It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Be the Hero

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Life presents us with a variety of challenges. Reality confronts us with a plethora of obstacles.

We never get to choose all the situations that confront us on a daily basis. But we always have the opportunity to decide how we react.

Buddhists say that free will exists in the window of space between stimulus and reaction. For only in that period of time can we truly evaluate the encounter and choose how we should respond.

For those who operate on instinct alone, that window is small--and their potential for free will is slight. Most often they simply regurgitate whatever automatic response happens be encoded in the neural network of their brain.

Most people go through life like this--responding in unthinking fashion unto whatever situations reality happens to present. Reacting on instinct alone they subside without free will, and become subservient unto that quantum supercomputer between their ears.

People often mistakenly embrace sayings like "be yourself" and "I can only be me." But living your life according to these trite memes couldn't be more wrong.

By attempting to only "be yourself," you surrender unto instinct. And you slam closed that window of opportunity before you have the opportunity to really analyze a situation and choose a behavior.

By believing "I can only be me," you abandon the omnipresent truth that with enough concerted energy and intention, you can become whoever you want.

Life is a play, a performance, an act that unfolds over the course of a century. All throughout that time your thoughts, intentions, and actions mold your brain into new forms.

And within that span you can remold yourself into anything you want. So starting right now, try this: Upon awakening and before falling asleep, upon encountering scenarios and before reacting to situations, make a resolution concerted: Choose to be the hero.

React to everything how a hero would respond. Override your natural impulses to be shy, or rude, or aggressive, or any other undesirable traits. Tell that voice in your head to shut up--then do what a hero would do.

Commit good deeds, do the right thing, give a genuine complement. Go out and help someone in need.

Your life is your play--and you subside in the starring role. Remember that always.

Don't simply go through life "being yourself."

Be the hero, instead. And with each good deed under your belt, see your world getting better--and feel your spirit getting bright.

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 06:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Trachel

Great post.
People who don't believe in free will maybe have never changed themselves.
I picked out who I am. I wasn't this guy before. Now it's my instinct to be this guy. It IS ME.

On to the next step. Whatever I choose.

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 06:24 PM
link   

We never get to choose all the situations that confront us on a daily basis. But we always have the opportunity to decide how we react.

Buddhists say that free will exists in the window of space between stimulus and reaction. For only in that period of time can we truly evaluate the encounter and choose how we should respond.

Two thirds of our waking existence is attributed to sleep. The only freewill we posses during our waking hours is the freedom to "Respond or React" to what we already set in motion via our perceptions, emotions and thoughts in the days, weeks, months and years prior. To take a time out during our busy day with a conscious attitude (bring our awareness within the present), we can calibrate or redirect our predetermined course bit by bit.

The window of space between stimulus and reaction is found within the realm of imagination. It is there we can truly evaluate the encounter and choose how we should respond. Then we allow reality to reflect our state of being through the construct of time and space.

Perhaps the reflecting pool of Bethesda was an allegory for this inner working and relationship between mind and matter that mirrors the Buddhist esoteric insight?

I will contemplate the rest of your wonderful post.

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Who is the Hero?
You can't be yourself unless you know the self.
Is your self the trans-personal self or the Egoistic self?
Only the egoistic self is concerned with being heroic.
Right action produces right result.
Life is learning what is right and how to be in the light of what is right.
a reply to: Trachel

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 06:49 PM
link   
a reply to: starswift

an ego hero tries to fight the world.
a god hero changes himself and watches the world change around him.

The heroes journey is about growing yourself. It's not about saving the world.
My heroes journeys consist of going outside my norms, an adventure in the mind, or in action in the world.. I learn, and then come back to my start place having changed.

You are one of those the ego is evil types. Ego is living.
your ego tells you to eat food.
My ego is used to write these words to you from my perspective as being not you.

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 09:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Involutionist

This idea of reaction and response may sound trite. It may sound cliche. It may sound totally unimportant. But I agree that right there, somewhere in between those two, there rests the key. Free will. I found this little gem myself when I was young. Not that it changed my life, but rather allowed me to change it, and in it I found myself, right there when I realized I could.

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Though I must admit, everytime my cursor slips off the scroll button as I scan down a thread and hits on the Deny Ignorance link and it pops up on my screen and my eyes go cross eyed and my brain freezes for a moment and I want to shout aposrgl mkcsa;roigaxlva;lskh;lakj, I take a breath, click it off, go back to the thread and get on with life. Ah me.

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Ego evil types, have to meditate on that for a bit, to bring out the flavor.
"Let go of all true teachings, including all not true teachings: Buddha"
a reply to: Reverbs

edit on 15-7-2015 by starswift because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Dam you Disney and Pixar...Dam you.
edit on 15-7-2015 by Specimen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 12:04 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

This idea of reaction and response may sound trite. It may sound cliche. It may sound totally unimportant. But I agree that right there, somewhere in between those two, there rests the key. Free will. I found this little gem myself when I was young. Not that it changed my life, but rather allowed me to change it, and in it I found myself, right there when I realized I could.

+

Though I must admit, everytime my cursor slips off the scroll button as I scan down a thread and hits on the Deny Ignorance link and it pops up on my screen and my eyes go cross eyed and my brain freezes for a moment and I want to shout aposrgl mkcsa;roigaxlva;lskh;lakj, I take a breath, click it off, go back to the thread and get on with life. Ah me.

You are a responsible person. You allowed your presence of mind to arise by taking a breath (responding) instead allowing your initial feelings of frustration to dictate your thoughts (reaction).

True responsibility is to possess the ability to respond. To be responsible requires the ability to observe our reactions to situations in life.

Is one "reacting" or "responding" to situations?

If one is reacting to a situation; the situation is then controlling them. But if one is responding to the event; then it is their commitment that is guiding them. For instance, if someone berates you and you impulsively react, then the situation is controlling you, but if one pauses and observes their own behaviour; or silently questions whether they should remain quiet; or ignore the other person; or answer them back - then, and only then, does one bring their presence, their conscious awareness, to the table

True RESPONSibilty is our ability to respond consciously instead of reacting unconsciously.

Most of our days are spent on autopilot, and the subconscious (weaver of synchronicity by way of objective experiences) is always listening, no matter if it is real or imaginary, to what our subjective mind is constantly dictating (often preconditioned beliefs) and therefore delivers and/or reflects experiences accordingly.

Here is just one example on how to exercise freewill for those who have the eyes to see and ears to hear:

“Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.” ― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Not that it changed my life, but rather allowed me to change it, and in it I found myself, right there when I realized I could.

Welcome home, my friend. That was beautiful.
edit on 16-7-2015 by Involutionist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 02:12 PM
link   

How simply you post the connection between responsibility and response. Nice. Thanks

top topics

join