It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Y Ddraig Goch" The Red Dragon flag of Wales should be banned!!!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I am from Wales originally, although I've lived longer in England now. This is our flag:

As a child I was jealous of the simple Tricolour of Ireland, or St George's cross for England because ours was so difficult to draw.
My attempts always looked some slightly angry small lizard with wings and everyone else in class would have some different interpretation of the dragon. Too complicated, way too hard to knock a quick flag up for a protest, so I say ban it.

My alternative is the cross of St David, which is flown informally by many, but the Christian undertones are probably offensive to some. Even though it is nice and simple to draw:

Heck, who has ever seen a dragon anyway, let alone a red one?
In a nation of just over 3 million people and about 9 million sheep how about we just bite the bullet and go for this:

Again, tricky to draw, but a standard cartoon 'cloud' style sheep would be easier than that tricky dragon, and no reference to myths or religion, Grr!

So, is your nation's flag hard to draw if you need to knock up a quick patriotic banner which doesn't look like a 3 year olds painting??

...yeah, I know, life ain't that bad if that's all I've got to rant about, but with all the talk of flags on ATS right now, well, you know.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 12:24 PM
link   
How could you deprive the people of Wales of one of their most proud symbols? The Dragon, Daffodils, Leeks and Rugby is all they have.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 12:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Cobaltic1978

Behave, Daffodils, leeks, and rugby is all you need, with responsible ale drinking of course.
Dragons FFS I've never seen one, although as a child my Mother convinced me that a foot high friendly dragon called Idris lived behing the garden shed.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 12:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand
a reply to: Cobaltic1978

Behave, Daffodils, leeks, and rugby is all you need, with responsible ale drinking of course.
Dragons FFS I've never seen one, although as a child my Mother convinced me that a foot high friendly dragon called Idris lived behing the garden shed.

You should have had your mother draw your flags for you as a child.

Honestly, Wales has just about the coolest flag in the world. I mean... it's a freakin' dragon. How awesome is that?

ps edit - I wanted to add that Albania's flag might be a bit more awesome but not by much.
edit on 13-7-2015 by Cuervo because: added stuffs and stuffs

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 12:40 PM
link   
I like the Welsh flag its pretty cool to look at.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Cuervo

Haha, my Mam was a great hair stylist but no better at drawing dragons than I was!
Nope, not convinced, ban the flag I say.

...Albania's looks rock hard difficult to draw, should be banned as well!

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 12:47 PM
link   
a reply to: EnigmaAgent

Not enough justification for me, I was at a festival a couple of years ago and the children's face painting stall was charging £1.50 for an English flag of St George, but £3 for a Welsh flag on the cheek, the woman was Welsh herself!
Ban it!!!

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 12:53 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

If we are on about banning flags deemed to be offensive-how about banning the saint george's cross of England?

Saint George and the dragon slaying story has some pretty negative connotations for us Welsh-even though the English never took over our country fully-all they could manage was to get beseiged in their castles,slaughtered by welsh rebel guerrilla tactics and superior weaponry outside of their strongholds(see the welsh bow,and how it was later adopted as the english longbow) and attempt to ban the welsh language through the horrific torture of those who dared to speak it,which failed.

Not to mention the cross of Saint George was of course the symbol used by the templars in the crusades,one of the most bloody attempts at religious warfare in history...

Just for balance,you know.
Cymru am byth.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Silcone Synapse

There is definitely blood on many flags that's for sure. I appreciate the reminder and I was well versed in Welsh history at school, 1282 and all that, but we must remember that our own princes/lords sold the people out as well. Heck, not much different to modern politics, just minus the deaths by sword.

Still, it remains one of the most difficult flags to draw so no, not convinced...ban it!

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Just found the flag of Dominica...

Oh think of the children drawing that! Should be banned as well!

*Edit*
...and Turkmenistan is just having a laugh for sure, think of the children!!!

edit on 13.7.2015 by grainofsand because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I say take that cross idea you had, turn the cross diagonally and put stars inside the stripes... 13's a good random number.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: rexsblues

Hahaha! Very good

...you deserve 13 stars for that haha

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Love the dragon. Very cool, although hard to draw.
Canada's maple leaf in the center of our flag is tricky to draw right, some people just draw the pot leaf in there instead, poorly drawn maple leaves end up looking like that anyways....

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 01:57 PM
link   
For that matter, drawing the Union Jack right is more difficult than it looks.
If you're not careful, it's flying upside-down.
(Its a question of where the diagonal red cross fits inside the diagonal white cross)

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 01:57 PM
link   
a reply to: snowspirit

Haha thanks for the reply, made me chuckle imagining your crayon interpretations of Canada's flag as a child!
If you have one, please do take a pic and post it here

My Mam is a 3 hour drive away so I can't check if she still has any of my Welsh Flag disasters in old school art right now, but I'm visiting in a weekend or two so I'm definitely gonna rummage through her cupboards.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

Yep that is so true!
I remember a teacher in primary school explaining it imagining water running left towards the triangles.
Worked for me...same as a teacher in secondary school teaching me the < and > symbols with a similar 'water running from the left' explanation.
He also added that we read and write from left to right so that's how you know to remember the direction of flow.
Lol, hadn't thought of that for a while.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 02:10 PM
link   
I can think of one myth referenced in using a Sheep flag...
Ban it before it's even a thing

edit on 13-7-2015 by CharlieSpeirs because: (no reason given)

No Wales flag, strange, seems harder than some of the others.

Unless your Arabic calligraphy is spot on, Saudi Arabia's is probably the hardest.
edit on 13-7-2015 by CharlieSpeirs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 02:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
I can think of one myth referenced in using a Sheep flag...
Ban it before it's even a thing

Oh I don't know, I'm finding myself strangely more drawn to this the more I look at it.

You can take the Welshman out of Wales but you can't take...

BAN IT!!! THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!!

#REDSTRIPENOTDRAGON

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 03:00 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

Hmm,that sheep flag...you are lucky I am not some kind of hardcore neo liberal type or I would be seriously offended!!
We have no red limp wristed sheep in Wales you know.

The ISIS/Deash flag is pretty tricky to draw as well,ain't it?

That is their flag,right?

edit on 13/7/2015 by Silcone Synapse because: yes i know

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 03:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Silcone Synapse
We have no red limp wristed sheep in Wales you know.

How is the pictured sheep limp-wristed?
In the technical terminology of heraldry, that is a sheep "passant".

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join