It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Super-Cool Graph: Evolution of Myth & Religion!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 08:49 PM
link   
I stumbled upon this fascinating compilation while researching Greek God lineage, and I thought I should share it with you fine folks!

The Graph depicts the decent of the various religions, myths and world views we see in modern times. There's a disclaimer at the bottom right (which I will quote, just in case someone doesn't see it)

Please Note; Due to the vague nature of mythology, the origins to many of these faiths are estimates only and should not be counted as fact. This chart can only offer an approximation to the founding dates of ancient religion.

With that being said, take the graph lightly, and admire how our concepts of the world have evolved.

Enjoy!
(To view the image in full scale, right click the image and click "VIEW IMAGE" or "Open Image In Another Window", that will bring you to the direct link of the image uploaded on ATS, there you can click on it to zoom in)

Or click here
edit on 13/7/15 by Ghost147 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Did you notice the scientific method in there...

That's the only time I'll ever believe in evolution.

Oh, that works two ways...
Teehee.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Oh, I see what you did there!

The evolution of religion (synonymous with "myth", apparently)!

Ha! That's good stuff right there! I would've been up all night trying to think of that.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 09:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Ghost147

Fine as it goes, let's see one on the UFO mythology and where it is going. Please check the new thread on Greer and my post of a minute ago as it may provide some insight for a personal concept of how myths and religions grow and diminish. Keep in mind that with the UFO, the myth is just getting off the ground and will become a pseudo-religion soon and eventually blossom into being a concrete religion with overwhelming substance eventually as we learn the truth about the ETs of the UFOs and how they even now interject themselves into our lives.

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 13-7-2015 by Aliensun because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Thank you for that.

I might add that some have argued that Judaic monotheism is sharply opposed to Canaanite monotheism and not a development of it. It is closer linked to Zoroastrianism (IMHO) than Canaanite beliefs.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 09:47 PM
link   

How about a link for the click less out there.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Actually much easier than that. Nimrod re-established the the Mystery Region (Watcher Fallen Angels who set themselves up as Gods) which was spread throughout the world when the languages were confused and everyone spread out from Babylon.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 09:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

How about a link for the click less out there.

Added the link for you

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 10:02 PM
link   

That is kind of cool to see the roots of each religion.

This is a thread worth referring to in future debates.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Ahhh,,, cool. One conclusion can be drawn, the world got screwed up when Judaism started. Look at the center top of the graph stemming from Judaism, its chaos.

Then look at the Middle East today… its chaos.

Also interesting to note that Ufology and Scientology (upper right) just appear, stemming from nothing.

Giving this a hard look, does everyone like this?

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 10:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: grimpachi

That is kind of cool to see the roots of each religion.

This is a thread worth referring to in future debates.

Indeed!

Debates such as: Which religion has the most badass symbol?

Tengrism and Sufism have some interesting visuals

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 10:29 PM
link   
They always assume it all started with Africa. I say start with Turkey, then to Babel, then from Babel, an explosive mutation and expansion to Caanan, Egypt, and Lebanon.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 10:56 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

It's really excellent and full of information. There are specifics it doesn't capture in every case or that may be debatable, but it is an absolutely awesome assemblage of the world's mythologies. It is a valuable reference.

Scientology can be argued to be partly an outgrowth of theosophy, Aliestar Crowley, and other Western occult traditions. I do not know how much "under the hood" these things are in Scientology as I never studied it, but I do know Hubbard hung in those circles, and the idea of mythologizing your own "new" religion was thick in some of those spheres.

I also feel Zoroastrianism should have a straight line into Islam, especially if you read Shia Muslim Persian literature, the influence is there. Sufism should have lines from Buddhism and Hinduism as well (the influence depended on the region.) Both Islam and Sufism should have lines from Hellenism and Gnosticism as well. That's what I always enjoyed about the Islamic and Sufi intellectual traditions, if you know your Buddhism, Hinduism, Gnosticism, Hellenism, Christianism, Judaism, and some Persian ancient monotheism you find aspects of it all in Islamic thought as Muslims absorbed parts of all those cultures and philosophies.

Great graph again.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Now this is fun. I've never seen it visually represented in one shot like this. Super cool, thanks for posting it!

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Wow, you are right, that is a very interesting graph!

Just in looking it over I learned a new word to a very old concept termed "Animism".

Animism (from Latin anima, "breath, spirit, life")is the worldview that non-human entities—such as animals, plants, and inanimate objects—possess a spiritual essence

en.wikipedia.org...
I certainly hold this view, and it is interesting to see on the graph following backwards how far back it goes.
Perhaps it is genetic.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 11:49 PM
link   
My religion came from the same time as Christianity did. Mine just went in another direction. So, just as good.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 11:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker

Actually much easier than that. Nimrod re-established the the Mystery Region (Watcher Fallen Angels who set themselves up as Gods) which was spread throughout the world when the languages were confused and everyone spread out from Babylon.

NO. What even IS this weird thing?
edit on 14-7-2015 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 12:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: AudioOne

It's really excellent and full of information. There are specifics it doesn't capture in every case or that may be debatable, but it is an absolutely awesome assemblage of the world's mythologies. It is a valuable reference.

Scientology can be argued to be partly an outgrowth of theosophy, Aliestar Crowley, and other Western occult traditions. I do not know how much "under the hood" these things are in Scientology as I never studied it, but I do know Hubbard hung in those circles, and the idea of mythologizing your own "new" religion was thick in some of those spheres.

I also feel Zoroastrianism should have a straight line into Islam, especially if you read Shia Muslim Persian literature, the influence is there. Sufism should have lines from Buddhism and Hinduism as well (the influence depended on the region.) Both Islam and Sufism should have lines from Hellenism and Gnosticism as well. That's what I always enjoyed about the Islamic and Sufi intellectual traditions, if you know your Buddhism, Hinduism, Gnosticism, Hellenism, Christianism, Judaism, and some Persian ancient monotheism you find aspects of it all in Islamic thought as Muslims absorbed parts of all those cultures and philosophies.

Great graph again.

Crowley would not go to scientology. The Golden Dawn has no similarities.
It's not even on the chart as a religion.

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 02:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

originally posted by: AudioOne

Great graph again.

Crowley would not go to scientology. The Golden Dawn has no similarities. It's not even on the chart as a religion.

Just curious: If Thelema was on the chart, where would you put it. Near Atenism, Kabbalah, or Hellenism? That would be a tough call.

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 07:06 AM
link   
I remember seeing this graph here on ATS some time ago... still good ground for connection between mythology and religion (there is actually no difference, except one is practiced and other just a subject in historical books) and diversity of our world...

Use of term 'evolution' probably creates 'automatic defense' among religions folks...

Thank you for sharing.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join