It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

4,000-Year-Old Floored Structure Found in Ohio

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+39 more 
posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 10:49 PM
link   
This is a cool discovery, I had no idea of the existence of such sophisticated ancient things in Ohio. Go archeologists go!!!

“There’s nothing like this anywhere in Ohio. It’s very significant, a much more significant site than we previously thought. These are house structures. This was like a village site,” he added.

Source

SHEFFIELD, OHIO—A team led by Brian Redmond of the Cleveland Museum of Natural History is excavating a 4,000-year-old site in northeastern Ohio. So far, they have uncovered a three-inch-thick floor made from layers of yellow clay that was carried to the site. A basin was built into the floor, along with cooking pits and storage holes that held hickory nuts. Post holes show where hickory saplings were placed and then tied together to create a framework covered with cattail mats. “A small family would be very comfortable. They were well insulated, and sheltered under the tree canopy of oaks. Unlike at other sites, they’re going to the trouble to make floors. They’re here for months at a time,” Redmond told Cleveland.com. He thinks that these hunter-gatherers migrated to the area from the southeast to spend the fall and winter for a period of some 200 to 300 years.

The Hopewell culture flourished in Ohio and other parts of eastern North America during the Middle Woodland Period, possibly as early as 100 B.C. We do not know what these people might have called themselves. The name we use comes from Mordecai Hopewell, a Chillicothe landowner on whose property mounds were excavated in the 1800s. The site exemplified all the significant features of the culture, so it became the "type site" and its name was applied to the entire culture.

Hopewell settlements were small villages or hamlets of a few rectangular homes made of posts with wattle and daub walls and thatched roofs. The people raised crops including sunflower, squash, goosefoot, maygrass, and other plants with oily or starchy seeds. They also gathered wild plants, hunted deer and other large and small game, and fished. The Hopewell used tools such as knives and projectile points made of high quality flint and obsidian and hooks and awls made of bone. Their pottery was thinner and more refined than that of earlier cultures, and included new shapes such as bowls and jars.

Full Article

I'd like to see more discoveries like these found in North America
Very interesting stuff! Next stop, pyramids!

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 11:30 PM
link   
The Hopewell culture were an interesting group. Recently a grave site was uncovered where they buried a bobcat with human regalia.

I always wished that Native American culture was given a larger focus in American schools, but due to the genocide inflicted upon them at the hands of Europeans, it isn't going to happen.

Awesome article, flag and star for you 😀

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 12:16 AM
link   
My God, it's full of stars!

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 12:26 AM
link   
flag & star nicely done.

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 12:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Ghost147

There was a saying that before the arrival of the Europeans, there were many thriving civilizations in the Americas some of them unknown.

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 12:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Midnight4444
The Hopewell culture were an interesting group. Recently a grave site was uncovered where they buried a bobcat with human regalia.

I always wished that Native American culture was given a larger focus in American schools, but due to the genocide inflicted upon them at the hands of Europeans, it isn't going to happen.

That IS very interesting. I wonder what symbolism they intended for that?

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 12:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Ghost147

Who said anything of the past, Maybe this is our future ?

S&f Ghost.

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 12:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ghost147

originally posted by: Midnight4444

That IS very interesting. I wonder what symbolism they intended for that?

Conveniently, you can speculate on my thread about just that subject!
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Thanks for this. Ever since I read about the iceman found in british columbia, someone from 5000 years ago (!), I was convinced there's a lot of history around here. History, at least for me, was always centered elsewhere, not on the north american continent. More amazing is the iceman had a copper part on the axe which had been cast and smoothed, a copper bead and iron blade, showing remarkable level of sophistication and trade. The iceman also had a bow/arrow and fully clothed in furs, leathers and grasses. I'm sure there's much to be discovered of these people. I think they've found other remains from that era too.
edit on 15-7-2015 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 04:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: jonnywhite
Thanks for this. Ever since I read about the iceman found in british columbia, someone from 5000 years ago (!), I was convinced there's a lot of history around here. History, at least for me, was always centered elsewhere, not on the north american continent. More amazing is the iceman had a copper part on the axe which had been cast and smoothed, a copper bead and iron blade, showing remarkable level of sophistication and trade. The iceman also had a bow/arrow and fully clothed in furs, leathers and grasses. I'm sure there's much to be discovered of these people. I think they've found other remains from that era too.

I never heard of the iceman found in British Columbia.
I did hear of a very similar one found on the border between Austria and Italy though.

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 06:44 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Link to the Austrian Iceman Wikipedia page.

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Ancient Ananuki Barduk after obtaning supremacy on Earth dwelt in his city Babili and Enki with Enlil continued extracting gold in the Americas to later return to their home planet leaving behind structures of this kind...

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 04:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Manso

Don't be a fool. Try picking up a book sometime.

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 04:34 PM
link   
At the least they taught our ancestors how to build with clay and many other important arts...

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Please enlighten me in regards to the similarities in the stonecutting and constructions of megastructures in the form of pyramids in Egypt and South America...there story's similarities as to how they came about...and the the undeniable countenance of The Holy Scriptures and The Book of Enki. At the least after reading the Book of Enki explain how someone from more than 2000 years ago can even imagine these crafts and devices? Please keep in mind the Tablets are older...

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 04:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Manso
At the least they taught our ancestors how to build with clay and many other important arts...

Didn't need "teaching".

Why do people seem to think that our civilization couldn't come about without being taught how to do simple things?

I can only assume people come to these bizarre conclusions because they lack education about the time frame we're actually talking about here, or they believe our species in somehow incapable.

If that's the case, if we needed "teaching", how did we ever survive long enough to encounter these "teachers" to begin with?

One thing leads on from another, it's called evolution.

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 04:51 PM
link   

This thread isn't about the ignorant nonsense you keep bringing up. If you want to discuss such things, feel free to start a thread of your own.

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Pretty simple when you consider that The Book of Enki is unscientific rubbish (fiction) with about as much credibility as $cientology.

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Was this genocide something that came about due to confrontation on behalf of "natives"? or was this something preordained to wipe out any conclusive evidence of the real intent bt those responsible for that premeditated horror ?

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 05:10 PM
link   

What genocide? Do you even know what thread you're in?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join