It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Elephant in The Room - The Culture of Minority Violence

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+78 more 
posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 10:52 PM
link   
...Just the simple fact that I can't even attempt to post facts like this without seeming racist, kind of gives me a headache and pisses me off. I mean I had to go over the title of the thread again and again asking myself, "I don't know about that, does that sound racist?" I mean jesus this institutionalized guilt is getting ridiculous. That being said, I'm not racist and I'm not trying to provoke any bias, but how is it this topic is never seriously discussed? Are we really that afraid to point it out?

Crime trends

Some studies had argued for smaller racial disparities in violent crime in recent times. However, a study of government data from 1980–2008 found that the reduction in Black violent crime relative to White violent crime was an artifact of those previous studies, which was due to Hispanic offenders being counted as White in the comparison. The Hispanic population has been increasing rapidly and Hispanics have violence rates higher than that of Whites but lower than that of Blacks.

Homicide

According to the US Department of Justice, blacks accounted for 52.5% of homicide offenders from 1980 to 2008, with whites (including Hispanics) 45.3% and "Other" 2.2%. The offending rate for blacks was almost 8 times higher than whites, and the victim rate 6 times higher. Most homicides were intraracial, with 84% of white victims killed by whites, and 93% of black victims killed by blacks.

Youth crime

The "National Youth Gang Survey Analysis" (2011) state that of gang members, 46% are Hispanic/Latino, 35% are African-American/black, 11.5% are white, and 7% are other race/ethnicity.

According to the FBI Uniform Crime Reports, in the year 2008 black youths, who make up 16% of the youth population, accounted for 52% of juvenile violent crime arrests, including 58.5% of youth arrests for homicide and 67% for robbery. Black youths were overrepresented in all offense categories except DUI, liquor laws and drunkenness.

Robbery

According to the National Crime Victimization Survey in 2002, the black arrest rate for robbery was 8.55 times higher than whites, and blacks were 16 times more likely to be incarcerated for robbery than non-Hispanic whites. Robberies with white victims and black offenders were more than 12 times more common than the reverse.

Hispanics

According to a 2009 report by the Pew Hispanic Center, in 2007 Latinos "accounted for 40% of all sentenced federal offenders-more than triple their share (13%) of the total U.S. adult population". This was an increase from 24% in 1991. 72% of the Latino offenders were not U.S. citizens. For Hispanic offenders sentenced in federal courts, 48% were immigration offenses and 37% drug offenses. One reason for the large increase in immigration offenses is that they exclusively fall under federal jurisdiction.

Racially motivated hate crime

The federal government publishes a list annually of Hate Crime Statistics, 2009 Also published by the federal government is the Known Offender's Race by Bias Motivation, 2009. According to the Federal Bureau of Investigation Uniform Crime Report database, in 2010 58.6% of hate crime offenders were white (including Hispanics), 18.4% of offenders were black, 8.9% were of individuals of multiple races and 1% of offenders were Native Americans. The report also reveals that 48% of all hate crime offenders were motivated by the victim's race, while 18% were based on the victim's religion, and another 18% were based on the victim's sexual orientation. The report states that among hate crime offenses motivated by race, 70% were composed of anti-black bias, while 17.7% were of anti-white bias, and 5% were of anti-Asian or Pacific Islander bias.

Source: en.wikipedia.org...

The bolded text in that last paragraph is in stark contrast to the statistics listed prior, and is to denote the evidence of the amount victimization bias that goes into even reporting a hate crime. We are to believe and many have accepted that any crime against the majority from the minority is simply "normal crime" and not "hate crime" as is often considered/reported when reversed.

African- American Mob Violence

This is not violence by protesters or during protests. These are groups of youths over the past few years, predominately African-Americans under the age 25. Which are overwhelming shopping centers, intersections, pulling people out of cars, beating innocent bystanders, vandalizing vehicles, looting, robbing, in some instances even killing. Again these congregations are not for any cause of political protest. These are (as many MSM reporters describe) just kids or "teens" 'having fun'. And as with the 'knockout game' these weekly events and crimes are being ignored by not only the media but the local police in the overwhelming majority of instances.

Examples from just the past two months...

Charelston SC - May 2015

Macon GA - June 2015

Cincinnati OH - July 4th 2015

Chicago IL - July 9th 2015

Gang & Drug Related Violence

Do I really need to provide any examples?

Let me go ahead and point out the fact that there's something uncomfortable about even reading this thread, something within us wants to either find racism within this, or find a way to use it as a justifiable excuse for dismissing this culture of violence... isn't that f'd up? (Thanks MSM!)

This is about the facts presented and what is actually going on. Race is only being used here as a statistical and cultural denominator as within each and every race still reside levels of contrasting cultural differences. We are all unavoidably, inherently bias. All we can hope for is to be equally aware, and to do that we must look reality in the face.

So lets discuss, what in the hell is going on?

Why is violence perceived as "cool" amongst our youth? Why is violence respected?

Is it purely impoverishment and economics?

Or is it simply the power principle in action? Let us not forget, this world is mostly run buy wealthy white war pigs who love nothing more than causing and perpetuating violent conflict.

edit on 14-7-2015 by rexsblues because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 10:55 PM
link   
It looks like 'numbers' are racists to me.

+41 more 
posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Man here it comes, the left doesn't want facts getting in the way. If there's a problem it must be due to white privilege, racist America, police brutality and colonialism! That's the ticket!

+3 more 
posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 11:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: WUNK22
Man here it comes, the left doesn't want facts getting in the way. If there's a problem it must be due to white privilege, racist America, police brutality and colonialism! That's the ticket!

Funny and true.

+16 more 
posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Nobody wants to touch this issue with a 10 foot pole.

Ever.

+45 more 
posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 11:22 PM
link   
a reply to: WUNK22

What the heck is White privilege?

I have been white all my life and I have had absolutely no privileges what so ever.

More things are handed to blacks and Hispanics than whites.

You must be mistaken and you must have meant Ethnic Privilege or minority Privilege because for the last 50 years they are the ones who have had things handed to the on a silver platter.

+2 more 
posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 11:25 PM
link   
It's just a bit of sarcasm my friend. This problem isn't going away and once the silent majority gets tired of this, it isn't going to end nice.a reply to: ChesterJohn

I'm white as they come, and proud of who I am. What you said in your post is true.
edit on 7 142714 1515 by WUNK22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 11:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChesterJohn

I have been white all my life and I have had absolutely no privileges what so ever.

You must be mistaken and you must have meant Ethnic Privilege or minority Privilege because for the last 50 years they are the ones who have had things handed to the on a silver platter.

Since you asked...
'White privilege' is a label....just like 'racist'.
###snipped##

edit on Fri Jul 17 2015 by DontTreadOnMe because: *** ALL MEMBERS *** Ending Rudeness, Hate, Bigotry: Getting Back to Basics

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 11:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: RoadCourse

Since you asked...
'White privilege' is a label....just like 'racist'.
[snipped]

By the way.....does anybody make a pill for that?
edit on Fri Jul 17 2015 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 11:29 PM
link   
I would say the elephant in the room is social unrest. Look at Europe, I'd you follow it there are many unhappy citizens with the workings of their government and world. I like addressing roots, so let's assume the poor and middle class fight and pay for wars and bailouts. Maybe people are fed up, maybe people should adress things together. Or wait....that would be super liberal, like Obama. That real liberal guy who didn't get is in to Yemen and he pulled out of the longest war in our history? Or things are as intended, and we continue to separate ourselves while the powerful obtain more power as the whethy obtain more riches. There are politics and current events, I keep up on current events, call me a conspiracy theorist and I'll day read.

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 11:30 PM
link   
The truth hurts, yeah baby!

(post by IpoopThere4IAM removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)
+4 more 
posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Back in the early 70's I went to a government program to help get some training since I was young white and poor. Filled out all the paperwork and was told they could help find me a job but no training. I asked why and the government person said I was not a female or a minority and could not get training. They did get me a job and that was it.

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 11:44 PM
link   
a reply to: GUITARPLAYER

So we all know this world isn't fair? I'd rather embrace and recognize difference while not acting like someone else plays from different cards. I think true tolerance is seeing the difference in another race/sex/nationality, but speaking in a manner they know you see that as equals. How furious would I be if someone acted as if we are truly the same rather than just talking like equals and utilizing and embracing our differences and diversity. We are different and the only bigotry is hiding that, anyone with siblings knows we are all not the same, doesn't mean we can't love that.

+10 more 
posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 12:47 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 01:05 AM
link   
I screwed up the link to the Macon GA video, don't know what the hell guys talkin about. Sadly I can't edit the OP anymore, so here the correct link...

www.youtube.com...

+7 more 
posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 01:07 AM
link   
Unless and until someone studies the deep ramifications of generational poverty - and the anger and hopelessness that instills - this issue will remain unresolved.

I see much the same within the native population in Canada. Generational poverty is a very real experience, and if it keeps getting ignored things will remain much the same. I must say that it is also not solely experienced by minorities; and though the crimes may differ, generational poverty is a prevalent cause of many incarcerations and lack of later success in life.

When people speak of privilege, one would be ignorant NOT to realize that living in a 2-parent home, and having a safe shelter and enough healthy food to eat, and a financially stable family contribute vastly towards mental well-being for achieving success in life. This is of utmost importance to the stability of children here now and yet to be born - and the opportunities afforded to them (or not), will see them sink or swim.

One has to first see, that this is, in most cases, generational.

For every person who has themselves escaped poverty, they have had something of a support system that aided them along the way (in even just one of the areas mentioned above, or a single person or lucky break), whether they choose to see it or not. Most are not so fortunate, however, and thus we are where we are, societally.

FYI - Playing into the divisions of "us" and "them", this race and that race is doing exactly what the msm WANTS you to do. It's much easier to point fingers all the live-long day, than to discuss the real issue and ramifications of poverty.

After all, someone must be accountable in (or benefiting from) a system that supports the continuation of poverty; and we wouldn't want to deal with that, would we?

edit on 15-7-2015 by MoonBlossom because: More Thoughts

+5 more 
posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 01:11 AM
link   
Waiting for the campers to come in here and dismiss all those stats and that pretty bar graph with a single phrase.
"The stats are so skewed cause of racial profiling by police."

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 01:26 AM
link   
a reply to: ShadowLink

Exactly. Blame that and then poverty.

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 01:26 AM
link   
Couple of points...

White privilege has to do with a couple of issues.

1. If 70% of America is white then white people have an easier life due to the fact that people associate better with those that are like themselves and when you are the majority it is an invisible advantage. As a reverse example if you are a white guy and you go to a gym to play basketball with a lot of blacks you better have game, lots of it to be accepted, where the black guy who might be poor at basketball is accepted as association only.

2. With that said, the ambitious black person not only has to bring "game" based on lack of association, but must overcome the stereotypes of his race. I'm not saying the stereotypes are incorrect, but many are not very good such as the OPs percentage example. Unfortunately the stereotypes of his race that are are self induced tend to outweigh even the hurtle of association. Its like a double negative...

3. As example, a friend of mine (white) has a son who was 4.0 in high school, double major scholarship 4.0 in college, and today he works a 35k a year job because he feels that society needs to bend to him and not the other way around. What this tells you is if you feel you do not need to conform to society then society does need to accept you, no matter what race you happen to be.

edit on 15-7-2015 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join