It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Ban On Transgender Individuals In The Military May Soon Be Lifted

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Here's some interesting news coming out. Apparently the military is finalizing plans to lift the ban against transgenders from joining and serving. This makes the last sexuality barrier being removed from the military and finally everyone will be able to enlist and serve regardless of what team they are batting for or what they look like.

The Ban On Transgender Individuals In The Military May Soon Be Lifted

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Associated Press has learned that Pentagon leaders are finalizing plans aimed at lifting the ban on transgender individuals serving in the military.

Senior U.S. officials say an announcement is expected this week. They say the military would have six months to determine the impact and work out details, with the presumption that they would end one of the last gender- or sexuality-based barriers to military service.

The officials say that during the transition, transgender individuals would still not be able to join the military. Decisions to force out those already serving would have to be referred to a top Defense Department leader.

Several officials familiar with the planning spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the issue before the details have been worked out.

So it looks like this is DEFINITELY happening, but while the military is transitioning to this more open environment they won't open the doors to transgenders until the plan is completely in place. Looks pretty cool to me.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 01:42 PM
link   
I have nothing against transgender people, but I do worry with doctors messing with their hormones and possible problems from the past (I'm assuming changing your gender is one of the most extreme life changes you can make). Like I said, their body, their right to change it. But I wonder how effective soldiers they'd be.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Seeing as men and women aren't really allowed to fill the exact same positions, I know women are more restricted than men. I wonder if male to female will follow the female restrictions, and if female to male will be allowed to serve fully as a male.

Since currently only men can be drafted last I heard, I wonder if male to females are exempt, and do female to males then become draftable...

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Great news. I know of some truly alpha male transmen who would jump at the chance to serve in this way. Transwomen, on the other hand, normally enlist as a way to keep suppressing their dysphoria and transition afterwards (when they finally confront the issue). I personally know of one transwoman who went through this and she'd probably reenlist if allowed to even if it's to simply gain some closure.

I never understood the desire to enlist but I believe a military that represents a diverse population is always better than a homogeneous one.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 01:50 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

The same concept was advanced in regards to women and their hormones and the whole "they bleed for a week" notion.

If they can meet standards (that is, standards don't have to be lowered to achieve inclusiveness at the expense of capability) then why shouldn't they be able to be in?

If we're going to be open and accepting, let's be open and accepting. Just not at the sake of capability.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 01:53 PM
link   

What makes you think they'd be ineffectual soldiers? Do you think that transgenders have problems following orders or something?

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 01:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Puppylove
Seeing as men and women aren't really allowed to fill the exact same positions, I know women are more restricted than men. I wonder if male to female will follow the female restrictions, and if female to male will be allowed to serve fully as a male.

Since currently only men can be drafted last I heard, I wonder if male to females are exempt, and do female to males then become draftable...

This is probably why it is taking so long for them to implement this policy. Ironing out the details must be a headache.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Not that I believe in all these trumped up wars but anyone should be able to join the military if they meet the requirements.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 01:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
This is probably why it is taking so long for them to implement this policy. Ironing out the details must be a headache.

I don't envy them their jobs here, but I do appreciate the efforts.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 02:00 PM
link   
But they shower together.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Wonder how they are going to apply the standards, the branches have separate standards for males and females.

As long as they meet what is applied to them then I have no issue.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 02:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: galaga
But they shower together.

There will probably be some considerations taken in regards to this. For example a transwoman who's had SRS would be able to shower with other women and none would even know she was born with a penis. But... yeah, if she has a penis then perhaps she'd get a separate shower time or something.

Transmen, same story but it's a bit more complicated.

I think much of this will depend on how far along the soldier is in their transition.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 02:11 PM
link   
hahaha.. I wonder how the chicks with dicks are welcomed in the middle east.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: galaga

Pro-tip: gays and heteros already shower together. How and why is a transgender man showering with other men now a problem?

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 02:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Women are natural. And I'm not some closed minded bigot, im just pointing out that without modern medicine and changing the makeup of these individuals they wouldn't be possible. Not saying ban them from the workplace or look down on them, just saying that the military is a demanding place and I'd be curious on that one.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Anyone remember how basic training was? Now imagine those drill sgts. having to walk on egg shells to accommodate these people. This will be a disaster.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I am all for this. They can die fighting for their rights like the rest of us. I applaud the Military for this equal inclusion.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 02:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Arpad
Anyone remember how basic training was? Now imagine those drill sgts. having to walk on egg shells to accommodate these people. This will be a disaster.

They already to for various other reasons. This will be no different.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Women are natural, yes. And yet...the same comments about hormones were used about them.

I didn't mean to imply you sound bigoted at all. If it did, then you have my apologies. But as I said, if the standards can be met, then they should be allowed to serve like anybody else.

Key phrase: standards can be met. I don't want to see standards lowered for any reason. Not even being inclusive.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

The standards will change for them I am sure. Transgender will probably have their own standards. It is probably why they are waiting to implement the change.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join