It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Enhanced Color Pluto Image Released!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+12 more 
posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 02:18 PM
link   
All I can say is WOW! Wonderful diversity displayed in this Enhanced Color image from NASA/New Horizons team. What do you guys think? More coming tomorrow morning.

Here's some of the press release that went along with it.

New Horizons has obtained impressive new images of Pluto and its large moon Charon that highlight their compositional diversity. These are not actual color images of Pluto and Charon—they are shown here in exaggerated colors that make it easy to note the differences in surface material and features on each planetary body.

The images were obtained using three of the color filters of the “Ralph” instrument on July 13 at 3:38 am EDT. New Horizons has seven science instruments on board the spacecraft—including “Ralph” and “Alice”, whose names are a throwback to the “Honeymooners,” a popular 1950s sitcom.

“These images show that Pluto and Charon are truly complex worlds. There's a whole lot going on here,” said New Horizons co-investigator Will Grundy, Lowell Observatory, Flagstaff, Arizona. “Our surface composition team is working as fast as we can to identify the substances in different regions on Pluto and unravel the processes that put them where they are.”

The color data helps scientists understand the molecular make-up of ices on the surfaces of Pluto and Charon, as well as the age of geologic features such as craters. They can also tell us about surface changes caused by space “weather,” such as radiation.

The new color images reveal that the “heart” of Pluto actually consists of two remarkably different-colored regions. In the false-color image, the heart consists of a western lobe shaped like an ice cream cone that appears peach color in this image. A mottled area on the right (east) side looks bluish. A mid-latitude band appears in shades ranging from pale blue through red. Even within the northern polar cap, in the upper part of the image, various shades of yellow-orange indicate subtle compositional differences. This image was obtained using three of the color filters of the Ralph instrument on July 13 at 3:38 am EDT and received on the ground on at 12:25 pm.

Link
edit on 14-7-2015 by robbystarbuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Wow,

amazing, no longer does Pluto look like a grey blob,

this is awesome, can't wait for the pictures that are coming!

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 02:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Phatdamage

Very excited for all of the goodies coming to us soon!

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Even within the northern polar cap, in the upper part of the image, various shades of yellow-orange indicate subtle compositional differences.

Any indications what these "subtle compositional differences" are comprised of? Besides color shading I mean…

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Awesome pics.

Can't wait for the "is that a pyramid?" crowd

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 02:32 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

A few investigators have quipped unofficially that the top right side of the "Heart" feature has some kind of flow... Flow of what I have no idea. The left side of heart is a bit more like packed ice (also unofficial right now). Also some rumbling about Tholins affecting parts of Charon and Pluto.

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 02:33 PM
link   
a reply to: mikeone718

Well... Is it? Haha. They'll be delighted to know the photos coming each day have higher resolution.

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 02:40 PM
link   
a reply to: robbystarbuck

Hey Buddy, Can We Get a Working Link Please?

Thanks for the Fix!
edit on th49Tue, 14 Jul 2015 14:49:18 -0500K201571831pm7 by SirKonstantin because: Link fixed when asked. Had to say thanks!

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 02:42 PM
link   

These are not actual color images of Pluto and Charon—they are shown here in exaggerated colors that make it easy to note the differences in surface material and features on each planetary body.

Just wondering about the composition of materials. We'll be the last to know.

Whats sure is that its far away, cold and pock marked, a dirty snowball. Like a comet on steroids.

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 02:43 PM
link   
a reply to: SirKonstantin

Fixed. go look at op again.

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 03:26 PM
link   
When I look at the ice cream cone shape, on the big black and white pic of Pluto, I get the impression of a major impact, but not a frontal one, more like heavy brushing of Pluto with whatever. Maybe it was it's big moon, Charon, then allowing it to start orbiting Pluto.

And from the pics, Pluto looks like a planet to me... lol

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 03:33 PM
link   
The planets are some of the most beautiful things I have ever seen.

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 03:35 PM
link   
a reply to: ugmold

agreed!

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Who do we need to bribe to get Pluto reinstated to planethood? I'll donate.

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 06:05 PM
link   
The last time a spectrograph was made of Pluto, it detected frozen gases like Methane and Carbon Monoxide (the heart shaped bit).

www.space.com...

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Just to let folks on this thread know, the ship has contacted Earth after its period of silence and is fine.

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 05:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Aleister

Yeah its fine, but....

It really is heart breaking!

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 05:55 AM
link   

Wow, now if only they could fake a 'good' photo of Pluto like the one of the Moon Landing by some Astronaut who apparently go there before they did! Now that would impress me.

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 02:31 PM
link   
A quick screengrab from the press conference just now

It's towards the southern limb at the edge of the area they are naming after its discoverer.

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 05:21 AM
link   
Beautiful!
wait I think I can see some thing?
its a rock!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join