It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Men may feel more threatened by female bosses, research finds

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 12:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: JadeStar

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: JadeStar

I've had a female boss before and I have no problem taking orders from a woman.

In so many ways you are an extremely open and exceptional fellow though.

Hey, at the end of the day, we are all there to do our job, get paid, and go home to our families. You respect me as a worker and I'll respect you as a boss. Your gender means little to me on if I want to listen to your orders or not. However if you are a micromanaging asshole (regardless of gender), I won't be so open to singing your praises.

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 12:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Threatened? No. I do work better under a male supervisor/boss though. This is a broad generalization gleaned from years of work experience -- but typically male bosses are more even-keeled and their expectations are more clear. You can generally depend on them to be more stable and consistent from day-to-day.

I worked with around 30 menopausal women for years as the only male (younger) and it was a living nightmare. The catfights, the backstabbing, the drama really wore on me. I just want to go to my job, do it, and go home. I'm not there to make friends, enemies or discuss my personal life. If I happen to make a friend, that's great. If I don't make any friends -- that's OK too.

I've had a fantastic female boss once...best boss I actually ever have had. She was hard working, clear, professional, fun and we're still friends years later.

I just know that when I have worked under women, I generally never know what to expect in the morning. Her kid may be sick, her dog might have died, her show may have ended, her dinner got ruined -- whatever it may be could have upset her. In my personal experience women seem to drag more of their personal lives into the workplace.

I would have to amp up my "feelers" to get a read on my female bosses first thing in the morning to get a sense of how the day was going to go. I've never had to do this with male bosses. Is it healthy for men to bottle up emotions? No, absolutely not! But, in a workplace environment, it's best to deal with those emotions outside of the office. Your personal life shouldn't become my personal life.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

Yes...this...x1000. It isn't absolute, but when is anything. I just notice in my own experience that this seems to be true. Also there have been 2 replies from mystic that I felt were the most explanitory and for me at least aligned with how I feel on the subject. What I find really telling is how the OP and the other women in this thread have ignored those replies to continue the conversation between themselves as if no one wants to try and touch those posts. This seems more like an I'm right and you men need to agree or be wrong type of thread. You guys have fun with this one...

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 12:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScientificRailgun

I hate Jezebel with every fiber of my being. Third wave feminism sickens me. Doing articles on "stare rape" and "manspreading".

There are REAL issues to tackle, such as the aforementioned pay gap, how we're unfairly given bias in family court, etc.

I could care less if some guy is mentally undressing me. I do it to hot guys all the time. Big freakin' whoop.

I digress, that's my rant on Jezebel.

Oh, i have seen good articles there and bad ones. I try not to paint with a broad brush. Anyone can embed a video on a blog or site so I wouldn't dismiss it because it was on Jezebel.

Men are feeling threatened by the female becoming an actual force in the working world. This is especially true when a woman is promoted rather then men who applied for the same promotion. Rather than self-reflecting on why they weren't chosen, the lay the blame on something they can't control as a coping mechanism.

So like, how do I or any of us help make them feel more secure and comfortable?

link   
My boss is a woman, and a few years younger than me. Doesn't bother me.

link   

originally posted by: nwtrucker

Men ARE more threatened by female bosses.

Nasty creatures....

Women are soft and curvy and they smell good, but they are evil and they scare me.

Just like vampires or clowns.

link   

I've had a female boss before and I have no problem taking orders from a woman.

In so many ways you are an extremely open and exceptional fellow though.

Hey, at the end of the day, we are all there to do our job, get paid, and go home to our families. You respect me as a worker and I'll respect you as a boss. Your gender means little to me on if I want to listen to your orders or not. However if you are a micromanaging asshole (regardless of gender), I won't be so open to singing your praises.

Agreed x1000

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 12:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: RickyD
Yes...this...x1000. It isn't absolute, but when is anything. I just notice in my own experience that this seems to be true. Also there have been 2 replies from mystic that I felt were the most explanitory and for me at least aligned with how I feel on the subject. What I find really telling is how the OP and the other women in this thread have ignored those replies to continue the conversation between themselves as if no one wants to try and touch those posts. This seems more like an I'm right and you men need to agree or be wrong type of thread. You guys have fun with this one...

I'm sorry i didn't not mean to ignore you. I just was waiting for other women on this thread to respond to those posts because they are older than me and have had more experiences in the workplace.

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 12:53 PM
link   

I didn't even think of the race issue to be honest and i only thought of gender because some of the other women thought that was probably the issue when we talked candidly about it in private.

You screwed up here.

Discussing employee/manager issues (one to one) with other employee's is a recipe for dissent and disaster.

Learn and move on.

i asked them and some of the guys who had no problems if they thought i was doing anything vastly different than our former boss and they told me no and in some ways i was more organized and that helped them do their job better.

The only persons you needed to ask are the persons that are causing issue. Act based on their responses, not on what others have to say about it.

Ok, but for how long?

As long as you allow it. You are their manager, are you not?

It is my view that we all should be striving to eliminate such inequality and unfairness.

Might as well try to make snow on the sun. There are things that you will be able to change and control, and there are things that you will not be able to change or control. Don't waste time on things you can not control.

If you have a person that is not going to play by your office rules, and not going to fit with your team, don't waste time trying to change them. Remove them and search for some on that fits.

Effective teams more than make up for the lost time in creating said effective teams.

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 12:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: RickyD

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Threatened? No. I do work better under a male supervisor/boss though. This is a broad generalization gleaned from years of work experience -- but typically male bosses are more even-keeled and their expectations are more clear. You can generally depend on them to be more stable and consistent from day-to-day.

I worked with around 30 menopausal women for years as the only male (younger) and it was a living nightmare. The catfights, the backstabbing, the drama really wore on me. I just want to go to my job, do it, and go home. I'm not there to make friends, enemies or discuss my personal life. If I happen to make a friend, that's great. If I don't make any friends -- that's OK too.

I've had a fantastic female boss once...best boss I actually ever have had. She was hard working, clear, professional, fun and we're still friends years later.

I just know that when I have worked under women, I generally never know what to expect in the morning. Her kid may be sick, her dog might have died, her show may have ended, her dinner got ruined -- whatever it may be could have upset her. In my personal experience women seem to drag more of their personal lives into the workplace.

I would have to amp up my "feelers" to get a read on my female bosses first thing in the morning to get a sense of how the day was going to go. I've never had to do this with male bosses. Is it healthy for men to bottle up emotions? No, absolutely not! But, in a workplace environment, it's best to deal with those emotions outside of the office. Your personal life shouldn't become my personal life.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

If this were a feminist hugbox thread I'd think we'd be shooting DOWN your posts rather simply discussing around them. Mystic has a good point. Even among my female peers they tend be gossipy, chatty, and bring a lot of their personal life into work. Yeah, sometimes we tend to lend personal crap affect us on the job. Men are just as guilty of this, though. Men have "Boys clubs" in most workplaces where they talk amongst themselves about which female employee is doing "favors" for the boss or some crap. This is especially true in office environments. Rampant in blue-collar work.

So while Mystic has a point, he also failed to look at the other side of the coin. Yes, men may not bring personal life into their work as often, but they're just guilty as being gossipy garys.

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 12:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: interupt42
a reply to: NavyDoc

LOL, Even in the prophetic documentary called Idiocracy Money ruled.

As long as societies prioritization are based on money , money will make things fair for you. The more money the more fair things become for you.

I doubt Oprah and I in todays world have the same level of fair treatment.

True. I've had female bosses before and I didn't notice much of a difference--probably because everybody was just too damned busy working.

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 12:57 PM
link   

I could care less if some guy is mentally undressing me. I do it to hot guys all the time.

I feel so violated.

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 12:57 PM
link   

I hate Jezebel with every fiber of my being. Third wave feminism sickens me. Doing articles on "stare rape" and "manspreading".

There are REAL issues to tackle, such as the aforementioned pay gap, how we're unfairly given bias in family court, etc.

I could care less if some guy is mentally undressing me. I do it to hot guys all the time. Big freakin' whoop.

I digress, that's my rant on Jezebel.

Oh, i have seen good articles there and bad ones. I try not to paint with a broad brush. Anyone can embed a video on a blog or site so I wouldn't dismiss it because it was on Jezebel.

Men are feeling threatened by the female becoming an actual force in the working world. This is especially true when a woman is promoted rather then men who applied for the same promotion. Rather than self-reflecting on why they weren't chosen, the lay the blame on something they can't control as a coping mechanism.

So like, how do I or any of us help make them feel more secure and comfortable? [Emphasis by Railgun]

Truthfully, that's almost impossible. Any attempt at allaying their fear or discomfort would likely come off as patronizing and trite, especially if you're in a position above them. The best way to combat it is to lead by example. SHOW them you're not something to be threatened by, but also that you're not to be trifled with. It's a difficult balance to strike, and I haven't quite found the magic formula yet.

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 12:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

I could care less if some guy is mentally undressing me. I do it to hot guys all the time.

I feel so violated.
You haven't even BEGUN to feel violated.

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 01:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

originally posted by: nwtrucker

Men ARE more threatened by female bosses.

Nasty creatures....

Women are soft and curvy and they smell good, but they are evil and they scare me.

Just like vampires or clowns.

At least you didn't say the word "cooties".

link   
a reply to: ScientificRailgun

*Achieves desired response*

Giggity.

link   

I didn't even think of the race issue to be honest and i only thought of gender because some of the other women thought that was probably the issue when we talked candidly about it in private.

Its not illogical to look at differences to figure out what is wrong, so its not surprising that gender and other differences come up under such circumstances.

However, In todays day and age society is getting lazy and only looking at those type of differences as the cause for everything and fail to further analyse to get to what might be the real issue.

I'm not suggesting that is what you have done and I made the statement as a general statement.

Well i'm not blaming "the white guy" here. FWIW one of the guys who constantly is questioning me and my decisions is african-american/black.

Sorry didn't mean to suggest that you did, Again, I was making a general comment and provide other example where this type of things occurs.

BTW ,maybe it has nothing todo with your gender maybe he feels that you got the job over him because you are not African American? Of course that is assuming the former boss and yourself aren't African Americans? Note I'm Not suggesting that is the case , but its another possibility without really knowing much of the details and playing devils advocate.

Maybe its even age related, jealousy .............

So now you're the one playing the victim card....

Not at all.

Having been born in another country run by a dictatorship I always known that life was not fair and it was up to me if I got around the hurdles thrown at me or if I let the hurdles block me in.

It is my view that we all should be striving to eliminate such inequality and unfairness.

I absolutely agree. I'm just not so sure race and gender is really the prominent issue that is made out to look.

I see far more inequality and unfairness between those that have money and those that don't, regardless of sex or race.

Heck I think looks actually have more of an impact than gender or race in todays world , when it comes to certain jobs without the requirement of advance degrees or particular technical skill sets.

LOL, I have worked for some big Corp where the sales department looked like a super model convention.
edit on 46731America/ChicagoTue, 14 Jul 2015 13:46:43 -0500000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 01:02 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

She said ''hot guys''.

Kidding, I comment not on your level of ''hotness''.

Though could you imagine a world where men are constantly parading around in their undergarments suggestively everywhere you look?

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 01:03 PM
link   
What if one enjoys being threatened by females?

wheres that research?

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 01:06 PM
link   
I have a female boss looking over my shoulder as we speak....

I'm married

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 01:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: theabsolutetruth
She said ''hot guys''.

Kidding, I comment not on your level of ''hotness''.

Probably a smart move considering Railgun's yandere tendencies.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join