentages will continue to look the same if not worsen.

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 05:57 PM
link   
This is so stupid. Anyone who thinks skin colour affects violent tendency is retarded and racist. The real reason for these figures is the conditions of the areas where black and other minorities are essentially forced to live, not because of the white man but because of the system run by the elite which favor the white man. Its the people at the top who cause these issues. Dont be fooled this is exactly what they want.

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 05:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Hallowpinyo

Add in Mortgage Lending discrimination that happened in the early 1930s & is possibly still going on today.

Some folk need to open their minds just a tad bit more. Zoom out all the way and see the bigger picture.

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 05:59 PM
link   
a reply to: imod02

I'm not trying to place blame. I'm trying to look at the picture and figure out what has happened. Sure you'll have the few who benefit from tradegy and scapegoat the situation for profit, shame on them.

However, the few don't often speak for the many. Regardless, those who still find themselves stuck in aftermath deserve equality, as does everyone else.

The gap between not just the poor, but everyone increases daily. And for the ones who still live the struggle of opportunity and equality are burdened even more. The playing field is uneven, and soon we may find ourselves just the same if we don't address this issue of income inequality and opportunity.

Does growth even matter anymore at this point, how can it, when even if there is all the earnings go to the one percent. Something has to be done so common people have a chance to succeed, even if they are poor.
edit on 15-7-2015 by Daedal because: edit

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join