It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Uk fox hunting "review" postponed until Tory's have a chance to push it through.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 09:35 AM
link   
This really is a sad state of affairs, in a nutshell there should have been a vote tommorow to loosen the laws of fox hunting in England.

Most people in the UK are against this including most Labour MP's and a fair few Conservatives as well.

The SNP has now said that they will vote against the changes which in effect means that the proposal will fail.

Instead of seeing this as the elected MP's voting for there constituants the Tory government has decided to postpone the vote until proposed EVEL plan comes into action meaning the SNP will not be allowed to vote on this and theres a good chance there fox hunting chums will get there way regardless of public opinion.

This is a very weak thing to do in my opinion, the SNP had said that they would not vote against it as it did not affect Scotland directly but have decided to make a stand on this.

Regardless of weather this is a political show of force or a moral stance by the SNP I find it shocking that the elected govenment would make such a decision.

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Well, this is the problem. Scottish MPs should not be able to vote on English matters where English MPs cannot reciprocally vote on Scottish matters.

The subject matter is irrelevant.

Fox hunting is a devolved issue, so Scottish MPs have no say. Even without Scottish MPs there is no guarantee that the changes to fox hunting would be passed.

The SNP has said that fox hunting is being reviewed in Scotland. Will they allow the English (and Welsh and Irish) MPs to vote at Holyrood? No, of course not.

BTW this is not a repeal of the Hunting Bill, so hounds will still not be able to chase the fox down.

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 09:47 AM
link   
I bet they feel like real men when 30 of them with 30 rabid dogs surround a Fox pup to slaughter...

What giant cajones they have.

How elite they are... & let us bask in their glorious light if we are worthy enough of such a proposal...

I'd love to spit in the faces of all who came together to vote for this.

A real big phlegmy spit.

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 09:49 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

It is not devolved in England so SNP votes will count.

I'm not saying I am for that as such but given that around 75% of the ENGLISH population are against any revisions to the current law I feel it sickening that the Tory's are cancelling last minuite and waiting for a better opertuninty to push through something that is against public opinion.

It is a weak and dirty tactic and should not go unspoken in my opinion.

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Im proud to say the Conservative MP i voted for is leading the small band of torys who oppose this.
She has said she will vote against any loseing of the ban.

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 03:00 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

When did Politicians ever play by the rules ?

When did Politicians ever do anything that wasn't in certain peoples self interest?

When did Politicians become honest ?

I have started the list, you can probably add to it.

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Whilst I agree that Scottish MPs should not have a say in non-Scottish laws, so long as there is no knock on effect that will have some influence on Scotland, and vice versa, I think the SNP were flexing their voting powers, which ultimately showed the Tories up for the sneaky underhanded cowards that they are, as a way of almost protest because of the way the Tories have retained the power of veto with the Scotland bill. article

Not to mention the extremely unfair fact that Scotland is the only country in the UK losing money to the tax man for its emergency services. article
The Tories deserve no less of a thorn in their side.

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 05:53 AM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

To be fair to the Tories here, this is a case of SNP spite as the proposed legislation actually already has a similar (but watered down) version that is already legal in Scotland. So the SNP are basically voting it down just because it is a Tory proposal (a case of "do as i say, not as i do").

As to the legislation itself, not sure where i stand. I grew up in a very rural area and foxes where a big problem. In that sense, i have always supported hunting foxes. That said, i have never favoured hounds chasing down and ripping apart foxes - they are a pest and should be treeated as such, rather than as a sport. But shooting foxes? No problem whatsoever.

top topics

join