It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Persistance of Legend: Do we need Bigfoot?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 06:26 PM
link   
This article from Science Daily is a review of a book about Bigfoot:
www.sciencedaily.com...

The author's main argument is that some people continue to believe in Bigfoot because the hairy monster reminds them of humanity's own wild side:

�People express a reverence for the grandeur of the animal and derive meaning from Bigfoot because it represents where we came from,� said UF anthropologist David Daegling. �I think Bigfoot depicts the wild and uncultured side of who we are, a side we are both attracted to and repulsed by.�

[edit on 27-12-2004 by onlyinmydreams]

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 06:39 AM
link   
I think it goes more along the lines of " our continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before."

Yea...all in the name of Science and Knowledge.

Either way, the article was pointless. It's one writers not-so credible opinion with and nothing more.

EDIT : : In my weary eyed stuper, I relized it was a excerpt from a book and not an article. The time spent researching and writing that would have been much better spent proving/debunking the myth than telling just telling me how I should think.

[edit on 8-1-2005 by Disciple]

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I was driving down the highway one night and actually saw a bigfoot. It will take a heck of allot more than someone telling me they don't exist for me to believe they don't exist, especially after i've seen one with my own eyes.

Love and light,

Wupy

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrwupy
I was driving down the highway one night and actually saw a bigfoot.

We got our own Bigfoot, "The Bogey Creek Monster" but that is south of us. I live just south of you, outside the thriving Metropolis of Van Buren

And BTW I have seen some hillbillies that could be mistaken for Bigfoot

[edit on 8-1-2005 by Amuk]

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Up in canada, bigfoot's everywhere. Whuy just yesterday I saw one dressed in rags haggling people for cash. And the day before I saw another talking to some birds. And last week I saw one driving a pick up truck. Or were those just tourists?

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Eh, may make sense for some people, but I really don't like how it's applied to anyone who beleives in Bigfoot. There are just as many people who believe just as fanciful creatures (Nessie, Jersey Devil, Chuipacabras), and this logic doesn't really apply to them.

People like a mystery. Hell, deep down, I think most of us know there's about a snowball's chance in heck of any of this stuff being real. But it's the searching and the possibility that makes it fun.

new topics

top topics

join