It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Native American Spirituality - The Great Spirit & The Tower of Babel

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 12:34 PM
link   
In another Dimension, on another String, In a Parallel Universe, life as was we know it took a turn in the right direction 500 years ago.

500 years ago white men who claimed to believe in the OT came and found the red man living in harmony with nature.

In the Alternative Reality mankind believed the prophecy found in the story of the Tower of Babel. When the white man came across the waters to the home of the red man in this Better Reality, they remember the Tower of Babel. When they looked at the red man they saw what could only be described as long lost brothers. They embraced and wept in joy, for God had made a way for us to be reunited.

The red man told of the Great Spirit and how it commanded his ancestors to live with honor, high morales, and to live in harmony with all life. The white man immediately understood that God did not forsake the red man at the Tower of Babel but that he had sent them prophets and teachers, because the white man understood that the Great Spirit was the Holy Spirit.

In the Alternative Reality the red man shared his spirituality and harmonious lifestyle with the white man, and the white man told the red man how the Great Spirit came in the form of man to teach our ancestors.

In the Alternative Reality they built what the white man called cities and established lands for the Nomads. They lived in harmony with each other and with nature.

Is it to late for us to join those who live in this Alternative Reality? Can we forgive, embrace and heal, and make this Alternative Reality our Reality?

A few quotes from a book tilted "Indian Spirit"- Michael and Judith Fitzgerald.

We saw the Great Spirit's work in almost everything: sun, moon, trees, wind, and mountains. Sometimes we approached him through these things. Was that so bad? I think we have a true belief in the supreme being, a stronger faith than that of most whites who have called us pagans... Indians living close to nature and nature's ruler are not living in darkness. - Waking Buffalo, Stoney

I am bothered what to believe. Some years ago a good man, as I think, came to us. He talked me out of all my old faith; and after a while, thinking that he must know more of these matters than an ignorant Indian, I joined his church, and became a Methodist. After a while he went away; another man came and talked, and I became a Baptist; then another came and talked, and I became a Presbyterian. Now another one has come, and wants me to be Episcopalian. All these people tell different stories, and each wants me to believe that his special way is the only way to be good and save my soul.

I have made up my mind that either they all lie, or that they don't know any more about it than I did at first. I have always believed in the Grest Spirit, and worshiped him in my own way. These people don't seem to want to change my belief in the Great Spirit, but to change my way of talking to him. - Spotted Tail, Blue Lakota.

The truly brave man, we contend, yields neither to fear nor anger, desire nor agony; he is at all times master of himself. - Ohiyesa, Wahpeton Dakota.

Naturally magnanimous and open-minded, the red man prefers to believe the the Spirit of God is not breathed into man alone, but that the whole created universe is a sharer in the immortal perfection of its maker. - Ohiyesa

It was our belief that the love of possessions is a weakness to be overcome. Its appeal is to the material part, and if allowed it will in time disturb the spiritual balance of man. - Ohiyesa

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Isurrender73

So in your fantasy universe the Natives just openly accepted Christianity and just abandoned their hundreds of years of religions just like that. All because a bunch of people from across the sea showed up one day? Well that is certainly one way to avoid the hundreds of years of persecution the Natives suffered since 1492 when Columbus started enslaving the Natives.
edit on 13-7-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 12:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

So in your fantasy universe the Natives just openly accepted Christianity and just abandoned their hundreds of years of religions just like that. All because a bunch of people from across the sea showed up one day/

No they didn't abandon anything, because in my alternative reality they realized that they were both worshipping the same God to begin with. They joined the stories into one, and lived in harmony.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 12:51 PM
link   

But the natives didn't worship the same god, or ANY god really. The natives' belief system was WORLDS different than any old world religions. Even the polytheistic ones.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Isurrender73 A very important piece of scripture that carries the Narrative forward to today Deu 32:8 When the Most High gave nations as their inheritance, when he separated the human race, he set boundaries for the people according to the number of the children of God.
Deu 32:9 For the LORD's portion is his people; Jacob is his allotted portion.

I posted this somewhere else but thought it would fit here . The truth about stories A Native Narrative . In his 2003 Massey lecture, award-winning author and scholar Thomas King looks at the breadth and depth of Native experience and imagination.

Beginning with Native oral stories, King weaves his way through literature and history, religion and politics, popular culture and social protest, in an effort to make sense of North America's relationship with its Aboriginal peoples.

Thomas King holds a PhD in English/American Studies from the University of Utah and has taught Native Studies at Utah, California, Minnesota, and Alberta for the past twenty-five years. He is currently Professor of English (teaching Native Literature and Creative Writing) at the University of Guelph. His widely-acclaimed novels include Medicine River, Green Grass,Running Water, and Truth and Bright Water, and he has been nominated for the Governor General's Award as well as the Commonwealth Writer's Prize. He is the editor of All My Relations: An Anthology of Contemporary Canadian Native Fiction, and co-editor of The Native in Literature: Canadian and Comparative Perspectives. His popular CBC series, The Dead Dog Café, is being adapted as an animated television series. His father was Cherokee, his mother is Greek, and King is the first Massey lecturer of Native descent.

www.cbc.ca...
edit on 13-7-2015 by the2ofusr1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 12:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Isurrender73

So in your fantasy universe the Natives just openly accepted Christianity and just abandoned their hundreds of years of religions just like that. All because a bunch of people from across the sea showed up one day/

No they didn't abandon anything, because in my alternative reality they realized that they were both worshipping the same God to begin with. They joined the stories into one, and lived in harmony.

There is a problem with your version of events and it is called "reality".

It's a place in which most people live. You should visit sometime.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 01:01 PM
link   

But the natives didn't worship the same god, or ANY god really. The natives' belief system was WORLDS different than any old world religions. Even the polytheistic ones.

The Great Spirit is the Holy Spirit. They had different rituals that helped them associate with the Holy Spirit.

Each time we talk about one of our sacred rites, you will hear me talk about the spiritual attitudes which a person must possess as that person participates in any rite. It is possible to learn the outer steps that must be accomplished in a rite without learning the inner meanings that are the keys to the sacred traditions. Each seeker must therefore open his heart to the Great Mystery as he tries to follow the sacred way, because the perfect accomplishment of the outer steps of a rite will be nothing without the knowledge of the inner meanings. -Yellowtail, Absaroke.

From what I have read most Native Americans equate the Great Spirit with the Creator God and/or the Holy Spirit.

edit on 13-7-2015 by Isurrender73 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 01:10 PM
link   
a reply to: highfromphoenix

I would disagree. I say the problem is our current reality. I see no reason why we can't forgive and heal and move towards a better reality.

We are only stuck in this current reality because everyone believes we are. Once people realize that we can create a new reality, we will rise up and create a new reality.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 01:16 PM
link   

From what I have read most Native Americans equate the Great Spirit with the Creator God and/or the Holy Spirit.
A easy misunderstanding to make and one they themselves may have made . Perspective and context is something we all could use more of and with that said I offer you this to consider and see if it has some useful information .

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Christianity is the truth. Therefore, all other philosophies, belief systems, and religions owe their existence to Christianity in some way, even if they had to plagiarize to get it. C'mon Krazyshot. You know the drill.

(Oh, to have real emoticons again.)

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Then you don't understand how Native society works then. For one, the religions of the natives are all VASTLY different. Columbus encountered the Arawaks in 1492 who had more of a polytheistic religion. The Powhatans had beliefs similar to what you are talking about. Then we can talk about the Hopi who believed even more differently than those two.

Native American Religion

Pre-Columbian Native spirituality in the Americas spanned the forms of animism, polytheism, the use of plants to enter higher mental or spiritual states, special dances or rituals, and a high regard for the overall well-being of the tribe. Some of these practices continue today in private tribal ceremonies.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

New Agers want to unite all religions under a single "One World Religion" by attempting to make up an alternate world view that we all worship the same God which of course is fantasy.

The Chrislam movement along with many others s have been pushing this agenda which of course is what we call "The Great Deception" false prophet / anti-Christ one world religion.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Nice story but I don't see it. For one, when speaking of Indigenous Americans, Native Americans, or American Indians, you're just using a blanket term that encompasses 500 distinct cultures. See this thread: www.abovetopsecret.com...

For another, these people wouldn't willingly give up their spirituality. The only reason that some did is because the only other choice was death. Between mass murder if they refused, being starved to death arrested or outright killed on the reservations if they refused, or having the ever living # beat out of them in the boarding schools if caught speaking their languages (let alone worshiping in the way of their ancestors) there really wasn't much choice. Hell, today many are fighting to keep their ways alive and their sacred lands from being despoiled.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 01:39 PM
link   

They had many rituals. They believed in Angels as higher spiritual beings.

Jist like Christ is the core of all 40,000 denominations of Christianity, although they teach different understanding of rituls. Do they all believe in the Holy Spirit? Yes.

The Great Spirit, Wanka Tanka, The Great Mystery. They are all considered the same and the core of nearly ever major native American tradition. They all believe in the Holy Spirit.

I am far from the first one to make this connection.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 01:41 PM
link   
The fact that so many here disagree with the OP tells me that he or she is exposing a once hidden truth.

There is much evidence that suggests that many Native Americans walked with God just like those written about in the Word of God.

The Native American Indians descended from the ancient Hebrews and called God “Yo He Wah” (the three Hebrew letters) and Yah-Wah (not Yahweh, Jave, Java, nor Jehovah).

“From these different writers, it is plain that where the Indians have not been corrupted by foreigners, their customs and religious worship are nearly alike; and also that every different tribe or nation of Indians uses such-like divine proper name, and awful [fearful] sounds, as Yah-Wah and Hetovah, being trans-positions of the divine essential name [Yo He Wah], as our northern Indians often repeat in their religious dances.

In the 1770’s, an unsuspecting man named James Adair stumbled across some powerful information in his curiosity for truth. You won’t get this from mainstream news, but the native American Indians descended from the Biblical Hebrews. You won’t hear this in mainstream Christianity, but the native American Indians worshiped the same god that the Biblical Hebrews did. Do you know what God’s name is?

Lesson from American Indians and Biblical Hebrews

originally posted by: G0v0D47
Check the DNA analysis of Native Americans and other tribes around the world that scattered during different time periods, u will find those peoples are the original tribes of Judah...

Many people don't know that the Native American Indians knew the sacred name YHWH - (GOD - The Father) - before others ever came to this land... YHWH's name is all through the history, the songs, the stories and the ways of life of the Eastern Shawnee, Eastern Cherokee, Powhatan, Hopewell and Fort Ancients... Although there are a few spelling variations and/or attributes - YHWH - YHVH - YOWAH - YaHWeH - YaHVeH - YeHoWaH - YeHehaWaHeha - YoHehaWavoHe - Yodh Heh Wah Heh... They all are the name of the Eternal Creator of heaven and earth.

The Native (North and South) American Indians have a relationship with YHVH (YHWH) that precedes the white man’s gospel. How did they know? I have asked one American Indian, and he says they do not consider themselves as descending from ancient Israelites. Yet they have similar spiritualities. The spirit of Indian music reflects the spirit of Yahweh. How did the 10 commandments end up in New Mexico? Especially on stone? It is clear that the Indians of America possess a special spirituality that reminds Christians and Jews of the holy teachings given by Yahweh.

In some tribes, there may be a direct ancestral connection to the ancient Israelites. In other tribes, there may be no connection at all. But, it is clear that Yahweh has revealed Himself to some of these peoples, and this reflects in their actions, values, songs, prophecies, and traditions. We need to de-program ourselves from thinking that Yahweh would only want to reveal Himself to just one part of His creation, the Israelites.

Yahweh and the American Indians

The American Cherokee Indians worship the Supreme Being, Ye ho waah or Yo ho wah, which is very similar to the Hebrew name of God (Yahweh or Yahoveh). The Cherokee Indians believe in one Supreme Being--the Creator-- and have surprising connections to Christianity.

Ancient Cherokee Indians believed before 1750 that God was going to appear on Earth as a man and they called this person by five different Old Testament (Hebrew) names for Jesus. The Cherokees have three actual cities of refuge, they have the stories of the great flood, and many other Old Testament stories. They also adhere to the prohibitions found within the Ten Commandments.

The Cherokee belived in Yahweh (God of the Hebew)

Legends of the Pale Prophet from the Native Peoples of the Americas

The legends that follow are the legends of the Healer. These legends were told by the fireside of a "saintly white teacher," who performed miracles with healing and control over the winds, waters, and other natural items. All describe his eyes as gray-green like the ocean and told stories of the future. His symbol has been woven into blankets, carved on canyon walls, put on pottery and danced in dances. His name has been given to mountains and rivers.

Though the stories are many and spread throughout the Americas, they are broken into bits and pieces, hard to follow and piece together into one tale. His name varied, most names were reflective of his control over the wind and water, as he would request each tribe to name Him as they wished, stating there was no value to a name.

Common to almost all:

• He was a white man with a beard
• He said He came from across the sea
• He would choose twelve "disciples"
• He spoke of His Father's Kingdom
• He wore a bright white garment with golden sandals
• He made references to the future
• He had control over the wind and all elements
• He had the ability to heal wounds
• His sign was the cross
• He taught love and peace
• He taught that good deeds were important
• He referred them to the Dawn Star

He Walked the Americas - A story about Christ in the Americas

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

Other than some firnge cultures, that practiced ritual sacrifice, cannibalism and other religious ideas that we consider barbaric, they all followed a devine spiritual source.

The Source of the unseen Spirit has taken many names. Wanka Tanka, the Great Spirit, the Great Mystery. These are all examples of the Devine Spirit within.

Thier is only one God and One Devine Spirit that connects us all. Give it whatever name you want, if the path is peace and harmony the Spirit is the Holy Spirit.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 01:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Isurrender73

They had many rituals. They believed in Angels as higher spiritual beings.

Who is "they"? Stop generalizing all natives as one culture. It didn't work that way.

Jist like Christ is the core of all 40,000 denominations of Christianity, although they teach different understanding of rituls. Do they all believe in the Holy Spirit? Yes.

No, it ISN'T like that at all and you are going to have to actually produce some evidence of this claim, because the several sources -I- posted show that this isn't the case.

The Great Spirit, Wanka Tanka, The Great Mystery. They are all considered the same and the core of nearly ever major native American tradition. They all believe in the Holy Spirit.

No, they aren't. You need to go do some more research and deny some ignorance.

I am far from the first one to make this connection.

And? Your point? So you aren't the first one to lie about native history and religion. So what?

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 01:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker

New Agers want to unite all religions under a single "One World Religion" by attempting to make up an alternate world view that we all worship the same God which of course is fantasy.

The Chrislam movement along with many others s have been pushing this agenda which of course is what we call "The Great Deception" false prophet / anti-Christ one world religion.

The anti-Christ is said to be one who forces you take take a mark, perform a ritual, before you can be a member of their club. By the very nature the anti-Christ is one who divides.

I am preaching unity, One God and One Holy Spirit. I am not asking you to take any mark or ritual. Nor am I bringing any word that should cause you separation.

I am not teaching a kingdom divided, but a kingdom united. A divided Kingdom can not stand.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 01:54 PM
link   

They believed in A (holy) spirit. NOT the Christian "Holy Spirit". See my signature.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 02:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified

They believed in A (holy) spirit. NOT the Christian "Holy Spirit". See my signature.

There is only One God and One Devine Spirit.

A man cannot speak about the Devine Spirit unless he has connected to it. The words from the Native American Spiritual teachers that I have read come from the mouths of men who were divinely inspired.

Since Christ is the only Holy Spirit, the One and only source of Devine Inspiration, these men must have been following him. They gave him a name or title that was appropriate for their language.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join