It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Ban On Transgender Individuals In The Military May Soon Be Lifted

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 02:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Arpad
Anyone remember how basic training was? Now imagine those drill sgts. having to walk on egg shells to accommodate these people. This will be a disaster.

They have to accommodate for female soldiers already. Homosexuals are allowed to serve now. Are you suggesting that Drill Sgts will have a tough time because they can't use homophobic swears anymore? I don't know what kind of Drill Sgts you were exposed to, but the ones I was exposed to were VERY creative with the way they yelled at you.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 02:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: CriticalStinker

What makes you think they'd be ineffectual soldiers? Do you think that transgenders have problems following orders or something?

When you need a steady supply of hormones to keep your body as is, deployments could be problematic. Chronic medical needs such as hypothyroid and needing thyroid replacement can make one undeployable. They shouldn't be in combat arms for this reason alone.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Baldryck

I would be surprised, frankly. The whole idea of being transgender is to live as you feel and believe you were meant to be, gender wise.

I can see some transgender people getting pretty upset at being told "here's the standard for men, here it is for women, here it is for "special" men and here it is for "special" women." I wouldn't be surprised if a percentage of them tried to milk the system, but I think a lot of them would be pretty pissed off to be treated as an "almost a dude but not quite."

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 02:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6
a reply to: galaga

Pro-tip: gays and heteros already shower together. How and why is a transgender man showering with other men now a problem?

How many death-by-powerpoint EEOC lectures have you been forced to watch? If the command goes into apoplectic conniptions about the very possibility a female service member might see a girly poster in male berthing, how will they be able to manage a swinging wiener in female heads?

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

It is not about what *they* want. It's about what the leadership and politicians think. There will most likely be separate standards whether the transgender wants it or not.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: NavyDoc

Maybe they won't be in combat arms. The article said they are taking their time figuring this out. So it remains to be seen what they can and cannot do within the military.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 02:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Baldryck
I am all for this. They can die fighting for their rights like the rest of us. I applaud the Military for this equal inclusion.

As long as there are equal physical standards and everybody is now eligible for the draft and nobody gets special consideration.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 02:28 PM
link   

And my point is that if that were to happen I would put money on any number of discrimination lawsuits.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 02:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: yeahsurexxx
hahaha.. I wonder how the chicks with dicks are welcomed in the middle east.

About as well as Christians with dicks, I suppose.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: yeahsurexxx

Hey Claps for you for being the one ignorant person to use slurs.. feel special

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 02:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Baldryck

The standards will change for them I am sure. Transgender will probably have their own standards. It is probably why they are waiting to implement the change.

That is the most likely answer. We are already seeing a move to lower standards with no females gratuating USMC infanty officer's course and when I was flying for the Navy, in the early 1990's, standards for flight school had to be lowered for females as too many were washing out.

Politicians and political flag officers will have a separate set of standards to ensure that the latest political inclusion will not wash out and there will be a lot of scrutiny on commands to make sure that the appropriate number of individuals are promoted, regardless of actual competitive performance. That is the way of today's military.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 02:33 PM
link   
a reply to: NavyDoc

And I'm pretty sure that's what they're working out. Pre-op versus post-op. Post op and pre op versus "I just identify as a dude and tape my boobs down but that's all I'm gonna do."

But to act like a post-op TG woman isn't going to be allowed to shower with other women is kinda silly I think.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Perhaps there will be lawsuits, but it will be from outside groups. Those who won't serve anyways. Those who do serve will adhere to the standards without complaint.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 02:38 PM
link   

"Without complaint?"

You've obviously never served if you think anything in the military is done "without complaint."

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Anyone remember how basic training was? Now imagine those drill sgts. having to walk on egg shells to accommodate these people. This will be a disaster.

They have to accommodate for female soldiers already. Homosexuals are allowed to serve now. Are you suggesting that Drill Sgts will have a tough time because they can't use homophobic swears anymore? I don't know what kind of Drill Sgts you were exposed to, but the ones I was exposed to were VERY creative with the way they yelled at you.

Old school infantry style training. When busting our balls they were lewd and crude, and when joking around they were lewd and crude. They were taking boys and making them men, how does that process work for a trans?

I'm not against them, just give them their own units.
edit on 13-7-2015 by Arpad because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 02:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Arpad

They don't need their own units. By the way, I was in Field Artillery. It's not like I wasn't exposed to any crassness. But it is 100% possible to be crass but not offensive to a particular group of people. If your only way to yell at your soldiers is to use homophobic slurs, then you need to expand your horizons.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 02:41 PM
link   

I served 20 years and 13 days. I also still work daily in with the military as a civilian. You mistake what I mean by complaint. There is always complaining, there will just be no official complaints. That is why they are taking their time implementing it. I am certain they are getting all their ducks and standards in a row before going through with it.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Arpad

Because if it was a Trans Man than it would still be as you put it

They taking boys and making them men,

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Guess we'll see.

If the whole idea is be treated as an equal, I don't think a TG man is going to be happy about not being treated as one.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Old school infantry style training. When busting our balls they lewd and crude, and when joking around they were lewd and crude. They taking boys and making them men, how does that process work for a trans?

I'm not against them, just give them their own units.

I think you just have misconceptions of what a transgender person goes through to transition.

This man:

... is more than sufficient to deal with infantry training. He was born with a vagina. There are countless examples of this. All of you physical prowess you have as a man is not because of your penis; it's testosterone which transmen has access to in the same amounts that you do.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join