It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Elephant in The Room - The Culture of Minority Violence

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 01:29 AM
link   
Great topic and sources. I was just wondering why so many people who responded to this thread are turning it into a left vs right issue? Some of you people need to take your political blinders off.

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 01:35 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 01:35 AM
link   
a reply to: MoonBlossom

You're spot on, poverty is a huge factor in this. However, like you said not just the minorities are impoverished. The real issue here is a culture of violence that seems to be magnified if not widely excused by poverty. I think the bigger issue is the combination of socially identifying with poverty and a criminal culture all the while desperate for change. It's a nightmare of a paradox, but again one the culture imposes on itself and embraces, if not celebrates.

originally posted by: HenryLee
a reply to: WUNK22

POST REMOVED BY STAFF

So is that blatant denial or willful ignorance? I can't tell the difference anymore.
edit on 15-7-2015 by rexsblues because: (no reason given)

edit on Fri Jul 17 2015 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 01:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: rexsblues

Let me go ahead and point out the fact that there's something uncomfortable about even reading this thread, something within us wants to either find racism within this, or find a way to use it as a justifiable excuse for dismissing this culture of violence... isn't that f'd up? (Thanks MSM!)

Not at all, maybe a generational thing. But sort of, get where you're coming from, maybe? Lol. Maybe not.

But how would feminism have been advanced if using statistics, ect., been seen, before the get go, as misogynistic? Lol. Failure to launch at its finest. It'd been enmity from the get go.

edit on 15-7-2015 by ghaleon12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 01:45 AM
link   
a reply to: HenryLee
I'm going to assume you mean this post:

originally posted by: WUNK22
Man here it comes, the left doesn't want facts getting in the way. If there's a problem it must be due to white privilege, racist America, police brutality and colonialism! That's the ticket!

Although I personally don't believe in attaching left/right labels to anything, the rest of his comment I am completely in agreement with.

It always seems to be the main defense brought forth in this issue whenever it's discussed.

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 02:01 AM
link   
It could ultimately be, that black rights shouldn't be progressed too far, since women, well, weren't exactly slaves and look how far that has gotten. Even at a point of having advantage in society in general. So what would that look like for blacks? Or Native Americans? They'd have far more a case then the latter. And let's just say, Native Americans are suffering far more today than what "feminism" is generally including. Women, within Native American communities/culture, have their own distinct issues, that go way beyond feminism.

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 02:13 AM
link   
a reply to: rexsblues The graph is right. How so many African Americans are imprisoned is the racist part. Police do profile them.

edit on 15-7-2015 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 02:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: ChesterJohn

What the heck is White privilege?

I have been white all my life and I have had absolutely no privileges what so ever.

More things are handed to blacks and Hispanics than whites.

You must be mistaken and you must have meant Ethnic Privilege or minority Privilege because for the last 50 years they are the ones who have had things handed to the on a silver platter.

You have so many priviledges you don;t notice them anymore.

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 02:21 AM
link   
That graph bar says a lot of things, but not what the OP wants to say. I will touch this with a 10 ft pole, or a 1 ft pole. It's racist, it's been done- so it's boring. Other than showing absolutely nothing than police profile certain people.

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 02:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: rexsblues
a reply to: MoonBlossom

You're spot on, poverty is a huge factor in this. However, like you said not just the minorities are impoverished. The real issue here is a culture of violence that seems to be magnified if not widely excused by poverty. I think the bigger issue is the combination of socially identifying with poverty and a criminal culture all the while desperate for change. It's a nightmare of a paradox, but again one the culture imposes on itself and embraces, if not celebrates.

originally posted by: HenryLee

How do # posts like this gather so many stars? It added nothing to the conversation, right wingers circlejerking over violent minorities. Stay classy ats.

So is that blatant denial or willful ignorance? I can't tell the difference anymore.

Embraces and celebrates? Wow, that might even be worse than what Fox news wants to say. You are in your own little corner.

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 02:27 AM
link   
a reply to: reldra

Can you honestly sit there and say that if the police didn't profile blacks, that those bars would be much less skewed?

I'll grant you that the police do their share of profiling, but I think the vast majority of blacks in prison deserve to be there.

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 02:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: ShadowLink

Can you honestly sit there and say that if the police didn't profile blacks, that those bars would be much less skewed?

I'll grant you that the police do their share of profiling, but I think the vast majority of blacks in prison deserve to be there.

YES I can. and no. they don't.

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 02:29 AM
link   
a reply to: ShadowLink

Here's a thought.
Should a proportionate number of non-blacks be incarcerated? If so, is there a reason they are not?

Follow up, if your answer to the former is no. Upon what do you base that answer?

edit on 7/15/2015 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 02:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: ghaleon12
It could ultimately be, that black rights shouldn't be progressed too far, since women, well, weren't exactly slaves and look how far that has gotten. Even at a point of having advantage in society in general. So what would that look like for blacks? Or Native Americans? They'd have far more a case then the latter. And let's just say, Native Americans are suffering far more today than what "feminism" is generally including. Women, within Native American communities/culture, have their own distinct issues, that go way beyond feminism.

"It could ultimately be, that black rights shouldn't be progressed too far" what??
"since women, well, weren't exactly slaves" What??

you need to take a couple steps back.

+26 more 
posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 02:35 AM
link   
The "elephant" in the room, is THUG culture. Thug culture has been made to be cool by the media, and it has been for a few decades now. You don't have to be black to be a "thug", but the black community has decided that this culture should belong to them. There are white thugs, and Mexican thugs etc, but blacks choose to OWN this culture through many avenues, one of the major ones being the "Hip-Hop" community which promotes this culture while making millions of dollars off of it..

So much money has been made from the "thug life", the big wigs don't want to let go of it, regardless of the fact that it is tearing our society apart. We might even see a race "war" at some point as a result. But let's be clear once again since your OP made it abundantly clear the fear of labels being slapped on you and those speaking out against this by the many "liberal" people on ATS and otherwise, EVERYWHERE in the U.S......

This isn't a RACE issue, it's completely cultural. It's spawned by a culture that the black community has chosen to embrace as their own. When the black community wakes up and renounces "thug" culture, with conviction, then and ONLY then, we may actually see the light at the end of this God awful tunnel.
edit on 15-7-2015 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 02:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Wookiep I have not seen the media do this. Have you examples? The Black community has decided that thug culture should belong to them? When and how? You mention 'hip hop' music, Yet the 'heavy metal hair metal' I still listen to sings about similar things, yet I never felt compelled t be a thug. Nor did I when listening to 'hip hop'. Please elaborate.

+25 more 
posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 02:39 AM
link   

SNIP I will keep my discussion with you VERY limited. Watch MTV sometime and watch "thugs" being glamorized? Stop acting like you don't get it, you just look stupid every time you do it.
edit on 15-7-2015 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

edit on 15/7/15 by JAK because: Personal comments removed. Please see Terms and Conditions of Use section 16) Behaviour and remember to go after the ball, not the player. Thank you

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 02:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wookiep
SNIPI will keep my discussion with you VERY limited. Watch MTV sometime and watch "thugs" being glamourized? Stop acting like you don't get it, you just look stupid every time you do it.

Thanks for the personal attack. I do see MTV, have since the beginning. I also support some conservative interests. You are not paying attention. I still do not understand your argument. Tell me I am stupid if you must.

edit on 15/7/15 by JAK because: Quoted T&C violation removed.

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 02:44 AM
link   
Reldra,

So, what do you think is the percentage of blacks in jail that were "profiled" by the police?

Of those, what percentage do you think were falsely accused and convicted of crimes?

edit on 15-7-2015 by TorqueyThePig because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-7-2015 by TorqueyThePig because: (no reason given)

+6 more 
posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 02:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wookiep

Snip I will keep my discussion with you VERY limited. Watch MTV sometime and watch "thugs" being glamorized? Stop acting like you don't get it, you just look stupid every time you do it.

They like living with their head in the sand -- pretending to be clueless.
edit on 15/7/15 by JAK because: Quoted T&C violation removed

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join