It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A 20-70BC Pompeii mural has been discovered

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 06:58 PM
link   
I love archeological finds like this. This one in particular is extremely well preserved (the color at least).

Complete Roman Fresco Discovered in Arles, France

ARLES, FRANCE—A mural resembling those at Pompeii has been discovered in the bedroom of a Roman villa in southern France. The fresco, which dates between 20 and 70 B.C., is one of only a few full murals to be found outside Italy. Among the 11 images in the painting, now in more than 12,000 fragments, is a depiction of a young woman playing a harp that had been painted in expensive Egyptian blue and red vermilion pigments. “There will be gaps, gaps in these reborn frescoes,” Marie-Pierre Roth of the National Institute of Preventive Archaeological Research (INRAP) told RFI. It could take ten years to reassemble the full fresco. To read more about Roman murals, go to
"Saving the Villa of the Mysteries."

www.Archaeology.com

The moment the Villa of the Mysteries was discovered in spring 1909, it was at risk. Once protected by a layer of at least 30 feet of the volcanic ash and soil that had fallen on Pompeii in A.D. 79, the villa’s stunning decoration was immediately exposed to potential damage from the elements and earthquakes, one of which occurred a bit more than a month after excavations began. As each wheelbarrow of debris was removed, revealing columns, artifacts, mosaics, and frescoes, the threat increased. It soon became clear that the house and its vibrant paintings were extraordinarily vulnerable, not only to sun, rain, and wind, but also to theft. Just three weeks after the discovery of one of the most stunning finds in the famed ancient city, excavations were halted and the focus shifted to protection and conservation. It would take archaeologists two more decades to completely excavate the property.

"Saving the Villa of the Mysteries."

Now if only I could have a replica and put it on my wall

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 07:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Ghost147

so I wonder if the ladies ran around in bed sheets too during that time.
edit on 13-7-2015 by FlySolo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Roman style was fascinating.
Apparently Pompeii was at the height of Roman Orgy period, excavations have shown many buildings decorated by Phallic (penis) symbols.....Perhaps "Pomp" and ceremony came from the word Pompeii....to party

The above fresco/mural is interesting.

I'd love to know the "Expert" opinion of it, but to me.....

The Woman kneeling at the right appears to be held down by a lance held by the young man in the middle. She appears to be appealing to the "Angel" with wings at the far right (interesting this is pre christian Romans).
The middle half cut off person, appears to be the rich old man in expensive robes, with a young man at his side, holding the young man affectionately (or forcefully) with his right hand over the young mans breast.

The far left appears to be an old man half dressed, offering some wine to a young boy, with another young boy in waiting.......interestingly there is a "Demon" face looking on in awe or some devilish way, on the old man/boy goings on.
All in all, looks like a typical debauched Roman scene of naughty Pedophilia/Homosexuality/subjugation of young women/boys for sex, type of scenario.

In other words, just another fun day in Pompeii.

No wonder the Gods were angry.....

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 08:40 PM
link   
a reply to: FlySolo

My wife runs around in bedsheets to this day!

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 09:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Ghost147

The city of Pompeii. A city of mass Sodom and Gomorrah. A city was destroyed by a volcano.

The continent of U.S.. A continent of mass Sodom and Gomorrah. The awakening of Yellowstone is inevitable!

edit on 13-7-2015 by mekhanics because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 12:33 PM
link   
That's an amazing find, after all these years. I'm always amazed when things like this turn up. How has it survived all this time?
Pompeii is a fascinating but tragic event. I can't imagine what they went through. I wonder how many other items from that era are still around in people's homes across Europe.

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 12:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlySolo
so I wonder if the ladies ran around in bed sheets too during that time.

The only women allowed to wear a toga were prostitutes.

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 05:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: rhynouk
That's an amazing find, after all these years. I'm always amazed when things like this turn up. How has it survived all this time?
Pompeii is a fascinating but tragic event. I can't imagine what they went through. I wonder how many other items from that era are still around in people's homes across Europe.

I believe I read in the article somewhere that it was covered by dirt, which would help explain the quality of the colour, and it's delicate nature to light and other elements

join