It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wall hanging decor identification

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I know this doesn't pertain to any specific faith based discussion, but I'm curious whether this medallion has any sort of religious or spiritual associations. I can't seem to find any information on it, and general image searches only reveal commercial results. It doesn't appear to be old by any means. What I immediately observe is the Celtic-like 'chain' at the top, combined with the potentially satanic symbolism in the center and the way the heads are arranged and appear like 6's.

It's weird and I'm stumped, who has an idea?

EDIT: I just received updated info about it. It's about the size of a baseball and hanging in a classroom, not a medallion as I thought.
edit on 13-7-2015 by Septimus because: corrected size

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Septimus
What I see in the middle is the "three-legged" symbol of the Isle of Man.
It looks as though it's built up around that.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Not 100% but those three dudes look like they are in the formation of a Celtic water symbol.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 12:36 PM
link   

edit on 13-7-2015 by BlastedCaddy because: ....

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 12:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
What I see in the middle is the "three-legged" symbol of the Isle of Man.
It looks as though it's built up around that.

I thought about that too, though I'm not sure why the feet would be at the mouth of the heads.

originally posted by: TheLieWeLive

Not 100% but those three dudes look like they are in the formation of a Celtic water symbol.

It definitely seems watery in how it's designed, with the hair of the heads 'flowing' into each other. Meant to perhaps be some sort of Celtic fēng shuǐ?

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 12:47 PM
link   

It's definitely a triskelion and the Celtic knotting on top sort of tells you the flavor. The symbol itself usually used legs but not always.

I can tell you that it's not "Satanic". It could be representative of several different spiritual/cultural paths but the triskelion predates even Celtic usage and you can safely say it's not related to the Abrahamic faiths in a canonical way.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Cuervo

Interesting. I suppose since it appears to be a more modern take on it, we wouldn't see exactly what might be expected from traditional works. The overall design seems to be rotating inward, rather than starting from the center and flowing out like I'm seeing with most triskelion motifs.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 01:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Septimus
I thought about that too, though I'm not sure why the feet would be at the mouth of the heads.

It seemed to me that the legs were doubling up as tongues.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 01:12 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

I can sort of see that on the head at the upper right. It's certainly an interesting design.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Definately a triskelion in form and the celtic knot confirms the culture implied, but it is probably a modern made piece. The casting material looks to be of modern resin. I use several of these resins and other epoxies. I see people selling literally millions of mold designs on the market and none of them are typical of what you would find in an actual archaeological site. They are usually modern interpretations of the same symbology that spans many cultures.

Def not an evil sign. More likely a symbol of the ever changing winds, or water, or the cyclical patterns in the seasons, or just life.

The thing about symbols is, that anyone can take any symbol and apply any meaning to it. The symbols that we see today are generally geometric in nature. They are usually symetrical and in proportion. That is why they are appealing. But i'm sure you could brainstorm any number of themes for any one of them. People/groups commandeer symbols all the time. That is how you get two dif groups argueing over the meaning of a flag, they have both given the symbol a meaning that the other group disagrees with.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 07:07 PM
link   
There's nothing "potentially Satanic" about it, nor are there any sixes. It's a stylized triskelion.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Triskelion! This is why I come to ATS. You can spend hours scanning through all the posts here and find nothing that excites you. Then suddenly someone comes at you with something like, "Triskelion".

Now you've gone and taught me something new and I am compelled to look it up and learn more about it.

Thank you. Thank you all. Peace.

new topics

top topics

join