It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tu-95 'bear' Bomber crashes in russia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 03:23 AM
link   
So this popped up on rt news this morning. Apparently a training mission involving a Tu-95 'bear' bomber crashed in Russia while on a routine training mission. Rt news says it wasn't carrying any munitions. All the crew ejected safetly according to the report (didn't know they had ejector seats)

I recall seeing a thread about the state of Russia aircraft and the lack of maintenance checks being done. Maybe this is a reason for its crash. Thought I'd post it

Source: rt.com...

Image here for people that don't know what the Bear looks like

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 04:12 AM
link   
a reply to: ThePeaceMaker

They are all falling with enough use...

US navy F/A 18 hornets crash in Pacific Ocean
www.navy.mil...

B1 bomber of US airforce crashes in Montana
investmentwatchblog.com...

US B-2 stealth bomber crashing

edit on 14-7-2015 by LostAndFound2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 04:17 AM
link   
I think I'll just wait for Zaphod to comment as he seems to the be ATS resident guru on anything aviation related. After that I will have learned something and have a better idea of the situation.

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 04:56 AM
link   
a reply to: LostAndFound2

Those crashes aren't even comparable. This makes six aircraft that Russia has lost in a little over a month. That's a evidence of a serious problem in the Russian air force.

According to sources it appears a fuel valve failed, starving all four engines of fuel.

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Cool , one less to send over here to harass our air force and probe our defenses.
Glad there were no casualties though.

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 06:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Thanks for the added input. When I was reading it didn't state what had caused the crash

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 06:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

Cool , one less to send over here to harass our air force and probe our defenses.
Glad there were no casualties though.

Ha I thought the same thing, that's one bear down soon we might not have to worry about the Bears harassing our Air Force there will be none left. But yes also glad no one was injured or killed as I said in my opening post I didn't realise they had ejector seats

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 08:12 AM
link   
according to this source
www.airvectors.net...

the plane does NOT have ejection seats
"In maturity, the Tu-95 handled well, was very sturdy, and relatively straightforward to maintain; it would have an enviably low accident rate. There were misgivings over the lack of ejection seats, and the associated dangerous inconvenience of bailing out of the aircraft..."

I've never heard of a heavy bomber that did have ejection capability (maybe the pilot/copilot).

this source in.rbth.com...

says no eject seats, but there is an escape hatch, so maybe the crew parachuted to safety.

"There are no ejection seats on the Tu-95; in case of emergency the crew leave the aircraft through an escape hatch in the nosewheel bay. The flight engineer starts a conveyor belt on the flight deck floor; the pilots, navigators and engineers use this to get to the hatch. The tail gunner leaves the airplane through a separate aft hatch."

well, good. don't even want russkies to die in peacetime.
edit on 14-7-2015 by works4dhs because: add useful linque / info

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 08:23 AM
link   
According to TASS:

The flight control head ordered the crew of a Tu-95MS strategic bomber to leave the plane by parachutes due to an onboard emergency situation.

TASS
edit on 7142015 by BobbyRock because: forgot source

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 08:30 AM
link   
American heavy bombers have ejection capabilities.

Funny it took all of 1 post to get but America.

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 09:47 AM
link   
It's raining bears lately,
It proves my basic rules of life,

Don't dance with bears
And

Don't fly in Russian aircraft

And
Don't dance with Russian bears

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 09:56 AM
link   
a reply to: punkinworks10
It appears as though two crew members didn't get out.

Moscow (AFP) - Two pilots were killed when a strategic bomber with seven people on board crashed in far eastern Russia on Tuesday, the defence ministry said, the latest in a string of military aircraft accidents.

www.yahoo.com...

edit on 14-7-2015 by punkinworks10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Thanks everyone for your replies ive been at work so havent been able to keep up to date on this story. Wow fancy flying around in such an old aircraft and no ejector seats almost like being back in world war 2 parachuting out of bombers.

Sad news about the 2 who didn't make it RIP guys.

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 04:54 PM
link   
a reply to: works4dhs

The B-52, B-1, and B-2 all have ejection seats for all the crew. When the B-52 carried crew on the lower deck their seats went downward, so they had to have enough altitude for them to eject.

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 05:44 PM
link   
British V-bombers infamously initiall had ejection seats for the pilots but not the other crew - they were later modified into Vulcans - eg see this pprune thread - in at least some crashes the pilots survived while the rest of the crew did not - I don't know specifically if this was due to the configuration, but a proposal for all crew to have ejection seats was canned in 1960, and one such crash (2 survive, rest killed) occurred as late as 1975!

new topics

top topics

join